It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:24

Text Size

Trouble installing

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Trouble installing

Postby nmk55255 » 19 Feb 2016, 19:28

I'm very confused about how to get XMage working on my desktop. It works on my laptop just fine. Everytime I try and run the .jar file it tells me I need to install an app to run it with. What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?
nmk55255

Re: Trouble installing

Postby Doctor Weird » 19 Feb 2016, 22:00

nmk55255 wrote:I'm very confused about how to get XMage working on my desktop. It works on my laptop just fine. Everytime I try and run the .jar file it tells me I need to install an app to run it with. What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?
Going to assume you're using Windows 10 on your desktop, is that correct?

Either way, chances are you don't have Java installed on your computer. Java is needed to run jar files.

Have a look at the "Guide to Install and play with XMage" over here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13632

It has a link to verify/install Java in there under step 1, if that is what you need. If you're still confused or stuck on some step just post what the exact problem is so me or someone else can hopefully help you out.
Doctor Weird

Postby nmk55255 » 20 Feb 2016, 00:28

I verified my java is up to date. but when I try and open my .jar file a window pops up that says,

"Unable to install java
There are errors in the following switches:
N:XMageLauncher-0.3.4 (1).jar

Check that the commands are valid and try again"

I've reinstalled the launcher, I've reinstalled java, and it doesn't work. Using command prompt doesn't help either.
nmk55255

Postby Doctor Weird » 20 Feb 2016, 02:27

nmk55255 wrote:
| Open
I verified my java is up to date. but when I try and open my .jar file a window pops up that says,

"Unable to install java
There are errors in the following switches:
N:XMageLauncher-0.3.4 (1).jar

Check that the commands are valid and try again"

I've reinstalled the launcher, I've reinstalled java, and it doesn't work. Using command prompt doesn't help either.
Hmm... First guess I would throw would be that something on your Java isn't properly installed and that you should try reinstalling, but you're a crafty one and stole that line right out of my mouth.

Now I know this is boring, and why would anyone want to go through the same thing twice, but just in case you decide you want to try and reinstall it once more, have a look at the Java Clean-up Tool, it looks for any old leftover Java installations that might still be around, screwing things up. You know, Java sometimes can be a total slob that never cleans after itself. You want to remove all versions of Java from your computer when trying to reinstall, just to be sure.

I'm also going to assume you're installing the proper Java version depending on if your OS is 32 or 64-bit, right?

Oh, and I also noticed you're using the N drive there. No idea of your whole setup with drives or anything, but that wouldn't happen to be the cause of any problem, would it? Like, say, having Java installed in one drive, the XMage files all the way on another external drive and expecting them to still work with each other all the way from across the river? Just a thought, could be worth considering, right? Again, just trying to cover all the bases here.

But alternatively, and probably before any of that, I would really, really put emphasis on the whole "making sure you're actually trying to run jar files with the right program" part. Seriously, you have no idea the amount of times people trip on that little part, really, it's almost every other day, it just keeps happening, like letting your toast burn every other morning. Okay, that one might be just me.

Right-click your XMageLauncher-0.3.4.jar file, select "Open With..." and then go browse through your files, find your Java installation folder, you should see a folder with "jre" followed by a version number, presumably the most recent version, go there, then go to the "bin" folder and find javaw.exe hiding in there somewhere, that's what you want to open jars with (it's like a really manly figure, great for popping open all those stubborn jars).

But yes, the whole leftover old Java installations thing is still a likely scenario. If none of that helps there's a good chance one of those far more knowledgeable guys around here can give some better advice at some point, they're way more into the Javas than me, I'm just the local lunatic that goes around because nobody locked him away yet. So shhh, don't tell them about me, it's our little secret now.
Doctor Weird

Postby nmk55255 » 20 Feb 2016, 06:20

Well I got it to work, without even checking back on this post. I went to xmage.de/xmage, clicked on config.json, and then downloaded it through a link at "xmage.de/xmage/config.json". I have no idea why it worked, but I'm just not going to question. Thanks for your help and good luck with burning your toast next time.
nmk55255

Postby Doctor Weird » 20 Feb 2016, 15:36

nmk55255 wrote:Well I got it to work, without even checking back on this post. I went to xmage.de/xmage, clicked on config.json, and then downloaded it through a link at "xmage.de/xmage/config.json". I have no idea why it worked, but I'm just not going to question. Thanks for your help and good luck with burning your toast next time.
That is... odd, in many ways. But hey, like you said, if it's working now, don't question it. The fact that the error you were getting seems to be something entirely different is still bugging me, but I'll do my best to not think about it during my sleepless nights. In the end you got to use XMage and are able to play now, I count that as a job well done regardless.

And thanks, I decided to switch to cereal this morning, can't burn that! :D
Doctor Weird

Return to XMage