It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:37

Text Size

Can't download launcher please help

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Can't download launcher please help

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 01:01

When attempting to download the launcher off of the XMage page it saves the file as .jar not and executable jar, at first i thought this was intentional but my friend looked at the file he got and it was the proper file type, has anyone else experinced this issue, and if you have do you know of any way to fix it?
jman12903

Re: Can't download launcher please help

Postby Doctor Weird » 22 Sep 2015, 02:19

The launcher is meant to be a jar file, that's what Java will execute. You obviously need Java on your computer for that.

Just read through this guide and you should be fine: Guide to Install and play with XMage
Doctor Weird

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 02:22

opening with the java i have does nothing, what i noticed was when my friend that has the same file, his is a executable jar while the one i seem to be getting is just a jar, so attempting to open it with java appears to do nothing
jman12903

Postby Doctor Weird » 22 Sep 2015, 02:29

Go to http://www.java.com/verify/

What does it tell you when you verify your Java version?

What operating system are you using?

What is the exact name of the file, extension included?

Are you double-clicking the jar file or right-clicking it and opening it with something that way?

Where did you install XMage?
Doctor Weird

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 02:35

says i have the recomended version of java
its windows 8.1 64 bit
XMageLauncher0.3.4.jar
right clicking and opening with javaw.exe (i also tried just java.exe)
i installed off of the sam e link that you sent me
jman12903

Postby Doctor Weird » 22 Sep 2015, 02:48

jman12903 wrote:
| Open
says i have the recomended version of java
its windows 8.1 64 bit
XMageLauncher0.3.4.jar
right clicking and opening with javaw.exe (i also tried just java.exe)
i installed off of the sam e link that you sent me
I meant what directory you installed it to, not where from.

But regardless, you shouldn't need to right-click the file, jar files should be automatically associated with Java on installation, unless something's incorrect with your Java installation.

Have you tried using the batch files at all, as explained in the guide?

To try and save some time: can you take a screenshot of the launcher file while right-clicked and with "Open with" selected?
Doctor Weird

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 02:58

attached is the screenshot you wanted, im sorry im kinda bad at this sort of thing
Attachments
Untitled.png
^the screenshot you wanted
jman12903

Postby Doctor Weird » 22 Sep 2015, 03:13

Not even sure where exactly you put the folder and if that might be causing issues, but just for the sake of trying: drag and drop the XMage folder (with the launcher inside) to your desktop and then try to open the launcher by just double-clicking it from there. What happens?

To be honest I could easily be missing something, but I can't really see an obvious answer here and it's not like I'm looking at it myself. If you're inclined to you could try to uninstall Java completely and install it again, because in my mind it doesn't sound right that Java isn't running the jar file by default. It could very well prove a waste of time too, but I don't really want to waste your time here all night trying every small thing I would think of one at a time.

But again, I never had that issue myself and Java isn't really my thing, so I can't say anything concrete.
Doctor Weird

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 03:23

so i attempted to open it on the desktop, it still did nothing so i uninstalled and reinstalled java and that still didnt work, i double click the prorgam it prompts me what to open with then i choose to open with javaw.exe and it does nothing
jman12903

Postby Doctor Weird » 22 Sep 2015, 03:51

Could be a problem specific to Windows 8, I'm not particularly familiar with it or if it has any incompatibilities/known issues on XMage, so that's another difficulty.

If you've ever used command prompt you could try something. Run CMD (make sure you're using it with administrator rights) and navigate to the directory where the launcher is, using the CD command (there might be differences here with Windows 8 so instead of me telling you specifics and possibly misleading you about these commands and paths just Google any parts you might have trouble with, but basically it should go "CD C:\xxxx\xxxx" and so on). Once you get the console to the right folder run this command inside it:

Code: Select all
java -jar XMageLauncher-0.3.4.jar
This should run the launcher or if there are any errors it should show them now on the console.

All else failing, perhaps someone with better Java knowledge than me might be able to help you later. Like I said, Java is really out of my field and I already feel I've wasted enough of your time on something someone might be able to solve much more easily.
Doctor Weird

Postby jman12903 » 22 Sep 2015, 04:09

HOLY CRAP that worked thank you so much you were a tremendous help
jman12903

Return to XMage