It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:01

Text Size

Can I just play Shandalar pls

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Can I just play Shandalar pls

Postby DirtyOne » 26 Aug 2015, 21:37

So i´v just spent a day and a half going through these forums in an attempt to get Shandalar on my computer. I´v found several posts talking about updates with newer cards for the game (witch I really don´t want by the way) and a punch of download links that require me to install a bunch of other programs and then fail to launch Shandalar (manalink works fine tho too bad I have no interest in it). So I have a question: Can I just play Shandalar pls. There used to be an installer that got me the game with no other stuff attached (Shandalar 2012 I think(there are still some references to it)) but that seems to have vanished from the face of the internet. I just want to play basic Sahndalar with the old cards, is that still possible?
DirtyOne

Re: Can I just play Shandalar pls

Postby CirothUngol » 27 Aug 2015, 01:06

Sure. Go to one of the links in my signature, look in the folder 'Manalink 1.3.2' and download that archive. That's the original Microprose version. It's been stripped of sounds and animations, but you can get those by grabbing the archives in the 'Manalink 3.0' folder if you wish.

I removed the 'Shandalar 2012' download because of potential problems with people using it as a base install for Korath's new Shandalar version. It contained a whole host of hacked-up and replaced files that might have caused problems, but it also had lots of updated graphics and other fun stuff. So, as a courtesy, I've uploaded the final version from 2012/11/07 to a temp drive on Google. I'll keep it there for a few days, maybe a week.

My Google Temp Folder

Remember to always extract to a folder where you have full permissions.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby DirtyOne » 27 Aug 2015, 02:41

Thanks man. I did actually manage to find the manalink 1.3.2 download from your "main post" (I guess). I got confused cos all the other post kept talking about the manalink 3.0 so it was the only one I tried.
It might interest you that trying the newer versions crashed my computer when trying to launch Shandalar. Don´t know if I did something wrong or not but it just gave me a black screen and I could´t get access to my windows anymore.
Don´t remember the exact specs of my computer and the paper work is tucked away too deep for me to bother but:
Intel i7 processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (drivers up to date, according to nvidias own updater anyway)
Windows 7 x64
Gigabyte mother board (cant remember more, sorry)
8gb ram
DirtyOne

Postby CirothUngol » 27 Aug 2015, 03:57

Did the Manalink1.3.2_20010711 and/or Shandalar_2012delta archives work for you?

Incidentally, Korath's new version allows you to choose which sets to include (read the Shandalar.ini file under [Sets]), so you can play with only the original sets (with all of the fixed and enhanced original cards) or you can even include some early sets like Arabian Nights to Ice Age and omit the rest. The new version contains many fixes to rules, card text, etc. If you're a fan of the game, or when you grow tired of the 650-ish cards available in the Microprose original, it's worth your while to get Korath's version working.

If you're into it, I would ask you to reboot your machine and try the procedure listed in the 9th post of this thread.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Return to Shandalar