It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Text Size

Getting started with developing

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Getting started with developing

Postby BrutalFear » 03 Feb 2015, 19:39

Hey all,

First, I would like to say what a wonderful job everyone has done on XMage. The amount of work that had to go into building the architecture, parsing the MTG database to build your own, and the sheer amount of programming required to handle each card is just astounding.

I am new to forums so If this has been discussed before, I have not been able to find the post. Also, If this is in the wrong spot I apologize. Please correct me If I make any mistakes.

Programming is my forte and I have over four years experience with Java, python, C, C++, and C#. A friend of mine knows I like MTG and mentioned that there was an open-source project I may be able to get my hands dirty in and contribute. My preferred developing environments (for Java) are in Eclipse, however I do have experience with Netbeans. I have used Git before with Visual Studios (C#), but prefer SVN.

The question I am trying to ask is, where do I sign up? I would love to start programming some of those missing cards I saw. Also, Is there a good post to help me set up my developing enviornment? I checked the wiki out for github already with no luck in reference to Eclipse.

Thanks
BrutalFear

Re: Getting started with developing

Postby fireshoes » 03 Feb 2015, 21:58

The information for the project is here.
fireshoes

Re: Getting started with developing

Postby LevelX » 03 Feb 2015, 22:06

Hello BrutalFear,

yes of course there are still a lot of cards that wait to be implemented. :D
So welcome to XMage development.

Best starting point is here:
https://github.com/magefree/mage/wiki/Developer-Getting-Started

I'm using Netbeans so I can't help out with special Eclipse questions.
I used Eclipse at the beginning of my XMage development time but I had some problems with it and swichted to Netbeans where all was less troublesome (at least at that time).
If you use Eclipse and get it working it would be nice if you provide a step by step "get it working" guide to the GitHub Wiki.

Fork the GitHub project and try to implement some simple cards at the beginning (read the tips of the link above for generation of card class bodies). Then make pull requests with your work. I will do a check and comment and/or merge.

Use our card tracker (http://ct-magefree.rhcloud.com/) to search for similar cards to look for examples if you implement a card.

If you have developer questions feel free to ask in the Developers sub forum here.

Have fun and I hope I will see some work of you soon
Regards
LevelX
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage