It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:12

Text Size

the benefit of 2K cards limit and some practical solution

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

the benefit of 2K cards limit and some practical solution

Postby 0rion79 » 02 Oct 2009, 13:25

Hello, I know that some of you would like to kill me for this :mrgreen: but I was thinking that the 2.000 cards limit brings some bonus, too, and it is not only a limit.
Yes, I was talking about that with Mathusalem a couple of days ago, and we both agree about the fact that those constant updates - even if they are a GREAT thing, no doubt! - force us players to constantly revise decks and to pay an extra attention to the forum to get the new cards and arts. Maybe the youngers among us will have little troubles from that, but the oldies, that are in short of time due to work and other needs, have more difficulties in enjoying the new releases: too many cards unused, possibilities unexplored, nice decks that are just ideas in our minds and are never created.

So, I'm personally waiting for Jatill to fill the whole cards database, so that I will enjoy all of them all together, in the hope that some genius will improve the interface in the deck builder, increasing the sets and granting some order to the cards.

Also, I was thinking this as temporary solution: what about merging together the cards from "the Dark" and the few "Fallen Empires" into the Legends expansion set? After all, they were ment to be part of the same block, as Ice Age included Homelands and Alliances. This would free a slot that Jatill can use to separately code the new expansion set, without messing up the new cards with the already over-used Astrall set.

What do you think? Imho, it is a good idea, since Dark, Legends and Fallen Empires already represent uncompleted sets but with a common root.
0rion79

Re: the benefit of 2K cards limit and some practical solution

Postby Salbei » 02 Oct 2009, 16:06

hmm the problem with the 2k card limit and existing decks is that if you change a single card all decks that used the old card will now use the new version.
that wouldn´t be a problem when you could just add the additional card since it would be a unique ID.

i know you can assign cards to multiple expansions (that was made for reprints).
you can already play sealed deck with the sets named above , so if you would merge the dark + legends there would be a slot free (for zendikar for example).

I also see no point in having 4th/5th/8th edition. one should be enough and the other 2 could be used with something usefull.

Revised is another thing ... either you want Unlimited with power or T2 stuff.i´ve never ever used this for sealed and i doubt that anyone else did.this could be used for project zendikar again.
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby 0rion79 » 02 Oct 2009, 17:22

Well, Sabei, it was me who cleared out how those things work, so I know quite well how they do work! :lol:
Anyway, if you merge Dark & Fallen Empires with Legends, you just have to change the expansion code in the CSV so that they will show up in the same set! Actually there is no need to change any card ID.
A little bit different is for Fallen Empires, since they are part of the Astral Set and they use the 5th edition re-printing code for Sealed Deck, so *IF* they are merged with Legends, the modder has to clean the reprinting & rarity column first, just to avoid double printing and consequential mess when playing a sealed game.
Of course, when you talk about you zendikar, I agree with you: that's why I made my suggestion! :D

About Revised, 4th and 5th edition, talking about them is just not worthy of. It is because they do not represent stand-alone expansions in the deck builder and so they cannot be recycled to create new "slots" to separate new cards. Yes, they can be useful in sealed deck and, in fact, I already did update the CSV a lot of time ago to move all "our" cards into the 5th edition for sealed deck purposes.

8th edition instead holds unique cards that represent a great stand-alone set, valid for sealed games too, so I think that it fits well where it is now. Instead, I really hope that somebody will be able to create a new set, as Mok did with 8th edition, so that we will be able to divide all new cards by concept, increasing order in the deck builder and making deck-building an easier and faster process.
0rion79

Postby gmzombie » 03 Oct 2009, 21:41

well here is what i found as i was looking to update the deck builder..actually to help the peeps that have knowledge to update the builder cause i dont know that well how to do this stuff. anyways im pretty sure it was the deckdll.dll file that contained all the info about the pics...as i wanted to change the deck builder to go with the updated look of manalink. but nobody has taken this daunting task. its the same concept as what we did with the magic.exe so we could load the new pics...anyways i think that is where we should start as im sure we could add new buttons to go for the new structure. i mean i had an idea to make the blocks buttons instead of just sets...it wold give us so much more room in the deck builder.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Marek14 » 04 Oct 2009, 05:30

gmzombie wrote:well here is what i found as i was looking to update the deck builder..actually to help the peeps that have knowledge to update the builder cause i dont know that well how to do this stuff. anyways im pretty sure it was the deckdll.dll file that contained all the info about the pics...as i wanted to change the deck builder to go with the updated look of manalink. but nobody has taken this daunting task. its the same concept as what we did with the magic.exe so we could load the new pics...anyways i think that is where we should start as im sure we could add new buttons to go for the new structure. i mean i had an idea to make the blocks buttons instead of just sets...it wold give us so much more room in the deck builder.
Frankly, I think that the best thing to do with the deckbuilder is to write a new one from scratch - or to adapt one from one of the other programs. The small number of cards you can have visible at any one time is simply a pain. Even a text-only deckbuilder would be preferable.
Marek14
Tester

Postby 0rion79 » 04 Oct 2009, 06:35

Marek14 wrote:Frankly, I think that the best thing to do with the deckbuilder is to write a new one from scratch - or to adapt one from one of the other programs. The small number of cards you can have visible at any one time is simply a pain. Even a text-only deckbuilder would be preferable.
Imho, it is not a matter of how many cards at once, but how fast you may browse among them. Since it is not possible to remember all cards names, splitting them into sets would made the search faster and more comfortable, not to talk about the benefits for sealed decks.
0rion79

Postby Salbei » 05 Oct 2009, 07:33

NaTeDoGG´s arcane might be a temporal solution. would be a lot easier to mod this to our demands than to write something from scratch.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=464&start=0

just have to change the basic database and the outputfile.

just an idea.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 05 Oct 2009, 12:04

Salbei wrote:NaTeDoGG´s arcane might be a temporal solution. would be a lot easier to mod this to our demands than to write something from scratch.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=464&start=0

just have to change the basic database and the outputfile.

just an idea.
Have you used this much? Do you any idea what it would take to change the database and output file?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 05 Oct 2009, 14:19

Snacko wrote:That wouldn't be a problem just need a file with names to card IDs.
gave him some instructions in the thread. hopefully he can do it.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=464&start=150

i didn´t use the deckbuilder much , just checked it out today and it looked promising ... after i horribly failed to create my own :mrgreen:

wouldn´t work with sealed i guess , but it doesn´t matter there anyway since the original deckbuilder is good enough for that.

this optional deckbuilder would be a good alternative to the original one in my oppinion.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby 0rion79 » 05 Oct 2009, 14:28

I don't care too much: I love the old one but the new one looks good enough to be more practical than the current one. If it can be done, then I would also like to see the filters by ability enhanced, including new values for "shroud", "exalted", "cycling" and all the new abilities that Jatill has developed for us.
0rion79

Postby Salbei » 05 Oct 2009, 14:49

we can´t replace the old one with it. when you play sealed deck you need the old one , unless somebody knows a way around it.

i would prefer modding/updating the original one too , but this seems to be very complex.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 05 Oct 2009, 22:55

isnt the buttons simply an on off switch designed around what id it is looking for for example the dark set couldnt u just add to the existing deckbuilder by copying an existing code for one and change it to look for that code...im just throwing this out as i dont have any coding experience since the deckdll.dll runs most of the deck.exe i would have to believe you would only really need those to files to edit to make it work right...unless magic.exe looks for a specific size from deck.exe. I mean Mok added the original 8th edition button into the deckbuilder i believe there is no reason you coders couldnt do that...i mean look at what has been done already. =D> anyways dont want to ruffle feathers im just thinking out loud lol.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Return to Development