It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:03

Text Size

Inappropriate Player Alert

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Inappropriate Player Alert

Postby Seantastic » 10 Feb 2015, 06:08

I don't know if you people moderate your program, but I just came across a player named "gsleeves" on the xmage 1 server who was very hostile. He insulted my deck, saying he wished I wouldn't play with "such a shitty brew", that I should be ashamed, and more ridiculous profanity out of completely nowhere and unprovoked. It was very uncool and unsportsmanlike, especially insulting me personally for something I put hard work into and was playing for fun on your program. I wasn't playing slow or irritable, my deck wasn't insulting to him. We were literally playing standard and it was a do-nothing game thus far, and I just resolved a Soulflayer.

This experience was really saddening, and I would hate to see someone so hateful continue to berate other players of this great game. Like I said, I don't know if you moderate, but the player "gsleeves" is incredibly detrimental to people's enjoyment of this game.

Thank you for your time.
Seantastic

Re: Inappropriate Player Alert

Postby Hymeneal » 11 Feb 2015, 09:32

I'm just going to assume, in a non insulting way, that the way Xmage is programmed atm it isn't going to let you moderate these kind of players. This guy "gsleeves" will just log off, change his name and log in again, so suddenly he becomes a new player. I guess that leaves IP banning, which isn't hard to avoid either probably. On the other hand, is banning / moderating him in place for "just" harrassing you? If Xmage can't do anything about it, you have to do it yourself. Just close the chat pannel and ignore twats. Is that fair? Who cares if you have no choice? Work with what you've got. Sometimes you don't have someone covering your back. It's a free game, you get free cards to play with, so enjoy. Without talking to said players.
Hymeneal

Postby Morfi » 11 Feb 2015, 12:35

This idea is already discussed here: https://github.com/magefree/mage/issues/478
Perhaps in the future there'll be a way of creating a registered account. Then you'd be able to pick whether you want to play only with registered players (that have say 5+ games) or not.

lol Hymenal, are you this infamous gsleeves? you sound like one
It's not just about being upset and crying to your pillow because some talks shit about you. It's also about playing with people that waste your time by: leaving in the middle of the game, running out of time because they are busy watching 9gag while playing, playing decks that are completly out of scope etc.
Morfi

Postby Hymeneal » 11 Feb 2015, 13:41

Is that a serious question? xD

OT: I was just handing out a small band-aid solution. Minimalizing the chat panel so you won't have to deal with his c**p. I encounter alot of ppl rage quitting and calling me names. So why not shut off chat while the ppl behind Xmage set up some future solutions? You can always use the chat panel again later to see how it goes. Usually when both players start with hf gl and stuff you kinda know you won't be called names at the end of the game, right? xD
Hymeneal

Postby Seantastic » 11 Feb 2015, 17:27

Morfi,
Ah that does make sense. I'd like to see the program take that route so you could include friendlists other neat features as well. Going down that path, they could re-implement the deck editor so it saves your lists to your profile, not your computer, which would give more incentive to preserving your account and acting maturely.

Hymeneal,
I totally understand where you're coming from, and your solution does work, but I wasn't looking for a way not to see insulting content. I was inquiring about possible repercussions for this player. The game isn't about grinding matches for everyone, for most it is about interaction and feedback and transfer of information. There is also the concern for others. I'm 20 years old and in the military, I can take hits, but there could just as easily be younger children on this software that could be more deeply affected by such random verbal abuse.
Seantastic

Postby Kegger » 05 May 2015, 08:32

Another to add, (yes will probably change his handle, but I'm listing anyway)

Manbearpanda, hostile nasty individual.
Way abusive and a total tool to play with..
Kegger

Return to XMage