It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:23

Text Size

Forge Version 1.5.39 (And Beyond)

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge Version 1.5.39 (And Beyond)

Postby KrazyTheFox » 03 May 2015, 15:21

Hello, everyone!

The many troubles we've had in the past have finally caught up with us, as I'm sure most of you know from the lack of releases lately. I'm here to tell you that that is no more! I have purchased a VPS and did a preliminary pom update that allows us to perform releases and deploy snapshots. I've also removed the site deployment from the commands, since that took up an absurd amount of time and nobody used it. Releases are now almost as fast as snapshots.

To test this out, I've performed a release, bringing us up to 1.5.39 (and, as usual, I cannot do an OSX build): http://www.cardforge.link/releases/forge/forge-gui-desktop/1.5.39/forge-gui-desktop-1.5.39.tar.bz2

There's a couple changes that need to be made if you want to perform future releases. The first is Maven's settings.xml file. Where you previously had the login details for cardforge.org's servers, you'll now need to replace the usernames with "cardforgereleases@cardforge.link". The password remains the same. Also, delete the now-unused "cardforge-site" server entry.

The new command to run for deploying snapshots is:
Code: Select all
mvn -U -B -P windows-linux,osx clean install deploy

And the new command to run for performing releases is:
mvn -U -B -P windows-linux,osx release:clean release:prepare release:perform -Dusername=subversion_username -Dpassword=subversion_password

If you want to increment the version differently, add the following to the end of the release command above or exclude the "-B" option for interactive mode:
-DreleaseVersion=1.6.0 -DdevelopmentVersion=1.6.1-SNAPSHOT

After performing a release or deploying a snapshot, you'll be able to find them in the following places:
http://www.cardforge.link/snapshots/
http://www.cardforge.link/releases/

There is limited space available on this server (a total of 30GB including the OS), so we should either keep snapshot deployments less frequent or delete snapshots from previous versions. Snapshots and releases weigh in at around 180MB each (90MB for osx, 90MB for windows-linux). Any thoughts on which we should do? I'll still be deploying windows-linux snapshots to http://krazyweb.net/forge/.

I will be doing more pom cleanup in the near-ish future as well, but this should get us back on track.

I believe elcnesh suggested that we increase the version to 1.6.0, so perhaps Chris would like to take a shot the new release process?
Last edited by KrazyTheFox on 29 Jan 2016, 01:14, edited 3 times in total.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Re: Forge Version 1.5.39 (And Beyond)

Postby friarsol » 03 May 2015, 19:12

KrazyTheFox wrote:There is limited space available on this server (a total of 30GB including the OS), so we should either keep snapshot deployments less frequent or delete snapshots from previous versions. Snapshots and releases weigh in at around 180MB each (90MB for osx, 90MB for windows-linux). Any thoughts on which we should do? I'll still be deploying windows-linux snapshots to http://krazyweb.net/forge/.

I will be doing more pom cleanup in the near-ish future as well, but this should get us back on track.

I believe elcnesh suggested that we increase the version to 1.6.0, so perhaps Chris would like to take a shot the new release process?
Is there a need to keep snapshots past one or two latest release versions?

I'm down for upgrading to 1.6 (I may have in fact several years ago suggested that online play might be 2.0, but 1.6 is fine too).
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby KrazyTheFox » 03 May 2015, 22:09

friarsol wrote:Is there a need to keep snapshots past one or two latest release versions?
Highly unlikely. I clear out my other server frequently and nobody's seemed to care. Just wanted to make sure nobody has any objections before I do anything.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 09 May 2015, 16:56

Thank you KTK. I have been really busy recently and was not able to respond very quickly. :(

I will go ahead and post a release message for this version 1.5.39.

I will not build and deploy snapshots to this new site as there is an alternative site available.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby KrazyTheFox » 09 May 2015, 17:24

Chris H. wrote:Thank you KTK. I have been really busy recently and was not able to respond very quickly. :(
Not a problem! I know all too well how busy things can get.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby elcnesh » 12 May 2015, 09:05

I've looked a bit into using morph/manifest overlay cards for morphed/manifested creatures, and it's pretty easy, but it requires a change on the server (the token images are hosted on cardforge.org, maybe we can transfer that to the new site?), as follows:

Can someone with cardforge.org access do that? Thanks! :wink:
elcnesh

Postby KrazyTheFox » 12 May 2015, 14:55

elcnesh wrote:I've looked a bit into using morph/manifest overlay cards for morphed/manifested creatures, and it's pretty easy, but it requires a change on the server (the token images are hosted on cardforge.org, maybe we can transfer that to the new site?), as follows:

Can someone with cardforge.org access do that? Thanks! :wink:
Done! It's at http://www.cardforge.link/data/images/effects/manifest.jpg and http://www.cardforge.link/data/images/effects/morph.jpg. I'll work on transferring over the rest of the downloadable content soon. Also, now would be the time to change urls if we want them to be changed. I mirrored the existing cardforge directory structure somewhat for now.

Edit: Instead of the data directory, I've added a subdomain. Those links will be http://downloads.cardforge.link/images/effects/manifest.jpg and http://downloads.cardforge.link/images/effects/morph.jpg once the changes take effect and dns records propagate.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby drdev » 13 May 2015, 01:45

Can we make a permanent home for the net decks and achievement trophies while we're at it?
drdev
Programmer

Postby KrazyTheFox » 13 May 2015, 02:40

drdev wrote:Can we make a permanent home for the net decks and achievement trophies while we're at it?
That's a great idea. I'll add that to my to-do list.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 19 May 2015, 05:50

What do you think - should we make "Display tokens on the same row as other cards" the default behavior for the upcoming version of Forge or should we default to the classic behavior for now? I've been playing games with the new behavior now and didn't run into any issues, has anyone else tested it?

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby Bog Wraith » 19 May 2015, 09:49

Agetian wrote:What do you think - should we make "Display tokens on the same row as other cards" the default behavior for the upcoming version of Forge or should we default to the classic behavior for now? I've been playing games with the new behavior now and didn't run into any issues, has anyone else tested it?

- Agetian
I've been playing with the tokens on the same row with other cards & I have to say that I really like it. It's much more in keeping with the way I would play with printed cards.
I found that I had more than enough room and that the display did not seemed to be crammed with too many cards in one area. Now I do have a 24" monitor so that might be why it looks so good, but I think it would work well with smaller ones as well.

As for the default settings, I will leave that up to you guys to determine, but I will be playing with this new feature from now on as my go to setting.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby drdev » 19 May 2015, 13:09

I think it's been requested enough to make it be the default behavior to display tokens in the same row as other creatures. For I'm guessing the minority of people that preferred the old way, they can easily toggle the setting. It also makes it consistent with the mobile app this way.
drdev
Programmer

Postby KrazyTheFox » 19 May 2015, 13:17

I'm in agreement. I tried my hand at making tokens work on the same row a while back and failed at it and think it'd fit in well as the default.

Also, could we either get this topic stickied or a new one created for 1.5.40?
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Bog Wraith » 19 May 2015, 16:25

KrazyTheFox wrote:Also, could we get this topic stickied?
Done! :)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby KrazyTheFox » 19 May 2015, 17:07

Bog Wraith wrote:Done! :)
Awesome, thanks!

--

This Friday will be around the two week mark since the last release (it'd be 2 weeks on Sunday). Do we want to target a release for Friday, bumping the version to 1.6.0?
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Next

Return to Developer's Corner