It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:16

Text Size

Can Block As Though

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Can Block As Though

Postby friarsol » 21 Mar 2015, 02:56

So with the release of Dragon Hunter, I think we should try to consolidate this keyword in the different forms that it's popped up in. I'm not sure if we should format it as a Keyword like...

K:CanBlockAsThough:<valid blocker>:<valid attacking>:<self state change>:<attacker state change>:<desc>

or as a Static due to Masako and Street Savvy?

This consolidation could affect up to 7 cards (1 of which which doesn't appear to be scripted right now)

AEther Web
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.Self:Creature.withShadow:None:Shadow:CARDNAME can block creatures with shadow as though they didn't have shadow

AEtherflame Wall
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.Self:Creature.withShadow:None:Shadow:CARDNAME can block creatures with shadow as though they didn't have shadow

Dragon Hunter
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.Self:Creature.Dragon:Reach:None:CARDNAME can block Dragons as though it had reach.

Heartwood Dryad
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.Self:Creature.withShadow:Shadow:None:CARDNAME can block creatures with shadow as though CARDNAME had shadow.

Masako the Humorless
(Not sure if this would actually be convertible, but putting it here for completion)
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.YouCtrl:Creature:Untapped:None:Tapped creatures you control can block as though they were untapped.

Street Savvy
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.EnchantedBy:Creature:May block creatures with landwalk:None:CARDNAME can block creatures with landwalk abilities as though they didn't have those abilities.

Wall of Diffusion
K:CanBlockAsThough:Creature.Self:Creature.withShadow:Shadow:None:CARDNAME can block creatures with shadow as though CARDNAME had shadow.

I'm mostly starting this post since this will definitely affect AI Combat code, so I want to have a little discussion about what the best way to handle this is (and maybe even someone more familiar with the AI code would be willing to check out some of the changes.)
friarsol
Global Moderator

Re: Can Block As Though

Postby elcnesh » 21 Mar 2015, 19:55

Wouldn't it be more logical to remove the <valid blocker> from the keyword, and have Masako the Humorless give the keyword to each creature you control? Just my 2 cents... :)
elcnesh

Postby friarsol » 21 Mar 2015, 20:21

At first I had it without the valid blocker, but it was needed for both Masako and Street Savvy. Also, typically macro keywords like this can't really be granted to other cards.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Marek14 » 30 Mar 2015, 07:04

Wouldn't cards like Great Wall or Staff of the Ages fall into this category as well?
Marek14
Tester

Postby friarsol » 30 Mar 2015, 12:10

Marek14 wrote:Wouldn't cards like Great Wall or Staff of the Ages fall into this category as well?
They could if our landwalk abilities were changed to a "Can't be Blocked" format, but right now they kinda live on their own.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Developer's Corner