It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:17

Text Size

Can I help with the missing card images?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Can I help with the missing card images?

Postby Xyx » 02 Apr 2014, 14:51

BNG and C13 have been out for a while but Forge still doesn't have the images. What's the hold-up? Can I help? What's involved? If it's just a matter of data entry/grunt work/downloading the images from Gatherer then I'd be happy to lend a hand.
Xyx
Tester

Re: Can I help with the missing card images?

Postby friarsol » 02 Apr 2014, 15:27

This is basically question #11 in the FAQ. The CCGHQ Team lives over on the viewforum.php?f=15 forums. Looks like they are about 9 scans away from the full set, and then processing needs to happen on it.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Xyx » 02 Apr 2014, 23:48

Why doesn't Forge simply download the images from Gatherer, at least for the time being? I've seen image urls in the card files and I assume those are used somewhere.
Xyx
Tester

Postby friarsol » 03 Apr 2014, 02:56

We used to have an option to download from magiccards.info, but it was more problematic than it was worth, especially since they just get their final images from there. Additionally, IIRC the sizes are all different than what we use on the different sites. Honestly, it has only been noticeable in the last few sets due to the switchover of personnel. Once they get their latest process down, it seems like it's going to be as fast as it used to be last year.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby moomarc » 03 Apr 2014, 10:39

Xyx wrote:Why doesn't Forge simply download the images from Gatherer, at least for the time being? I've seen image urls in the card files and I assume those are used somewhere.
The urls in the scripts are used for the non-set low res download. For the set images I process the HQ pics that the CCGHQ team puts together. Forge will try to use set images first, then fall back to the non-set images if available. They are downloaded to the root pictures cache folder. And besides, anyone that wants to can use one of the gatherer downloaders in the main board's thread for utilities (or maybe in Pictures; can't really remember). I don't post any substitutes in the meanwhile because otherwise the downloader won't pick up that there's new files that should replace the old ones.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby friarsol » 03 Apr 2014, 12:18

moomarc wrote:
Xyx wrote:Why doesn't Forge simply download the images from Gatherer, at least for the time being? I've seen image urls in the card files and I assume those are used somewhere.
The urls in the scripts are used for the non-set low res download.
I'm not sure card scripts have URLs anymore do they? I think Max got rid of them at some point. I'm not particularly sure what non-set low res uses these days.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby moomarc » 04 Apr 2014, 18:06

friarsol wrote:
moomarc wrote:
The urls in the scripts are used for the non-set low res download.
I'm not sure card scripts have URLs anymore do they? I think Max got rid of them at some point. I'm not particularly sure what non-set low res uses these days.
Nope, they're still there. And they're necessary for schemes and some other variant cards, as well as flip cards iirc, so that there's a separate image for flipped and unflipped. Max just got rid of the set line, end line and text line where it wasn't needed.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Return to Developer's Corner