It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:47

Text Size

Hanging/Error while trying to connect to woogerworks

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Bug Reports 1.3.0 dev 2015-03-14

Postby Gratin » 03 May 2015, 01:32

Whenever I open the xmage client, it tries to connect to the server automatically (I dont get the option to choose server), then I get a "Communication error" followed by a a java.lang.nullpointer exception and the client is unresponsive.
Gratin

Re: Bug Reports 1.3.0 dev 2015-03-14

Postby shanest0ke » 03 May 2015, 05:47

^Also having same issue. Client asks me to download card images, I click 'no', and then it tries to auto-connect to the server and becomes unresponsive.
shanest0ke

Hanging/Error while trying to connect to woogerworks

Postby LevelX » 03 May 2015, 08:14

Since the woogerworks server moved to a new server 2 or 3 weeks ago, it happens often that starting sometime during the day it's no longer possible to connect to the server. As the XMage server is restarted at 10:00 CET (or manually restarted) it starts to work again.

The problem is caused from a specific behaviour of the woogerworks server, that causes the XMage server to hang while trying to connect to the server. I'm investigating this and will fix the client behaviour if possible with a next update so he shows a "Cannot connect" message after a timeout and you can connect to another server in this situation.

What can you do meanwhile:
Set the "Automatically connect to this server next time" to off. (You can do it after disconnecting from a successful connection to a server and calling again connect or by changing it in the java prefs (windows registry). So you have the chance to connect to another server after canceling the XMage client and restarting it again.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Re: Hanging/Error while trying to connect to woogerworks

Postby Gratin » 03 May 2015, 17:54

Thank you for the fix :), but how do you connect to a local server when it auto connects to woogerworks? I never get the chance to turn off auto connect. Is there some file in the client that I can edit to turn it off?
Gratin

Postby LevelX » 03 May 2015, 19:17

Gratin wrote:Thank you for the fix :), but how do you connect to a local server when it auto connects to woogerworks? I never get the chance to turn off auto connect. Is there some file in the client that I can edit to turn it off?
1) If the server works, you can simply choose disconnect from the top menu. Then select connect again and you get the select dialog and can uncheck the autoconnect check box.
2) If the server you autoconnect to does cause the hanging you have to more options:
a) Deactivate your internet connection and try to connect. You should get immediately a "Unable to connect error" with open connect dialog window and you can deactivate the autoconnect option.
OR
b) You can change the setting in the windows registry (nor sure how this is saved under linux or Mac OS).
xmageSettings.jpg
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Asgardian » 07 May 2015, 04:43

Has there been any movement on this? I have not been able to connect to Woogerworkss, or any other server for that matter (other than ring0.cc, but no one there when I am there)for a few days. Thanks in advance.
Asgardian

Postby LevelX » 07 May 2015, 06:12

Asgardian wrote:Has there been any movement on this? I have not been able to connect to Woogerworkss, or any other server for that matter (other than ring0.cc, but no one there when I am there)for a few days. Thanks in advance.
woogerworks has still some problems sometimes not working properly. So it's possible that your client hangs while trying to connect to this server. This problem on the client can only be solved with a xmage update. So you get a faster response, that you can't connect to the server.
The cause what sets the server in this bad mode is still not clear and therefore not solved. But most of the time also woogerworks did work.

But if you can't connect to xmage.de server it's a problem on your side. xmage.de had no problem over the last weeks beeing online and responsive all the time.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Asgardian » 07 May 2015, 13:32

Hmmm... OK - so if it's at my end how would I go about figuring out how to fix it? I have not experience deciphering Java. I've attached the output log from the dialog box here so maybe someone can help - I do see some fatal errors coming up but I have not idea what that means or how to fix.
Attachments
Xmage output.txt
(14.96 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Asgardian

Postby LevelX » 07 May 2015, 18:39

Asgardian wrote:Hmmm... OK - so if it's at my end how would I go about figuring out how to fix it? I have not experience deciphering Java. I've attached the output log from the dialog box here so maybe someone can help - I do see some fatal errors coming up but I have not idea what that means or how to fix.
Did you acticvate autoconnect and hang now always because the client tries to connect to a server?
Or do you manually choose a server to connect to and none is working (e.g. also xmage.de)?

Did you set a proxy server in network preferences?
NoProxy.jpg

Normally this should be set None (as long as you don't need to connect by a proxy server).
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Asgardian » 08 May 2015, 03:35

I tried to give specific codes below but the forum screening though I was trying to spam with links, so I had to remove them. It took me 15 - 20 minutes to edit this to post so I hope it all still makes sense. IT would be nice if the the forum screening tool indicated what it thought was spam so it would be easier to edit.

I never did have it set to auto connect and there is no proxy server set. I seem to have different behavior at different times too. Just now I tried to connect to Woogerworks again and it just hung. The output line give me a fatal error. This is the first time that the "connect" button on the "connect to server" box had stayed greyed out. In the past the button 'unlocks' and turns back to black.

xmageinfo1 gives me a quick message box with "vps24349" in it then the disconnection error box that asks if I want to reconnect. I have received a ping error in the past with this server

I Am able to connect to ring0 without any problem.

All other servers give me an error much like Woogerworks

The weird thing is that all the other servers that fail, xmage thinks I AM connected because when I go to click "connect" in the upper left of the screen, I get the disconnect dialogue box, and I have to do this before I can try to connect to another server. Also the error codes in the lines above are not consistent - I get a different error code each time I try connecting to the same server.

So in short, I can connect to one server, but it is obviously a server not in much use (about one game an hour) and there is no one there when I am there. Am I really the only one having this issue?
Asgardian

Postby Kegger » 08 May 2015, 07:07

I had similar errors as you.
For me it was/is a woogerworks issue.

If I go to woogerworks and it messes up for whatever reason, (kick/hang/errors) Then I can't connect to anything else an I get the
"go to click "connect" in the upper left of the screen, I get the disconnect dialogue box"

Then everything hangs, a way to get back from it is close xmage then restart it, OR
click my network connection on the PC, disconnect, let it sit, close all the popups from Xmage,
then reconnect my network connection then go to a different server.

If you try connecting ONLY to xmage.de and you get the same issues then as LevelX says it is an issue on your side.
Kegger

Postby Asgardian » 10 May 2015, 03:47

OK, so the problems I've been having were on a Win 8.1 system. Today I updated xmage on my older linux system and is has the EXACT same behavior - that being only being able to connect to the Ice Mage (ring0)server. So unless it's my home network, this behavior is not system specific.

I will try to take one of my computers to another network tomorrow to test this and let you know. What is so different about the Ice Mage server that I can connect to this server but no other one?

This behavior only started with the last xmage update. Is there a way for me to roll back to an older version of xmage to retest these two systems?
Asgardian

Postby Kegger » 10 May 2015, 07:17

To roll back, just download/unzip v8 into your xmage install directory,
Telling it to over-right all.
Kegger

Postby LevelX » 10 May 2015, 08:37

Asgardian wrote:This behavior only started with the last xmage update. Is there a way for me to roll back to an older version of xmage to retest these two systems?
You can simply set the XMage Home in the xmage launcher preferences to
http://xmage.info/xmage2014-03-14v8
http://xmage.info/xmage2014-03-14v7
http://xmage.info/xmage2014-03-14v6

instead of
http://xmage.info/xmage

then the launcher updates to the version set with the update action.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby LevelX » 10 May 2015, 08:41

Asgardian wrote:xmageinfo1 gives me a quick message box with "vps24349" in it then the disconnection error box that asks if I want to reconnect. I have received a ping error in the past with this server
I fixed xmage.info server 1, the server was not started properly. It should work again.

But you never explicitly said you can't connect to xmage.de (that is a completely other server than xmage.info).
So what happens if you try to xmage.de?
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Next

Return to XMage