No votes
To play against other people AND the AI
10%
I don't play much, I mostly enjoy the challenge of coding new cards
13%

Total votes : 39

How do you use DOTP mods?

Postby Huggybaby » 09 Sep 2010, 01:38

I'm curious how these mods are used by the people here at CCGHQ.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Re: How do you use DOTP mods?

Postby kevlahnota » 09 Sep 2010, 02:17

I enjoy coding new cards :D, I also play but the AI needs more improvement :lol: .
Huggybaby wrote:I'm curious how these mods are used by the people here at CCGHQ.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Uresti » 09 Sep 2010, 03:02

im on the same boat, i like to code cards, for playing i enjoy others work in Manalink, sadly no one is working on the shandalar part :(
Uresti

Postby Bog Wraith » 09 Sep 2010, 13:55

Same here Hugg! I bought the Xbox version of the game when it first came out and was very disappointed in how it was set up with the small amount of cards and not being able to customize the decks in which way we wanted. Even though it was billed, (later on, of course!), as an entry level product for new users, the fact that they took deck building out of the game was doing those said new users a disservice.

Now, I could understand if they wanted to keep the decks when in the online portion of the game the same for everyone to keep things equal amongst players of different skill levels, but to do that when playing vs the AI was absolutely ridiculous!

My wife & I still play the co-op portion of the game and we bought all the expansions for it, but we don't play it nearly as much as we used to. We always play against the AI as frankly, we have no desire to play other people online. I played different forms of MTG & other games online a number of years ago and for the most part, didn't like the interaction with a lot of those people. No, I play only vs. AI opponents when playing computer games!

The mods that are being done here for the PC version is more to my liking. Yes, the AI still doesn't play at the calibre of most real players, but like it is with ManaLink, you accept it and work with it.

Oh, BTW, who gives a rats ass that the mods don't work well with the default AI decks that came with the game. Yes I posted something about it purely as a bug report. Frankly, I'm bored stiff at playing against those decks and is a good reason why I don't play the Xbox version very much anymore. I also got bored with playing the same decks with only the ability to put in cards & not take any out so you would end up with a deck of 75 cards. Again, no customization, which is a HUGE part of real MTG!

No, I bought the Steam PC version only because I found out about the mods being done here and I play the mod decks vs the AI playing with those decks as well. That's the kind of game that I wanted and that I thought I was paying for when the Xbox version came out!

The Hasbro people should understand that if given the ability to acquire more cards & allow for customization of our decks, there would be a lot more $ & satisfied owners of the game. The Xbox forums are full of customers who were really pissed off at the way the game was handcuffed by the suits at Hasbro.

I can only speak for myself when I say that if they give us more what we want in cards & customization, they will have my $. I own a ton of MTG products, it's my favourite game of all time.

I'd like to tell the Hasbro people to look at Apple's iTunes store as a perfect example of how people, given good products at a fair price, will pay for that service.

One only needs to look at what iTunes did for the music business to see that this is true!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby buasudah » 10 Sep 2010, 16:34

Mostly co-op against AI when not messing with cards
buasudah

Postby Yanna » 22 Sep 2010, 17:08

Hum this is a mixed reply ^^

Dotp offers much interest in both coding/playing the decks.

I play the decks vs AI, either alone or with friends in a 2HG match-up.

But the thing about Dotp is its 'coding engine', it's very good indeed !
I really enjoy to find ways to code complex cards/features, probably much more than playing the decks ;)
Yanna

Postby telengard » 10 Oct 2010, 15:59

Hmm, I might have to pick this up. I had tried the xbox version and it was a little too limited for my tastes. Not having tried the PC version, could it be driven by a gamepad ala the xbox version? I sit in front of a computer 10+ hrs a day and I like to play games on the couch. :)

Also, just how "hackable" is this game? I need another coding distraction. :)

~telengard
Author of Dreamblade:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1215
telengard
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 10 Oct 2010, 18:16

It does use a gamepad and it's extremely hackable, at least for adding new cards. I don't know how much the rest of the program is exposed. Jump on in, the water's fine!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Bog Wraith » 10 Nov 2010, 02:34

Like you telengard, I bought the xbox version when it first came out. I too found it handcuffed and not what I was hoping for when I first saw a demo of it. I since bought the PC version only because of the mods that have been done by our awesome devs here. It's well worth it. Now I can play games against the AI with all kinds of cool cards & deck types.

So as Huggy said, get your swimn' trunks on and dive right in, it's worth it! 8)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Dec 2010, 18:07

Unstickied. The poll results are pretty clear. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers