It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:31

Text Size

Multikicker bug.

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Multikicker bug.

Postby taron » 10 May 2010, 22:44

Probably not high on the list of priorities, however I randomly noticed this during the night and thought I would make mention of it, and my suspicions as to why it's happening.

If you have the mana to pay for multikicker, on something that will not automatically tap, and you tell it to kick it again, then cancel it out, it will fully refund all your mana, then if you cast it again and kick to the same stage but don't kick it, then it comes into play with 2x the charge counters (this is the extreme short of it, I did test it to the longer extremes, and I had an everflowing chalice tapping for 326 mana).

As to my theory on why this happens:
Multikicker is designed to flag the card in the games memory, and adds +1 to the flag. Problem is, when you cancel the spell cast for example, it doesn't wipe out the flags, hence full mana refund on the cancel and the ability to continuously add to the flags.

Tested on both Everflowing Chalice and Joraga warcaller.

Additional note: Flags do not clear between phases. Tried it with a warcaller, hit it up massively Main phase 1. Main phase 2 summoned it with 68 counters.
taron

Re: Multikicker bug.

Postby purplepixie » 11 May 2010, 16:57

The Cancel option is, quite simply, broken. (Bet I'm the first guy to ever say that about Cancel :-D)
Don't use it if you possibly can, I can give you any number of bugs with it ....

Cancelling a buyback spell after opting to pay buyback can increase the cost of all spells you play by the buyback cost.
Cancelling almost *any* activated ability will still tap the permanent and pay any costs you paid so far.
Cancelling a copied spell off of Isochron Scepter will put the copy into your hand.

Simply - don't use cancel, the cards usually aren't coded to handle it :-)
Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Dark Confidant: "Life is more important than cards."
This is, of course, evidenced by your average Magic player: lots of cards and no life ;-)
purplepixie

Postby taron » 12 May 2010, 11:24

Fair enough, thought I'd bring it up, I hadn't been intending to use it, but was watching a TV show and hit enter one too many times on multikicker :P
taron

Postby jatill » 12 May 2010, 14:14

I have the multikicker bug fixed for the next release. There's no reason we can't fix most or all of the cancel issues.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby taron » 12 May 2010, 19:16

Cool.

Was it as simple as I guessed? That it just didn't clear the history of the kickers if you cancelled it?
taron

Postby jatill » 12 May 2010, 20:00

taron wrote:Cool.

Was it as simple as I guessed? That it just didn't clear the history of the kickers if you cancelled it?
Yup
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby purplepixie » 13 May 2010, 18:47

Sorry Jatill - hope my comments didn't sound like "They're badly written, it's a lost cause" :-D
You know this is some awesome work and everyone has the utmost respect for what's been done.

Right, back to Rise ...
Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Dark Confidant: "Life is more important than cards."
This is, of course, evidenced by your average Magic player: lots of cards and no life ;-)
purplepixie

Return to Development