It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:48

Text Size

Unable to start game against AI player

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Unable to start game against AI player

Postby JungleJim99 » 06 May 2016, 01:45

I would like to try a few games against the AI player (to get used to the interface, etc.), but I must be doing something wrong. No matter what setting or deck type I select, I get the same message: Draftbot player can't join this table. Any thought or help to solve my dilemma? Thanks!
JungleJim99

Re: Unable to start game against AI player

Postby Doctor Weird » 06 May 2016, 03:09

What format are you trying to play?

Draftbot is a bot AI for drafts; for other formats, such as constructed (Modern, Standard, Commander, etc.), you need to choose "Computer - mad" under the "Other Players" Type drop-box.
Doctor Weird

Postby JungleJim99 » 07 May 2016, 14:32

Thanks for the reply. I do not see that option in the Other Players/Player 2/Type drop-down list (There are only 2 choices - Human and Computer - draftbot.

Attached is a screenshot of exactly what I am selecting.
Attachments
XMage.PNG
Game settings for XMage game against computer player
JungleJim99

Postby Doctor Weird » 07 May 2016, 15:53

Ah, you must be trying to do this in one of the online public servers. You can't play against the AI on those servers, it's disabled there. If you wish to play against a bot you need to start your own localhost server instead and connect to it.

From the XMage Launcher click the second button, "launch client and server" (or just "launch server" if you already have the client open), the client will open as usual, and the server will start up in the background (you won't see any indication of that unless you have the "show server console" option ticked on under the launcher's settings but it will still be working in the background either way). Make sure you give it at least a minute or two, since the server takes a little longer to start than the client, but once it's up just select "localhost" under the list of servers of your client.

And there you go, you now have your own local server running, with just you connected to it, and you can now select to play against the AI as I described before. Make sure you leave the launcher itself open so that after you're done and close the client you can also close the server by pressing the "stop server" button on the launcher, otherwise it will continue to run in the background after you close XMage.
Doctor Weird

Postby JungleJim99 » 08 May 2016, 00:30

The Doctor has solved the problem! Thank you very much!
JungleJim99

Return to XMage