It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:07

Text Size

Feedback / Suggestions

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feedback / Suggestions

Postby Doctor Weird » 02 Mar 2016, 20:43

You see, this here gets a bit tricky with the timing. You are half-right, and this is kind of a bug and should be reported if it does indeed happen the way you describe. The part you get wrong is saying that 5 happening before 4 would be incorrect, when in fact your 4th point should be split into two points of its own.

The catch here is that both Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker say "As this card enters the battlefield" and not "When this card enters the battlefield." What's the difference? "When" implies a triggered ability that goes on the stack when the card EtB, while the "As" in this case is part of a replacement effect, similar to something like Clone, which already EtB as a copy of their chosen creature, without ever using the stack. So the Needle/Revoker don't ask you to name a card when they enter the battlefield, if they did they would go on the stack and your opponent could still activate his Griselbrand in response to that before you can lock it down. Instead they ask you to name the card on their way down to the table, so that their "lock" is already in place as they arrive on the battlefield.

In sum, this should happen:
  1. Player A resolves their Show and Tell
  2. Player A chooses a card and places it face down separate from their hand (Griselbrand)
  3. Player B chooses a card and places it face down separate from their hand (Phyrexian Revoker)
  4. Both players reveal their cards
  5. Since there is a replacement effect, it must be done, so Player B names a card for the Revoker, while already having Griselbrand in open view.
  6. Both cards enter the battlefield at the same time.
  7. Player A receives priority

Again, you're right in seeing something wrong with the way it works now, good catch, it was just slightly different than what you thought at first.

For reference, this would be the relevant rule:

Rule 400.6 wrote:
| Open
400.6. If an object would move from one zone to another, determine what event is moving the object. If the object is moving to a public zone, all players look at it to see if it has any abilities that would affect the move. Then any appropriate replacement effects, whether they come from that object or from elsewhere, are applied to that event. If any effects or rules try to do two or more contradictory or mutually exclusive things to a particular object, that object's controller--or its owner if it has no controller--chooses which effect to apply, and what that effect does. (Note that multiple instances of the same thing may be mutually exclusive; for example, two simultaneous "destroy" effects.) Then the event moves the object.

Doctor Weird

Postby JBcaesar » 02 Mar 2016, 22:12

Indeed, this is what I had in mind. Thanks for the precision :)
JBcaesar

Postby xclamp » 21 Mar 2016, 04:03

can we make to read card images that has no ".full" on card's filename? so that we can use cockatrice card images and dont need to download a whole card set that consume a lot of HDD space
xclamp

Postby tayfun369 » 07 Apr 2016, 07:33

Interacting with the graveyard or exile feels still clunky and awkward. We need a way to keep them open somehow without taking too much screen space and blocking interaction with other elements of the battlefield.
tayfun369

Postby SirensLure » 11 Apr 2016, 01:56

arch-Enemy and plane's chase would be wonderful to be able to be played even more so since it is normally a group of 4 people (myself included).
SirensLure

Postby PalladiaMors » 12 Apr 2016, 22:11

Given the high level of instability in the public servers since SOI's implementation, many people have been noticing that everyone now has very high quit rates. This is artificial, because these aren't intentional quits, but instead related to server disconnects. I don't think it's a very good welcoming sign for a new player to join a Mage server for the first time and see that everyone has massive quit rates - it makes us look bad.

I don't know how difficult this would be to actually do, but I'd like to suggest that the devs study the possibility of resetting people's account histories, given this recent special circumstance. This matter has been showing up sometimes in server chat lately. I surely miss my old quit rate, before my account history got marred by a bunch of quits that weren't intentional...
PalladiaMors

Postby tuberov » 14 Apr 2016, 20:47

Something that popped up more when I was using more delve cards, but being able to highlight the cards selected while delving would be nice. Case in point, I was playing Empty the Pits and if I delved for 20 and missed a card, I had to go back through clicking each card to see which one I missed. It was annoying and took unnecessary time.

escplan9: I like this idea a lot. Created enhancement request for it: https://github.com/magefree/mage/issues/1876
tuberov

Postby JPO1991 » 15 Apr 2016, 03:14

An advanced search system, like the one Magic Workstation have.
JPO1991

Postby HazoHax » 01 May 2016, 14:10

I noticed you recently added a "Freeform" game type to Constructed. I saw this and instantly thought it might be fun to play commander with some friends on this "Rule-Free" format. I was sadly disappointed when I realized it wasn't made for commander. I suggest that you add a "Freeform" format for commander, allowing you to have any creature/planeswalker as your commander and have cards from unhinged and unglued and the like. Also on a side note, a Friend system and PM system would be nice additions.
HazoHax

Postby Rhotick » 20 May 2016, 15:59

I have a suggestion that may improve usability on cards like Gleeful Sabotage that read "Copy this spell. You may choose new targets for the copy."

At the moment, if you do copy a spell like Gleeful Sabotage, XMage will ask, "Change the target of this spell from [original target]?" This tripped me up the first few times, because it looks like it's asking whether you want to change the target of the original spell, even though that's not the case (and not technically possible).

It would be clearer if it asked something more like, "Choose a new target for this copy of Gleeful Sabotage? [three-char identifier]"
Rhotick

Postby Finbez » 20 May 2016, 23:39

Are you guys/gals changing the commander mulligan rule in the near future? The official rules now use the same vancouver mulligan as other formats. Atm xmage uses the partial paris mull.
Finbez

Postby AcesGambit » 24 May 2016, 00:47

Howdy! Huge Fan of the client first off. The suggestion I have is with regard to the Stack trigger windows. When multiple card effects trigger the game asks you to choose an order of operations for those triggers to hit the stack. This is correct but the current system isnt very friendly to high volume trigger decks and can often cause a crash when I play my Warp World deck. My question and suggestion has 2 parts.

First I'd like to request the ability to select triggers off the same card of the same effect all simultaneously something like ctrl clicking the desired card effect would grab every copy of that trigger and place them on the stack similar to how it does when all the triggers left to be selected are the same. An Example: Say I have a Courser of Kruphix in play as well as any landfall creature and I play a card which pulls into play multiple lands from my deck. Both the Courser and the landfall creature trigger at the same time from this card and put onto the stack to be sorted a large number of effects equal to the number of lands. I would like to be able to ctrl click one of the Courser effects waiting to be selected and have all identical effects waiting to be put on the stack from the Courser apply to the stack as well.

fireshoes: When there are multiple triggers waiting to be put on the stack, you can right-click one and choose to have all triggers with that text put onto the stack first or last.

Secondly I'd like to ask how I can go about allocating more memory to the process of the stack on my local server host. I've attached a screen grab of one of the games I played wherein it would be impossible to finish sorting my stack because of a lack of memory even if I had the resolve to sort without the aid of the above request.

LevelX: You can raise the XMage server memory in the Launcher settings. java->Server java options, for example chnage the string to -Xms2G -Xmx2G or more.

Again thank you for all your hard work this is my favorite pastime and means of experiencing new cards before I buy them.

Aces
Attachments
Trigger Stack Picture.jpg
AcesGambit

Postby Thea » 27 May 2016, 04:56

I know it has been mentioned several times, but if anyone would work on an advanced search which allowed to filter by a list of lone sets IE: (BFZ, ROE, WWK, TSP). It would be really appreciated. Since the filtering system is already there, It seems that it would almost only be some GUI work.
Thea

Postby Ekkaiaa » 28 May 2016, 12:17

At begin, I want to say I am impressed by Xmage and respect enormously and appreciate the titanic work done, is incredible, really!

After several games and testing, I see the game in general very stable and working really well (I'm very surprised, cause the complexity).

Any case, my "feedback" as a player, some kind of "wish list":

- I know that look and feel it's not a priority and there are some limitations. In this way, all foward steps are welcome (maybe search for somebody that could collaborate with gfx editing for menus, buttons, icons, etc?).

- But with no "big graphics changes" I think that specially battlefield view could be better (for 16:9 and 5:4). Maybe just "some relocating" and sizes.

--- The main problem imo is that in the battlefield there are unused space that could be better organized.

--- Well, actually the "normal" view (for example, as I have configured): i.imgur. com/4yr3EaF.png. In red, never (never) used space.

--- First: About the on-hover window with "text version" of the card: if exists image (99% cases) I think is better to show on-hover the card image (if not the "text-like-card" version)... So, for start, the right column (where hovered card is shown) could be removed. Don't need it! Actually, who are seeing it? With mouse scroll down and on-hover this could get much more space and it's confortable.

--- IMO, the main purpose must be show the cards in the bigger size that possible and mantain the other elements of the game organized.

--- I think played "cards" and "hand" are the most important. I think hand may be much bigger and try to be always visible (the most number of cards, but bigger! to get the feeling that is "your hand"). Maybe also a little fish-eye a-la Mac Dock effect could be great (if I can remember, Magic Duels has it).

--- Also, to be able to have the cards as large as possible, perhaps you can think about moving a little to the right lands, cause panoramic view cuts a bit vertical space. But all space increment for cards (less "padding" between buttons/objects in the played cards zones, the "done" zone button, etc) are welcome.

--- Pile, chat, history: First, I think that pile coild be vertical, and "overing" cards by priority order, so fit perfectly at right with the free space. Chat/history could be mixed, will explain next.

--- So, an "ugly ugly" approach to what I said...: i.imgur. com/nvXIbdW.jpg (just an approach, surely other people could have better ideas).

--- Well, I haven't experience with ManaLeak, Magic Online (just watched some videos) and so on, but thinking on "how" to organize elements... ends in very similar results...

--- Let me explain: 3 zones: A, B ,C. Could user move colummns? Maybe order could be B, A, C. For my taste, like in the image.
A-C could be size fixed (or user resizeable).
---- #1: Here the turn-buttons. Again, some gfx guy could make nice work (in some medieval-magic-role thematic). If not such space, the "done" button (very important one!) could be move to #2 zone. Also mention that player boxes are bigger and could be redesigned for more cool looking (icons, life/hand could be bigger, etc) (but the organization could be in this way). Also because will be "bigger player description boxes" maybe items could be bigger and one over one (like a table with 1 row-1 cell, not 2).
---- #2: Turn steps, with some effect to see clearly where in-game moment you are. There are more space coz could be convenient to write more readable text (like MOL). Also could have some background a-la visual separator for view clearly the zones ("black thing" i added).
---- #3: Right bar: Who need two "text/chats" boxes? I think that could be mixed (chat+log merged) or maybe with two tab buttons or just a checkbox on-off or something. But two text zones (chat are used few few times) are so text and many space. So mixed or tabs (highlight if new text etc) (and also will be wider, for help reading text).
---- #4: Pile: vertical and with many space (cards could be over by prority and click or hover show it).
---- #5: Some visual separator between your zone and enemy zone. This zone could be "fluid" (like actually). Or maybe like Magic Duels, use the #2 turn steps to make a separator between players, I prefer like my image. I think also that lands a bit righted and (or not) enchants etc... Well just ideas, but that could get bigger image cards.
---- #6/7: That's not unused space, that's your hand!. But with visual separators hand sizes its gives the "sensation" of real hand.
And what about 5:4? Same idea: A-C fixed, B fluid (scrollbars if needed etc): i.imgur . com/VJPkY3B.jpg

- Grey background for main program looks much better than default. For in-game background... you could use MTG ones or there are legal issues with the package? A lot of suitable ones in official website (magic.wizards. com/es/node/46395). Or just maybe "game rug/table" feeling one (like Magic Duels) (gfx collab!).

- Some kind of "match status". It's very strange the moment between game 1 and game 2, sometimes you got to lobby window (enemy it's siderboarding here, no?) and waiting for... what game was? :).

- I think could be nice small icons with main habilities (fly, first strike, trample, etc) like mana costs icons in the played criatures, optional like another options. Maybe also a "moving" efect for flying creatures, like in Magic Duels (Edit: You could use the "official icons" from: drive.google. com/file/d/0B-cZn2P5m-lYYVNvR3BNLWZWMjg/view (from user Xander9009, in folder "badges")

- Some cards has "white" corners (white: i.imgur. com/P1U66qP.png & nice: i.imgur. com/lPBYx3J.png). Maybe image "containers" could be with a little round-borders for avoid it and solve the effect. Or mabye some image processing when importing. Well, there are many "not-rounded" and good, maybe "if pixel pos. 2x2 is white then round..."?

- Also I think many times card resizing doesn't look good, looks like just the "big jpg" in another size, not a new created . compiled/rendered "thumb" in the needed size for the battlefield (could be temporal one?).

- Like gfx, improvements on sounds would be also great.

- Maybe some kind of match historial viewer.

- In deck editor could be a bit more advanced search, filters etc and the possibility of import format not only a .txt file, also "paste" the deck directly in a textarea.

- Menu bar it's a bit strange for me first time.

Hope this give you some productive ideas!

Edit: I'm converting with D15Tool Magic Duels content... there are icons, sounds, battleground backgrounds...
Ekkaiaa

CPU vs CPU

Postby metzp3369 » 29 May 2016, 22:31

Something I think might be kind of useful would be the ability to let the computer play itself. I imagine myself tweaking a deck, and wondering if I'm improving or hurting the deck, then pit the computer versus itself playing the two versions of the deck against some third arbitrary deck. Possibly, with the ability to fast-forward or simulate playing 10/100/1000 games to see statistically which deck wins more often. Maybe it's not as useful as I think it is, but it seems like the majority of the legwork is already done with the AI, and it could save a lot of time in deciding whether to run 22 or 23 lands if you can see a verified difference in win rates over the two options.
metzp3369

PreviousNext

Return to XMage