It is currently 24 May 2024, 03:45

Text Size

Fast Trigger

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Fast Trigger

Postby braquio » 21 Aug 2014, 01:16

Hi People, a programming question..
There is any instruction to eliminate the time lag when a trigger is resolving.
Cause im trying with forced skip and Auto skip but im not sure how it works exactly.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Braquio Dotp2014 DLC
Alternative Sealed Campaigns for DotP 2014
braquio

Re: Fast Trigger

Postby RiiakShiNal » 21 Aug 2014, 01:27

AUTO_SKIP blocks can eliminate the delay between play time and resolution time, usually on a condition, for abilities in which there is usually no point in waiting for. Firebreathing is a good example because usually there is no point in responding to a firebreathing ability as it doesn't increase a creature's toughness.

forced_skip will always eliminate the delay between an ability's play time and resolution time. This should be used only when it is required that there be no delay. Split Second spells and abilities are a good example as are mana abilities.

Both methods should be used with caution as the lag allows players to respond to spells and abilities (buffing a creature, countering a spell, flickering a permanent, etc...). So make sure there is a valid reason to remove the delay before using one of those, not just a "I don't like the delay so I'm going to take it out" reason.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby braquio » 21 Aug 2014, 01:36

RiiakShiNal wrote:AUTO_SKIP blocks can eliminate the delay between play time and resolution time, usually on a condition, for abilities in which there is usually no point in waiting for. Firebreathing is a good example because usually there is no point in responding to a firebreathing ability as it doesn't increase a creature's toughness.

forced_skip will always eliminate the delay between an ability's play time and resolution time. This should be used only when it is required that there be no delay. Split Second spells and abilities are a good example as are mana abilities.

Both methods should be used with caution as the lag allows players to respond to spells and abilities (buffing a creature, countering a spell, flickering a permanent, etc...). So make sure there is a valid reason to remove the delay before using one of those, not just a "I don't like the delay so I'm going to take it out" reason.
Thanks! Of course i dont want to use it only cause i dont like to wait, is cuase i use the trigger only to assign a value to a variable. :wink:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Braquio Dotp2014 DLC
braquio

Postby braquio » 21 Aug 2014, 01:39

Then, if i understand well
Code: Select all
<AUTO_SKIP always="1" />
has the same effect that:
Code: Select all
<TRIGGERED_ABILITY forced_skip="1">...
Isn't it?
Braquio Dotp2014 DLC
braquio

Postby RiiakShiNal » 21 Aug 2014, 01:57

Almost, AUTO_SKIP can be disabled by options in-game, forced_skip can't be disabled.

If you only use the trigger to assign a variable, then you might want to consider using replacement_effect instead of the other two as replacement_effect will also eliminate the circular animation of the card triggering. If you have to do a query inside an ability that should be a replacement_effect, then you should use replacement_query instead.

A good example for a replacement_effect ability would be a clean-up ability that clears a variable at end/beginning of turn.

A good example for a replacement_query ability would be an "as this card enters the battlefield" ability that asks a question like the shock lands.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby braquio » 21 Aug 2014, 02:15

Mmm..interesting..I'll do a couple of tests. Thanks again!
Braquio Dotp2014 DLC
braquio

Return to Programming Talk