It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:09

Text Size

Generate sealed decks for quest opponents

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Generate sealed decks for quest opponents

Postby excessum » 12 Aug 2014, 11:36

Is it possible to devise an option to run pseudo-worlds where the opponent decks are essentially automatically generated from SealedCardPoolGenerator.generateSealedDeck()? The Limited deck-creation code seems robust enough for the three recent blocks (M14, THS, M15) so I assume generic cube-Draft or Sealed should work. The standard 6-booster format should be good for easy opponents. Increasing the number of boosters or randomly adding bomb rares should be sufficient to bump them to medium opponents.

I am interested in this mainly because it is a real pain to build worlds for specific cubes in order to get opponents and rewards with the same card pool. Additionally, I doubt it is much fun creating weak decks just to make up the requisite number of opponent decks. Sealed decks would have the advantage of being completely independent to generate unlike Draft so if necessary, the duel screen can be populated on the fly.

I am totally unfamiliar with the GUI code so it will be helpful if there are any resources available to help in this.
excessum

Re: Generate sealed decks for quest opponents

Postby KrazyTheFox » 13 Aug 2014, 00:23

Kind of in a similar vein, but really not is another idea I had. There's a bunch of sites that allow people to showcase decks they've built, so it may be possible to scrape some of those and gather some decks to tweak for Forge. It's one of the things I was planning on doing for quest commander, but it may also work for worlds and extra quest opponents. The problem to solve there would be sorting decks by strength...

What you want sounds like it'd be possible (effectiveness notwithstanding), but I've not dug into that code at all either.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby excessum » 13 Aug 2014, 01:06

Net-decking will still require tweaking and testing upwards of 30 decks for each cube. As a quick example, I would love to have a world mimicking Standard (RTR-M14-THS-M15) or Block-Constructed (M14, THS block, M15 separately) since they were designed to be self-sufficient Limited/Block environments.

I think deck strength is less of an issue for Limited-based decks since the player's advantage of deck-editing and/or fantasy-mode is balanced by the AI's (potentially) better card-pool. The remaining hard/challenge decks will still require testing but it will be less than 10 decks and it should be more interesting to create actual strong decks.

I will try to put together a cheap proof-of-concept by manually generating a bunch of Sealed filler decks and just grabbing the Standard AI decks that I have been playing with since last season to fill up the rest.
excessum

Postby excessum » 17 Aug 2014, 08:49

Attached is a working example of automatically generating Sealed decks for quest opponents. For each of the sets defined for the world, two boosters will be added to the pool and the deck is built from the pool. The world definition (name, sets, ban list) still has to be manually added to "worlds.txt".
Attachments
questSealedOpp.txt
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
excessum

Return to Developer's Corner