It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:46

Text Size

Achivement discussion

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Achivement discussion

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 19:01

Maybe we could make the achievement tiers match Magic rarities. So instead of Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum we'd have Common (black), Uncommon (still silver), Rare (still gold) and Mythic (redish orange).
drdev
Programmer

Postby KrazyTheFox » 17 Sep 2014, 19:04

drdev wrote:Maybe we could make the achievement tiers match Magic rarities. So instead of Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum we'd have Common (black), Uncommon (still silver), Rare (still gold) and Mythic (redish orange).
Ooh, definitely like that idea. If someone still prefers the metals, nothing's stopping them from using other images.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 17 Sep 2014, 19:10

Hehe sounds like an interesting idea, too! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 19:10

Rooger, could you make 4 empty pedestals for the 4 rarities? I think those should replace the trophies as the dafaults so everything is the same size. Also, if it helps, you can create the interior image separate and I can just render one on top of the other, using an alpha transform as needed. That way we only need the 4 pedestal images and one additional image per achievement.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Rooger » 17 Sep 2014, 20:41

No problem, what do you think of these as the default tropies? Are you able to render them on top of each other if they are png with transparency or do you need a jpg and a alpha channel for each image? I can provide you both. Oh and by the way, what about the greyed out common's is that out of the question or are you able to do it with a little bit of coding? Nevertheless it is a good and pratical idea reducing the disk space.

What do you guys think of this alternative wins, alternative trophies for an alternative shelf :D
Marek14's post got me working on this, i think it would be nice to keep us wanting to get those wins.
The ones with 40% transparency are the ones that we had not win yet. Is it possible to have transparency in forge?
Attachments
example.jpg
mythic.png
mythic.png (57.12 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
rare.png
rare.png (62.44 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
uncommon.png
uncommon.png (58.81 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
common.png
common.png (58.31 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
Rooger

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 20:52

I can fade out the image programmatically based on the rarity, so you don't need to create 4 versions of each image. I take it the super faded out one is meant to display if you haven't earned the trophy yet? I like that idea.

As long as the images are .png with transparency, I can render them one on top of the other. So as I said we should be able to do this with just 4 images for the pedestals and 1 image per achievement beyond that.

Given that, I vote we just include them in the base release instead of requiring a separate download and having fallback trophies. I can always just render the pedestal for any achievements that haven't had an image created for them yet in terms of being a barrier for adding new achievements. Heck I can even just have it render a card image on top until a better image can be made.

For simplicity, let's create a single new .png file in skins\default to package all the achievement images, the pedestals, and the shelf. We can then make it work similarly to sprite_icons.png by parsing out the individual images using coordinates and allowing users to overwrite some or all of the images for other skins if they desire.

This way, it only adds one additional image file that shouldn't be overlay large. It simplifies things for our users too, plus I want everyone to get to enjoy the awesome trophies that Rooger has created without needing to remember to do a separate download.

EDIT: Also, I like the alt-win-cards achievements case. I'll add a separate category to the combo box just for that so we don't muddy up the main Constructed case. I think this will be cooler that doing a single collection achievement ultimately, though I suppose we could do both. Any objection to implementing them like I did for Decked Out and make the rarity/tier be based on how quickly you win?
drdev
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 17 Sep 2014, 21:11

Of course, with alt-win, not all are suitable for achievement, as some alt-losses can only befall the controller and there's no point in gaining an achievement for AI killing itself with a Pact (which it does depressingly often).

So the alt-loss cards that can be used offensively (and should probably generate achievement when you make an opponent lose with them, even if it's not the last opponent in that game), are only 4: Amulet of Quoz, Door to Nothingness, Phage the Untouchable and Vraska the Unseen.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Rooger » 17 Sep 2014, 21:16

Ok, i'm fine with that :D Keeping them in the base release is fine since we don't abuse the disk space, but since we only need 1 image per achievement that's not a problem.

I'm a regular forge user, i'll try to keep up with the new achievements and i'll be glad to help you out when you need some graphic related stuff.

Here are the achievements in png. They are separate files but if you want i'll merge them in a single file. I also upload the alternate wins achievements and the background default trophy for them in case you want to test them out or just use the pictures for achievements you are currently working on.
Attachments
achievements.rar
(714.75 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
alternate.png
alternate.png (56.2 KiB) Viewed 15241 times
alternative win.rar
(704.59 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Rooger

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 22:07

Marek14 wrote:Of course, with alt-win, not all are suitable for achievement, as some alt-losses can only befall the controller and there's no point in gaining an achievement for AI killing itself with a Pact (which it does depressingly often).

So the alt-loss cards that can be used offensively (and should probably generate achievement when you make an opponent lose with them, even if it's not the last opponent in that game), are only 4: Amulet of Quoz, Door to Nothingness, Phage the Untouchable and Vraska the Unseen.
What about forcing the opponent to cast a Pact using Hive Mind?
drdev
Programmer

Postby drdev » 17 Sep 2014, 22:08

Rooger wrote:Ok, i'm fine with that :D Keeping them in the base release is fine since we don't abuse the disk space, but since we only need 1 image per achievement that's not a problem.

I'm a regular forge user, i'll try to keep up with the new achievements and i'll be glad to help you out when you need some graphic related stuff.

Here are the achievements in png. They are separate files but if you want i'll merge them in a single file. I also upload the alternate wins achievements and the background default trophy for them in case you want to test them out or just use the pictures for achievements you are currently working on.
I'll merge them myself since I'll need to write the coordinate mapping code anyway. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Just noticed Library of Congress and Total Match Wins are identical. Is this an accident? Could I get a different image for one of them?
drdev
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 18 Sep 2014, 04:50

drdev wrote:
Marek14 wrote:Of course, with alt-win, not all are suitable for achievement, as some alt-losses can only befall the controller and there's no point in gaining an achievement for AI killing itself with a Pact (which it does depressingly often).

What about forcing the opponent to cast a Pact using Hive Mind?
Well, theoretically, you could also force opponent to lose in any of the special ways with Mindslaver and Hive Mind would work the same with Final Fortune, but I'm concerned that it would be too much :)

Here's another idea for a separate trophy case: activating the ultimate abilities of various planeswalkers :)
Marek14
Tester

Postby Agetian » 18 Sep 2014, 05:35

Marek14 wrote:Here's another idea for a separate trophy case: activating the ultimate abilities of various planeswalkers :)
Sounds like a good idea. :) These trophies can be called after the planeswalkers, too. :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby drdev » 18 Sep 2014, 05:48

So I just finished committing the major refactoring to support all of Rooger's awesome trophies using layering, storing the images in the res/ folder in a combined sprite_trophies.png file, and offering 4 tiers based on the rarities of Magic. Here's an idea of what it now looks like:

AchievementsScreen4.png

The one thing that's a little off right now is that the Magic card back is showing through for the faded out trophies, which doesn't look good. I'll try to have that fixed soon. After that, I've got a lot of new achievements to implement it appears. I like the planeswalker ultimate idea, by the way.

On that note, any objection to waiting until the game is over before showing the "Achievement Earned" dialog? I'm worried that popping up that dialog in the middle of a game right after activating the ultimate will be an annoyance, plus it will play nicer with the way achievements are updated right now.
drdev
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 18 Sep 2014, 06:07

Ideas for planeswalker ultimates (BTW, it will be probably better to gain the achievement for resolving the ultimate rather than activating it).

Ajani's Better Half - Ajani Goldmane (Serra? Is that you?)
Ajani's Forcefield - Ajani Steadfast (Shields up!)
Ajani's Tantrum - Ajani Vengeant (Look Ma! No lands!)
Ajani's Menagerie - Ajani, Caller of the Pride (You're a crazy cat lady now!)
Ajani's Vitality - Ajani, Mentor of Heroes (Do sta let!)

Ashiok's Identity Crisis - Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver (I subscribe to the theory of blank slate!)

Chandra's Flashback - Chandra Ablaze (I feel like I've seen those before...)
Chandra's Hot Spring - Chandra Nalaar (Careful! It's scalding!)
Chandra's Menial Job - Chandra, Pyromaster (Please file in triplicate!)
Chandra's Hex - Chandra, the Firebrand (When burning five is just not enough.)

Dack's Five-Finger Discount - Dack Fayden (Do you have any evidence it was me?)

Domri's Nasty Surprise - Domri Rade (That's GOTTA get me a date!)

Elspeth's Solitude - Elspeth Tirel (Tokens are my only friends...)
Elspeth's Immortality - Elspeth, Knight-Errant (Bant will prevail!)
Elspeth's Crusade - Elspeth, Sun's Champion (With Heliod on my side, I'm invincible!)

Garruk's Graveyard Romp - Garruk Relentless/Garruk, the Veil-Cursed (The dead shall help the living!)
Garruk's Overrun - Garruk Wildspeaker (I speak seven languages, including Wild!)
Garruk's Prey - Garruk, Apex Predator (Funny, it's usually a good thing to have an emblem...)
Garruk's Wild Pair - Garruk, Caller of Beasts (Can you beat two for the price of one?)
Garruk's Garden - Garruk, Primal Hunter (They came out after a rain...)

Gideon's Brawl - Gideon Jura (Are you man enough to mess with me?) [Since Gideon Jura doesn't really have an "ultimate", it would be instead activating each of its abilities at least once.]
Gideon's Aftermath - Gideon, Champion of Justice (Gideon stands alone!)

Jace's Grind - Jace Beleren (Nice memories... not!)
Jace's Incantation - Jace, Architect of Thought (I like that one. I'll steal it!)
Jace's Revelation - Jace, Memory Adept (So many things to learn!)
Jace's Timetwister - Jace, the Living Guildpact (Symmetry? What symmetry?)
Jace's Lobotomy - Jace, the Mind Sculptor (What do you mean, "overpowered"?)

Karn's Reset - Karn Liberated (Let's do this again!)

Kiora's Best Friend - Kiora, the Crashing Wave (Say hello to Cthulhu for me!)

Koth's Eruption - Koth of the Hammer (You won't like the mountains when they are angry!)

Liliana's Graveyard Shift - Liliana Vess (Stop being lazy and go to work!)
Liliana's Lake of the Dead - Liliana of the Dark Realms (What do you mean, "out of character"?)
Liliana's Choice - Liliana of the Veil (Which one of your children do you love best?)

Bolas's Cruel Ultimatum - Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (Whatever you do, don't call him "Nicol"!)

Nissa's Elf Paradise - Nissa Revane (The whole village is here!)
Nissa's Awakened World - Nissa, Worldwaker (The whole country is here!)

Ral's Long Day - Ral Zarek (So much work, so much time!)

Sarkhan's Air Force - Sarkhan Vol (Go forth, my minions!)
Sarkhan's Dragon Beatdown - Sarkhan the Mad (Tag! You're it!)
Sarkhan's Voices - Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker (Huh? What are you saying?)

Sorin's Hypnosis - Sorin Markov (You're getting sleepy... very sleepy...)
Sorin's Recruitment - Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (My favorite game is Shogi!)
Sorin's Abyss - Sorin, Solemn Visitor (Don't get so close to the edge!)

Tamiyo's Recycling Center - Tamiyo, the Moon Sage (Wash, rinse, repeat!)

Teferi's Time Slip - Teferi, Temporal Archmage (Let's speed this up a bit!)

Tezzeret's Robot Army - Tezzeret the Seeker (You can't stop the progress!)
Tezzeret's Drain - Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (Technological superiority for the win!)

Tibalt's Insurrection - Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded (My side is the winning side!)

Venser's Oblivion - Venser, the Sojourner (Let's just clean this up a bit...)

Vraska's Crew - Vraska, the Unseen (Say hello to my little friends!)

Xenagos's Great Revel - Xenagos, the Reveler (Mwahahaha! Now I'm a god!)
Last edited by Marek14 on 18 Sep 2014, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Agetian » 18 Sep 2014, 06:07

Great job thus far! :)
And yes, I agree, the earned achievements are best shown after the game is over, similar to how they show you those in Starcraft 2 e.g. after you beat the campaign map, they show you all you've earned :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner