It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:55

Text Size

Load balancing

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Load balancing

Postby Morfi » 09 Feb 2015, 11:49

Hi.

You probably noticed by now that we have XMage.info 1 that holds all the players while other EU servers stay empty.
The idea of having more than 1 server was to balance the load as "info 1" is regularly overloaded that causes actions to take way longer than they should (aka "lag").

While I understand that people want to stay on servers that have lots of people waiting in lobby due to higher chance of finding an opponent, yet I think this will become worse as XMage grows.

There are several options to concern:
1. There could be a master server that only does the pairing (finding opponent) and after game is about to start it hosts game on server with smallest load.
2. Suggest in some way to pick servers with moderate load
3. Limit number of games/people on info 1

OR maybe it's just me who notice those delays?
Morfi

Re: Load balancing

Postby LevelX » 09 Feb 2015, 12:17

Morfi wrote:Hi.

You probably noticed by now that we have XMage.info 1 that holds all the players while other EU servers stay empty.
The idea of having more than 1 server was to balance the load as "info 1" is regularly overloaded that causes actions to take way longer than they should (aka "lag").

While I understand that people want to stay on servers that have lots of people waiting in lobby due to higher chance of finding an opponent, yet I think this will become worse as XMage grows.

There are several options to concern:
1. There could be a master server that only does the pairing (finding opponent) and after game is about to start it hosts game on server with smallest load.
2. Suggest in some way to pick servers with moderate load
3. Limit number of games/people on info 1

OR maybe it's just me who notice those delays?
I agree that if the number of users raise more, this will become a problem.
Currently I'm investigating what exactly produces the load on cpu and network (https://github.com/magefree/mage/issues/662)and so it's at least helpful to have enough users online. To fix this internal problems of the server is my prioity 1.

If then I don't see any leverage point, I would go for your points (order 2 -> 3 -> 1 (if possible)).
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Return to XMage