It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 23:56

Text Size

A Peculiar Problem with Extracting DLCs .WADs & Save Games

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

A Peculiar Problem with Extracting DLCs .WADs & Save Games

Postby araiwah » 01 Apr 2011, 22:05

Dear fellow forumers and modders,

First off, I just want to say that it's amazing that this game is still being supported by excellent modders like kevlahnota. I think he has single-handedly put in more work into this game than the 3 DLC packs combined. Bravo. It is because of your efforts that keeps renewing my interest in this game that is otherwise neglected by its own developers.

Anyways, I've encountered a most peculiar problem with saving the game that I would like to see whether anyone else has encountered and whether a solution exists. To first give a background, I took a break from this game many months ago, but have now re-installed the game on a completely new computer - so everything is a fresh start.

After installing the game and all 3 DLCs & all of the DOTP Custom DLC MODs & Patches, everything seems to work fine. Howevever, I wanted to extract the four .WAD files (CORE, DLCs 4, 5, & 6) to do 3 things:

1. make new decks & edit some of the game's default ones (like changing the number of cards, etc)
2. add the secret button back on the menu - so that I can unlock all the default decks without having the beat the campaign
3. To fix the AI problem by editing all the AI and player deck Datasets to "Community" as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=4153#p56127

So after doing all these things, the game still runs fine. The secret button works and I can unlock the decks and the AI seems to play smarter when I use custom decks.

The Problem
HOWEVER - I then found out after doing the above 3 things that I can NO LONGER SAVE. The game no longer saves my progress every time I exit out of the game. I know this because the save file _ProfileGameSave.XYL is NOT being modified at all. However, any changes I make to the Customization tab (like changing background or avatar pictures) STILL SAVES! It is only 1. Deck unlocks 2. campaign progress that completely resets every time.

I have tried deleting my save game and clearing all my progress under the Steam settings in the secret menu. These have had no effect and I still cannot save my progress even with a brand new save.

I found that by removing the extracted .WAD folders and restoring the original .WAD files back into the game directory (and thus, undoing all the above tweaks), the game will save my progress again. I've been trying to tinker around to fix this problem, but with my limited computer skills, it's not been successful.

If anyone has any ideas , I would greatly appreciate any help. I really want to make my custom decks and do that A.I. improvement so that I can actually get a decent game with the A.I., so I would love the ability to extract the .WAD files without the game getting a brain wipe every time I exit the game.

An aside to kevlahnota & the other modders
1. I don't know if you remember, but I was one of the people who had problems with the cards Daze and Spell Pierce. Being that it does not work even when all the conditions were right (A.I. did not have enough mana to pay). I hope I am not compounding your stress by bringing this up again, but it still does not work for me even though I'm on a completely new computer with a completely new install (even before I did all the above 3 tweaks). I read in official Custom DLC thread and it appears like there are still some people with the same problem with Daze as well. Perhaps there is still something wonky there. See: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2946&p=44459&hilit=daze#p44459

2. Also, I remember back in the early days of the custom card mods, Yanna made this Sliver deck called "Sliver Legion" or "We Are Rampage." Any chance that you guys still have those sliver cards or even the whole deck intact to release in a future release? I love playing with slivers and that deck was killer.

Sorry for the long essay. If you got this far, thanks for reading. Looking forward to any ideas on the above save problems.
Thank you,
Araiwah
araiwah

Re: A Peculiar Problem with Extracting DLCs .WADs & Save Gam

Postby Banality » 13 Apr 2011, 07:12

I have the exact same problem. Made all the changes you did and now the progress doesn't save when I exit the game.
Banality

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers