It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 20:55

Text Size

Manalink 3.0 Installation

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink 3.0 Installation

Postby gmzombie » 19 Aug 2015, 19:33

Right now if you want to play against someone else other than an ai I suggest xmage. It is really good though I'm a sucker for this great game and believe one day we could get online working again.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby CirothUngol » 20 Aug 2015, 01:38

IoriYagami wrote:I tried that manalink 1.3.2_20010711.7z from Cyroth's (sic, but acceptable) archive...
Incidently, that archive is about as clean and old-school as it gets. It was taken from an original Microprose DotP install (on a *real* Win98SE machine) with Mok's Manalink 1.3.2 update, which unlocked all of the original cards and play-modes, corrected some card functionality, made Shandalar more compatible with newer-for-then computers, and allowed using TCP/IP to connect directly to other players without using TEN.

I recall playing it quite often in 2000/2001 with a few friends, a Pentium PC, a laptop, and a bucket of brews. Always local connection, never online. I haven't ever attempted to use network-play on any of the newer versions (or even this one) since then, but it should work as I don't remember it even having any problems. *hrm*

Perhaps it's a speed issue, as in either the software or the network runs too fast for the routine to handle (after all, it is expecting 9600 baud)? Perhaps I connected them together with a serial cable (as only expensive laptops had a network card back then)?
If I could only remember. Damn my failing memory. It's hell getting old. Where are my teeth?

Anyhow, v1.3.2 may be the version to inspect if someone wanted to look at the executable with an eye towards finding, replacing, or modifying the network capabilities... or perhaps the one from BogWraith's original v2.0 download. Also, you could try using a null-modem cable, if you have hardware with serial connections.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby gmzombie » 20 Aug 2015, 02:56

Ok so he did put in the tcpip update. I couldn't remember as I am to getting old. He'll I can't believe I stayed with the program this long but I have tried to help as much as I could. I guess it's nostalgia but I would love to see at the very least the better graveyard enhancements and a sideboard. My thoughts on a sideboard are simple. Somehow have the game jump into the deckbuilder at the end of first and second round

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby luckylavs » 17 Oct 2015, 03:34

Just have two quick questions about installing the latest version of Manalink... I apologize if this has been asked before...if it was, I didn't see it.

A.) After I download and install the base game, I just need to install the latest patch, correct (As of today, that's March 25-Fate Reforged)?

The reason I ask is because there are several other patches that occurred after the date of the base game, but prior to the latest patch. Just want to confirm that I can install base game...and then the only patch I need to put in is the latest one, in other words, I can skip over all patches that were released prior to that....

B.) All I have done to "install" the latest patch is to copy the files over to the directory where I installed the game, overwriting files when asked.

However, I noticed that there is also a "Patch.exe" file. Do I need to run that executable at any point?

If so, do I run that before I update the card art folder, or after? (Or does it even matter?)

Thanks,

LuckyLavs
luckylavs

Postby Aswan jaguar » 17 Oct 2015, 04:41

luckylavs wrote:A.) After I download and install the base game, I just need to install the latest patch, correct (As of today, that's March 25-Fate Reforged)?
B.) All I have done to "install" the latest patch is to copy the files over to the directory where I installed the game, overwriting files when asked.
However, I noticed that there is also a "Patch.exe" file. Do I need to run that executable at any point?
If your previous update was january 2014 patch and later you shouldn't have any problem installing only the latest one,no patch.exe needed it must be a relic from old times.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Scottpilgrim » 25 Oct 2015, 23:48

So I downloaded and installed everything and Shandalar works great. But I can't get the magic.exe to launch. I would very much like to do some drafting. I Try to open it and the wheel spins for a second and then nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated.
Scottpilgrim

Postby BAgate » 26 Oct 2015, 00:23

If you are running Windows 10 that is a known issue. Just keep trying and it will eventually work.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Arclight » 11 Feb 2016, 01:16

Hi,

I've been using forge for awhile but I remember this game from back in the day. It's awesome to see its still alive.

So does the new download or any of the patches released afterwards contain new cards from the original game? Any special instructions to install card art or anything?

I have Windows 10, what might be the best and easiest way to install the game with the latest patch?

EDIT* So apparently Manalink is a separate download to Shandalar. I installed the Shandalar.Iso and patched it, all works great but am confused on how to get the all the cool new cards. :x :) In the meantime I'll be reading the previous posts. Sorry if I burdened.
Arclight

Postby gmzombie » 12 Feb 2016, 16:17

The current shandalar isn't compatible with the current bfz patch. Not every card that is in manalink is in shandalar. Since it is coded from a separate exe.

gmzombie

Postby Vernon » 12 Feb 2016, 18:03

To further clarify: Shandalar is compatible up to NB1. BFZ, as stated above, is a Manalink only set. There will be an update to Shandalar soon, though...
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Postby KingTuggins » 15 Apr 2016, 06:39

After following all of the instructions here I am getting an error message I can't seem to find a solution to. Could anyone help me out?

Name of error is:
drawcardlib.dll

The error says the following:
Could not load (Vanguard)
F:\Downloads\Shandalar\Install\DualArt\Token.dat:
[Frames]CardOV_ColorlessNyx=
"F:\Downloads\Shandalar\Install\CARDART\Modern\CardOv_Nyx.png"

It does this for a lot of different folders and card names then I finally get:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to
close the application.

Anybody know what's going on? This was after following directions on how to install, having to move the CDtools.dll, image.dll, and Zlib.dll files since those alerts come up first.

Thanks!
KingTuggins

Postby stassy » 15 Apr 2016, 13:50

That mean those files are missing or not in the right directory.

Or you can directly download and install this version which is supposed to be the latest and ready to use for Manalink and Shandalar:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18510
stassy

Postby andyplayer » 27 Apr 2017, 02:12

The portals link doesn't work anymore. Missing file or deleted :((
andyplayer

Postby Aswan jaguar » 27 Apr 2017, 16:09

There is a problem and you can't download latest patch until a new one is out hopefully soon...... in the meantime check for older full installation packs if you are first time user they can provide pleasant moments,too.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Flexy » 27 Mar 2022, 13:40

trying to install my first time, and Mcafee has flagged DeckEditorWrapper.exe as a virus. Does anybody know why?
Flexy

PreviousNext

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting