It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:34

Text Size

Adding creatures to combat blocking

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Adding creatures to combat blocking

Postby elcnesh » 01 Jun 2014, 13:20

When adding creatures to the battlefield blocking (as ie. Brimaz does), the attacking player must immediately announce the order that creature will take in the pre-existing damage assignment order of the blocking creature (rule 509.6). This isn't yet implemented (causing also the bug mentioned here.

The attached patch implements this by asking the player to select the location of the new creature in the damage assignment order. The interface it uses isn't entirely suited for it, but afaik it's the only way to do it using pre-existing interface elements.
This any good? Could a dedicated interface element be implemented for this (or could it be done using existing elements), where you wouldn't have to click "cancel" to put the creature first?
Attachments
forge_combat_addblocker.txt
(10.35 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
elcnesh

Re: Adding creatures to combat blocking

Postby swordshine » 01 Jun 2014, 14:26

It's pretty nice to see someone try to fix those bugs. =D> I'm not familiar with the crazy attack/block codes in Forge. IIRC, if this is fixed, some remaining cards with "Defined Blockers" might be implemented (Balduvian Warlord,
False Orders, Flash Foliage, General Jarkeld, Nature Shields Its Own, Sorrow's Path, Ydwen Efreet).
swordshine

Postby elcnesh » 01 Jun 2014, 14:44

Thx :) Some of these could definitely be implemented, but things with "becoming unblocked" I'm not so sure about... I'll have a look.
elcnesh

Postby friarsol » 02 Jun 2014, 12:11

Hey elcnesh, if noone has checked out your patch during the day, I think I should be able to get to it tonight.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby friarsol » 03 Jun 2014, 14:17

I think the only thing that feels clunky here is the using cancel for putting the blocker first. Hopefully we can convince one of the more graphically inclined devs to mock up a UI dialog to handle that scenario.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Developer's Corner