It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:51

Text Size

Unlocking Magic 2014 Promo Cards without the Promo Codes

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Unlocking Magic 2014 Promo Cards without the Promo Codes

Postby RiiakShiNal » 27 Jun 2013, 23:48

Mushroom Cap wrote:Thanks Riiak for shedding some light on that. You explained that very well. I know that the method of changing the game_mode="2" to game_mode="0" works with no problems if you have already unlocked all of the regular unlocks. I have used my promo cards multiplayer and it works fine. By your explanation, it should also work if you have unlocked the first ten cards of a deck before modifying, correct? Otherwise there are likely to be problems when the game finds two cards to unlock when it's time to unlock a card.
It may even work if you haven't unlocked any, in that when you unlock id 0 it may see that there are two cards with unlockOrderId 0 and unlock both of them without problems, but I don't know as it is not something I have tested.

Oh, and the only part I expected to give problems in multiplayer is adding extra unlocks (not converting existing unlocks) as in my extra Vigor example. Converting existing unlocks preserves the deckOrderIds so there should not be any problems in multiplayer due to that (the game doesn't seem to care how something was unlocked, just what it is and how it fits into the deck). Adding extra unlocks creates new deckOrderIds that other games would not know about (and thus should cause problems).

tanis00 wrote:Hmm, I wonder what would happen if you changed all of the promo game_mode's to 0 and then changed all cards in both files to unlockOrderId=0 either before or after unlocking at least 1 card. I think I might have to give that a shot.
It may unlock all of them when you unlock the first one, I don't know though it is worth at least a test to see.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Shabla » 28 Jun 2013, 01:46

I tried changing the unlockOrderId to 0 for the 10 first cards of a deck. I don't think I had any cards unlocked before, but after that I had 0/40. I played a game vs a computer and won, it only unlocked the first card, so it doesn't appear to work.
Shabla

Postby tanis00 » 28 Jun 2013, 03:09

Shabla wrote:I tried changing the unlockOrderId to 0 for the 10 first cards of a deck. I don't think I had any cards unlocked before, but after that I had 0/40. I played a game vs a computer and won, it only unlocked the first card, so it doesn't appear to work.
Agreed. Something strange is going on here. I changed them all to 0 in both files and changed the promos file to game_mode 0, but the game seemed to ignore it (other than showing 6/40 instead of 6/30). I tried again setting all of the unlockOrderIds to 7 (the next card I would unlock in that deck), but still no dice -- it still unlocked only the one that would naturally have been the next unlock. It looks like unlock order is being maintained somewhere else and this is just a decoy. It also looks like the only way to get the promo unlocks right now is to buy the deck key or figure out how to enable it.

Something strange did happen though. I didn't make any changes at all to this deck's files, but Firewave somehow unlocked 30/30 for me (I was something like 1/30 before this). I'm not sure how or why this happened. Afterward, I edited the promo file for that deck and it DID unlock the promos so now that deck is 40/40 for me.

So right now, it looks like the key to unlocking the promos is either buying the deck key or figuring out how to to trick the game into thinking you did.
tanis00

Postby RiiakShiNal » 28 Jun 2013, 03:47

tanis00 wrote:So right now, it looks like the key to unlocking the promos is either buying the deck key or figuring out how to to trick the game into thinking you did.
Well, tricking the game into thinking you have purchased the deck unlock is easy. You simply change the steam_id_# to 213850 in the deck tag. steam_id_1 is for unlocking the deck. steam_id_2 is for foiling the deck. So to unlock and foil a deck by default you would open the deck xml and set the steam_ids to 213850 like this:
Code: Select all
steam_id_1="213850" steam_id_2="213850"
I don't know what the unlock keys would be for the iOS or Android versions, but the principal is the same, you change the ids (either ios_id_# or android_id_#) to a key you already have. For Steam versions this is 213850 (AppId for the base game).

This will be important for modded decks as it is likely we will still have issues with saving deck configurations in the profile above a certain amount. So for those of you who have the game on an iPad or Android if you can figure out what the keys are for the base game and if they work for deck unlocking then please post those keys.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby tanis00 » 28 Jun 2013, 03:58

RiiakShiNal wrote:
tanis00 wrote:So right now, it looks like the key to unlocking the promos is either buying the deck key or figuring out how to to trick the game into thinking you did.
Well, tricking the game into thinking you have purchased the deck unlock is easy. You simply change the steam_id_# to 213850 in the deck tag. steam_id_1 is for unlocking the deck. steam_id_2 is for foiling the deck. So to unlock and foil a deck by default you would open the deck xml and set the steam_ids to 213850 like this:
Yep, that did it. I changed the deck's steam_id_1 to 213850 and edited the promos file in the unlock directory changing game_mode to 0, and I am now the proud owner of a 40/40 unlocked Hunter's Strength (Garruk). Thanks and enjoy, everyone!
tanis00

Postby CharybdisV » 28 Jun 2013, 05:31

Interesting. When I attempt to play multiplayer with the edited .xmls, it says that my deck differs from others, and that this could be do to either data corruption or malicious recoding. Anyone else have this pop up?
CharybdisV

Postby aceiswild86 » 28 Jun 2013, 18:04

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to running the cmd command. I did the first few steps, but I don't know how to find the folder/navigate I copied to in cmd. Step 4: Navigate to the folder where you unzipped the tools that you just downloaded. Once you are in the proper directory, enter the command "gibbed.duels.unpack data_decks_d14.wad" (without the quotes). Keep this cmd.exe window open as you will be using it again.
I put the tools in my C, and created a folder called "magic".

edit: I typed cd/magic I am now into the folder but i type gibbed.duels.unpack data_decks_d14.wad in cmd and it says "it is not recognized as an internal or external command.
aceiswild86

Postby tanis00 » 28 Jun 2013, 18:21

aceiswild86 wrote:I am a bit of a noob when it comes to running the cmd command. I did the first few steps, but I don't know how to find the folder/navigate I copied to in cmd. Step 4: Navigate to the folder where you unzipped the tools that you just downloaded. Once you are in the proper directory, enter the command "gibbed.duels.unpack data_decks_d14.wad" (without the quotes). Keep this cmd.exe window open as you will be using it again.
I put the tools in my C, and created a folder called "magic".

edit: I typed cd/magic I am now into the folder but i type gibbed.duels.unpack data_decks_d14.wad in cmd and it says "it is not recognized as an internal or external command.
The easiest thing to do is unzip it to the c:\ directory. Then you need to go into that directory and then into bin like this:

cd c:\magic\bin

Assuming "magic" is what you called the directory when you unzipped it, anyway, or just c:\bin if it unzipped that way. That's also the directory (bin) you'd need to copy the wad file into.
tanis00

Postby aceiswild86 » 28 Jun 2013, 18:56

tanis00 wrote:
RiiakShiNal wrote:
Yep, that did it. I changed the deck's steam_id_1 to 213850 and edited the promos file in the unlock directory changing game_mode to 0, and I am now the proud owner of a 40/40 unlocked Hunter's Strength (Garruk). Thanks and enjoy, everyone!
What is the file name to change steam id>
aceiswild86

Postby daenon611 » 28 Jun 2013, 19:00

.\DATA_DECKS_D14_unpacked\DATA_DECKS_D14\DATA_ALL_PLATFORMS\DECKS\D14_*.XML but not the D14_*_LAND_POOL.XML Files

P.S. Adding (and removing) some cards to D14_SEALED_POOL.XML works fine to me, too. :-)
daenon611

Postby tanis00 » 28 Jun 2013, 19:38

daenon611 wrote:P.S. Adding (and removing) some cards to D14_SEALED_POOL.XML works fine to me, too. :-)
Uh oh. Have you checked to see what effect that has when re-generating a new set of packs using the same seed? Like, could you modify which cards exist at which id# (or whatever equivalent is in the file, I don't have it in front of me) and pick the exact cards you'd get? I also wonder if it would stick if you modified the file back to it's original state afterward. Anyone want 10 Murder in their deck? Assuming we can also figure out where the seed is set, this might allow us to make a more universal tool to edit sealed decks (or generate new, random decks, possibly with better balance and a larger pool, which is my personal goal) without having to touch the profile at all.
tanis00

Postby aceiswild86 » 28 Jun 2013, 20:37

CharybdisV wrote:Interesting. When I attempt to play multiplayer with the edited .xmls, it says that my deck differs from others, and that this could be do to either data corruption or malicious recoding. Anyone else have this pop up?
When I try to play multiplayer with the edited xml decks, the people who I am playing with says there is corruption in the file..
aceiswild86

Postby CharybdisV » 28 Jun 2013, 23:53

aceiswild86 wrote:
CharybdisV wrote:Interesting. When I attempt to play multiplayer with the edited .xmls, it says that my deck differs from others, and that this could be do to either data corruption or malicious recoding. Anyone else have this pop up?
When I try to play multiplayer with the edited xml decks, the people who I am playing with says there is corruption in the file..
So what I did to circumvent this (sorta) was to play once with the edited copy of magic 2014, ie the one with 40/40 unlocked on all decks, and then play with the regular, untouched version. Steam remembers that I had those cards unlocked, so it gives them to me without having to use the corrupted data files. Thus I am allowed to play online. I would assume that this process does not work with decks that you have manually unlocked (like Ramaz) unless you build an entirely new .wad and include the coding, illustrations, ID, and format it correctly.
CharybdisV

Postby aceiswild86 » 29 Jun 2013, 02:07

CharybdisV wrote:
aceiswild86 wrote:
So what I did to circumvent this (sorta) was to play once with the edited copy of magic 2014, ie the one with 40/40 unlocked on all decks, and then play with the regular, untouched version. Steam remembers that I had those cards unlocked, so it gives them to me without having to use the corrupted data files. Thus I am allowed to play online. I would assume that this process does not work with decks that you have manually unlocked (like Ramaz) unless you build an entirely new .wad and include the coding, illustrations, ID, and format it correctly.
It works, no problems. If you get an error you can do reinstall and it saves the files all good
aceiswild86

Postby ift » 29 Jun 2013, 02:48

Running the edited copy will save all your unlocks to the 'real' save, and then you'll have all cards unlocked when running the unmodified copy also.

So you might want to back up the save first. The save file is stored under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[userid]\213850\. Might have to also turn off steam cloud for the game.

I accidentally unlocked the ugly foil cards and had to delete the save to get rid of them :)
ift

PreviousNext

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers