It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:35

Text Size

Is there anything I can do to help?

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Is there anything I can do to help?

Postby Decay57 » 12 Dec 2009, 05:08

Started playing Shandalar 10+ years ago only to stop due to lack of new cards, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that people have been updating the game and adding new cards. So I've been playing this new version for the last month now and was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with the implementation of cards?

I only minored in computer science back in college and havent really done much of any programming in the last 6 years so I dont think I'd be up to the challenge of writing new code for cards such as jatill has been doing (much thanks btw). I have, however, tried the 'add new cards' tutorial on the wiki and the lvl 0 and lvl 1 stuff seems pretty straight forward.

I read in one of the other threads in this forum that some others were adding standard cards and I think it'd be awesome if we could actually get as many of the current standard cards in as possible. Is that something that could be doable? (Then choosing 'T2' in switcher might actually mean something, lol.) Right now some of the T2 cards are under the zendikar switcher version while a number of the other T2 cards are in the other version which makes some of the standard decks difficult to make.

I know zendikar is complete and there are already a number of (ala/cfx/arb/m10) cards already but there were also a number of cards in those sets which were missing.

So I'm wondering who else out there is working on standard cards from those 4 sets (ala/cfx/arb/m10) and how we could go about working together? I also think itd be nice if the switcher loaded up the ~900+ current standard cards (minus the unprogrammable ones of course) when 'T2' was chosen which would mean if 2 or more people were adding cards, we'd need to make sure we didnt overlap card ID's.
Decay57

Re: Is there anything I can do to help?

Postby aww1979 » 12 Dec 2009, 05:35

The biggest issue right now is that there is a hardcoded 2000 card limit in some array that limits development, and we are at 1900-some cards now, so there isn't a lot of room to add more cards. If you know a way around that, everyone on this forum will love you forever!
aww1979
Tester

Postby jatill » 12 Dec 2009, 15:54

Decay57 wrote:I read in one of the other threads in this forum that some others were adding standard cards and I think it'd be awesome if we could actually get as many of the current standard cards in as possible. Is that something that could be doable? (Then choosing 'T2' in switcher might actually mean something, lol.) Right now some of the T2 cards are under the zendikar switcher version while a number of the other T2 cards are in the other version which makes some of the standard decks difficult to make.
It is my goal to get enough cards into the game to make a lot of standard decks. Nobody will be coding ALL the available cards, though, since coding cards is usually not trivial, and 80% of cards never see play.

As for helping, there is always a lot a person can do.
1) Code new cards. People with no coding experience have been able to add new cards using C, so I'd expect that you could learn too. Fixing bugs would be helpful.
2) If you are good at limited, you could update the limited rankings for cards. The values for a lot of Zendikar cards are not very good, now that the set is understood.
3) Come up with a list of all cards in standard decks that are not coded yet (with links to decks). This would give the coders something useful to work from.

So if you're interested in any of these, PM me and I can give you some more details.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby DrJones » 01 Jan 2010, 16:14

aww1979 wrote:The biggest issue right now is that there is a hardcoded 2000 card limit in some array that limits development, and we are at 1900-some cards now, so there isn't a lot of room to add more cards. If you know a way around that, everyone on this forum will love you forever!
Hi! I just read about this problem and wonder if you couldn't skip this limit by replacing all references to that array by a call to an extern function that just returned the same info. Something like replacing:

card = hardcodedarray[1010];

by

card = getcardfunction(1010);
DrJones

Postby gmzombie » 01 Jan 2010, 21:43

dr jones do you have any experience in coding...i dont but if you see the thread in the main page the next version of manalink there is a good explanation from snacko on page 2.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Return to Development