It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:39

Text Size

Autotargetting - Volunteer Needed

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Autotargetting - Volunteer Needed

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 15:46

I have an idea for a really great feature, but again, I need a volunteer's help to do some of the data entry.

Here's the concept:
(1)
If cast a Swords to Plowshares when there is only 1 creature in play. Why should you bother having to pick the target, it should auto-target, right?

(2)
When I cast Ancestral Recall, chances are I want to always target myself. Why should I have to pick me every time? (this should be configurable, of course, for people that want to sometimes target their opponent with Ancestral Recall)

So here's what I need to make that happen.
(1) Go through the deck editor and identify every card that you normally want to target your opponent or opponent's permanent. (ex: Mind Rot, Swords to Plowshares, Prodigal Sorcerer). Save those cards to a deck file (TargetsAI.dck). Repeat for cards you aim at yourself (ex: Holy Strength, Ancestral Recall). Call that file TargetsHuman.dck.

(2) More to come, but step 1 needs to be done first.

Any volunteers?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Autotargetting - Volunteer Needed

Postby Salbei » 21 Aug 2009, 15:55

the idea sounds good , but there are situations that you misclick or have to target "unusual" targets.

Black Vise/Underworld Dreams - ancestral on opponent for the last point of damage.Also for milling purposes to win the game a few turns earlier.

berserk and the like could be used as spot removal.hell, i´ve even casted unholy strenght on an opponent creature just so it doesn´t untap under meekstone.
Path to Exile one of your own creatures if you need more mana for the win next turn and so on.

its not that easy.
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 16:03

Salbei wrote:the idea sounds good , but there are situations that you misclick or have to target "unusual" targets.

Black Vise/Underworld Dreams - ancestral on opponent for the last point of damage.Also for milling purposes to win the game a few turns earlier.

berserk and the like could be used as spot removal.hell, i´ve even casted unholy strenght on an opponent creature just so it doesn´t untap under meekstone.
Path to Exile one of your own creatures if you need more mana for the win next turn and so on.

its not that easy.
That's why I'm going to leave it configurable, so you can turn cards (or the entire feature) off as you please.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 21 Aug 2009, 16:11

good.k i´ve started adding everything that should target the AI to a deck. gonna take a while.gonna ignore cards without a target option(mass removal) just stuff with the option to target either me or the AI if i got you right.

what about counterspells etc? should i add em? you said opponent or permanent ^^
echoing truth/boomerang and the like are likely to be used on your own stuff aswell.
hurkylls recall is more likely to target yourself if you include it to your deck (tps or whatever).just in rare cases you´ll want to cast it on the ai.
shall i skip bounce ?

opposition / mind over matter are things i´d rather do myself. skip?
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 16:25

Salbei wrote:good.k i´ve started adding everything that should target the AI to a deck. gonna take a while.gonna ignore cards without a target option(mass removal) just stuff with the option to target either me or the AI if i got you right.
I tried to give some examples in the first post of what to include, which does count things like Swords, which targets a permanent.

Salbei wrote:what about counterspells etc? should i add em? you said opponent or permanent ^^
Go ahead and add them. Not sure if I can actually implement that, though :)

Salbei wrote:echoing truth/boomerang and the like are likely to be used on your own stuff aswell.
hurkylls recall is more likely to target yourself if you include it to your deck (tps or whatever).just in rare cases you´ll want to cast it on the ai.
shall i skip bounce ?
Yeah, anything that's less that 80% the same target, skip. I just want to use this as the default list. It can be updated later easily.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 21 Aug 2009, 16:41

gotcha.you could still remove them manually if needed.

bogerdan hellkite / arc lightning fire and ice should prolly stay out there too^^ gonna add em anyway.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 16:46

Salbei wrote:gotcha.you could still remove them manually if needed.

bogerdan hellkite / arc lightning fire and ice should prolly stay out there too^^ gonna add em anyway.
You've aimed a Hellkite at yourself???
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 21 Aug 2009, 16:57

i´ve played a deck with 4 hellkites+kukoshus along with living dead and some single re-animation.sometimes i had to kill a platinum angel with it - or hordes of elves.

some of the cards are troublesome.you prolly have to sort out the ones with multiple targets (arc lighning and the like).Thunderscape Apprentice is also a candidate for a skip :P

-edit: jesus christ! i just finished the lands and just had to do the artifacts now. was at like 290 cards. then my 3rd hard disk made "clickclick" and the pc turned off :/
i have to start all over again now grrrr
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 17:38

Salbei wrote:i´ve played a deck with 4 hellkites+kukoshus along with living dead and some single re-animation.sometimes i had to kill a platinum angel with it - or hordes of elves.

some of the cards are troublesome.you prolly have to sort out the ones with multiple targets (arc lighning and the like).Thunderscape Apprentice is also a candidate for a skip :P

-edit: jesus christ! i just finished the lands and just had to do the artifacts now. was at like 290 cards. then my 3rd hard disk made "clickclick" and the pc turned off :/
i have to start all over again now grrrr
Ok, so to be clear, cards like Lightning Bolt (and Hellkite) should be in the list, since you always targets your opponent or their stuff, and never you or your stuff.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby MalkolmX » 21 Aug 2009, 17:59

Altough it sound promissing in theory, on practice it could be annoying, just remember the Auto Win system that game had for a while and how many bugs it had. Remember, if it ain't broken don't fix it.
MalkolmX

Postby Reid » 21 Aug 2009, 18:04

jatill wrote:Ok, so to be clear, cards like Lightning Bolt (and Hellkite) should be in the list, since you always targets your opponent or their stuff, and never you or your stuff.
I can cast it on my Fungusaur though.
Reid

Postby jatill » 21 Aug 2009, 18:12

MalkolmX wrote:Altough it sound promissing in theory, on practice it could be annoying, just remember the Auto Win system that game had for a while and how many bugs it had. Remember, if it ain't broken don't fix it.
But it is broken. It makes me click when I shouldn't have too.

Again, regarding rare exceptions like Fungusaur, if that's your intention, then turn auto-targeting off.

Trust me, if I can pull this off, 2 years from now you'll be thanking me for saving you from Carpal Tunnel, since you clicked 10,000 fewer times :)
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 21 Aug 2009, 18:14

hmm there is a bug within the deckbuilder. i´ve just finished this and it says its over 1071 cards. the number suddenly jumped from 3xx to 10xx.saved the deck but the file only contains 13 cards Oo

too many single cards i guess
jesus christ this is getting me angry.

don´t tell me i have to do it again :twisted:
oh great and the cards aren´t in the deckbuilder anymore.yay

gonna take a break now ...

-edit i´ll finish it tomorrow unless somebody else can do it faster. it´s late now and i need some sleep.
Last edited by Salbei on 21 Aug 2009, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Signatus » 21 Aug 2009, 18:47

I agree with auto-targetting when there's only ONE target at all. so if there's only one creature in play and you play Swords to Plowshares, it should target that creature, if possible. HOWEVER, if you also have a creature, it shouldn't target automatically because you might want to exile your own dude for some reason.

so I only agree with single option stuff being automatic. Like strip mine on turn 1 and ancestral recall when your opponent has ivory mask, for example.
Signatus

Postby Reid » 21 Aug 2009, 20:04

jatill wrote:
MalkolmX wrote:Altough it sound promissing in theory, on practice it could be annoying, just remember the Auto Win system that game had for a while and how many bugs it had. Remember, if it ain't broken don't fix it.
But it is broken. It makes me click when I shouldn't have too.

Again, regarding rare exceptions like Fungusaur, if that's your intention, then turn auto-targeting off.

Trust me, if I can pull this off, 2 years from now you'll be thanking me for saving you from Carpal Tunnel, since you clicked 10,000 fewer times :)
I mean, more than that, I hope it'll be done for cards such as Millstone. A lighting bolt is played just a couple of times in a match, while Millstone...
Reid

Next

Return to Development