It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:27

Text Size

[OUTDATED]NEW Shandalar installation guide for newbies

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[OUTDATED]NEW Shandalar installation guide for newbies

Postby Aswan jaguar » 31 Jan 2016, 13:08

This is a Shandalar Experimental* installation guide you can use to get Korath's Shandalar (with all the new cards and features) working.This is for NEW users mostly that found it difficult to find everything that is needed as info is scattered and in many posts.I provide directly the download links except Sonic's Manalink3 makeover graphic art patch because it has some directions.This installation guide will get easier and out of Experimental* status probably with the next shandalar update.(I haven't ask Korath however if he will continue to be compatible with latest Manalink version).
This installation works in my Windows xp.Also working in tablet with windows 8.1
Experimental* = It is an awkward installation which works though.I preferred this way because it is cleaner.
1- Download and install this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nc5v2 ... 25-BFZ.zip
2- Download and install this (be careful to install the contents of the Manalink-3.0-PortaltoTheros file) in the same folder you have chosen for step 1 above overwriting everything: http://www.mediafire.com/?gdl1kl4j319g2gr
3- Download and install this in the same folder you have chosen for step 1 above overwriting everything:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6a86j ... 325-FR.rar
4- Download and install this graphic mode 4a or 4b according to your screenplay,in the same folder you have chosen for step 1 above overwriting everything:
4a- Widescreen Manalink3.0 HD Graphic Pack V1.3 by Sharlack(Feb 9, 2014): http://www.mediafire.com/download/06kfd ... deV1.3.zip
OR
4b Standard 4:3 Manalink3.0 HD Graphic Pack V1.3 by Sharlack(Feb 9, 2014):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tpze0 ... tdV1.3.zip
OR
4C graphic mode by Sonic directions in his post:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15590#p162580
5- Download and install this (shandalar latest update Nomad Bazzar1)in the same folder you have chosen for step 1 above overwriting everything: download/file.php?id=23500
6- Follow card artwork instructions and download and install this in the same folder you have chosen for step 1 above :
Artwork links and directions by Sonic | Open
If you are downloading Manalink 3.0 for the first time, or your currently installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder is older than the March 2015 release, please download and install the folder and files in the following archives:
Delete your currently installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder and replace it with the folder in the CardArtManalink_2012 archive. Then copy the artwork from the CardArtUpdates_2012_2014, March and December archives into the newly installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder.

‘CardArtManalink_2012.zip’ (Main Folder / Artwork) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhis2 ... k_2012.zip
‘CardArtUpdates_2012_2014.zip’ (Compiled 2012-14 Card Art Updates) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/btxf2 ... 2_2014.zip
'CardArtUpdate_March2015.zip' – http://www.mediafire.com/download/37iqa ... ch2015.zip

EDIT Korath will probably have lots of arguements for this guide as it is experimental and awkward and might cause some problems that I didn't encounter in my limited testing(1 hour of play-testing this without any problems).So don't bother Korath with installation problems you found while trying this!
Report back here any problems and I might be able to help you.
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 16 Sep 2016, 13:52, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: OUTDATED in title
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: Shandalar Experimental installation guide for NEW users

Postby Vernon » 01 Feb 2016, 03:05

There might be a better way:

Go to this post here:

viewtopic.php?f=76&p=192179#p192179

It has a link to an updated and working Shandalar version (7/24/15). That may or may not help. Let me know in that topic what I need to do to further update it. I'm just getting (re)started after a looooooooooong break, so help me out by figuring how recent the card sets are in that archive.
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Re: Shandalar Experimental installation guide for NEW users

Postby Aswan jaguar » 01 Feb 2016, 04:58

Vernon wrote:There might be a better way:
Please don't mention in my post something that you have not made to work yourself!
The installation I am proposing here is complete and ready to use (tested only in my windows xp so far) for people that found it difficult to download and install everything they need.I say experimental because I recommend an unorthodox way which works though.The unorthodox part will be removed with the new update if Korath continue the updates based in latest Manalink3.0 installation.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: NEW Shandalar-Experimental installation guide for NEW us

Postby Vernon » 01 Feb 2016, 05:32

If it helps, what I'm using has been tested and does work as a full version with no errors whatsoever. The link was posted in the topic I posted earlier and is currently working with nothing modified in it (so far). Please read the topic for my issues and to help a returning player understand what needs to be done.

This started as a clear mistake I made in Korath's sticky, so I'm trying to figure things out. I need help, though, so read the topic and help me out. The methods to achieve the goal are not clear to me and, as a somewhat new user, confusing. The link I provided does work and cuts through the confusion for me. Another factor is that I'm using Win 10, although that should not matter. I do not mean to butt heads.

I have all the files listed, but I am hesitant to risk it as it is an experimental installation method. The archive I linked was done by someone who uses these forums and had evidently already done these steps (not these specifically, but others listed in this forum) beforehand. Basically, I happened to find it by chance and thorough searching, saving me hours of frustration and choice posting.
When playing, card text is important. Read and understand it. It will usually prevent most errors.
Vernon

Re: NEW Shandalar-Experimental installation guide for newbie

Postby DBMarquetti » 13 Sep 2016, 17:17

Thanks, man.
You saved me a lot of trouble!!
DBMarquetti

Re: NEW Shandalar-Experimental installation guide for newbie

Postby chrisshike » 16 Sep 2016, 01:07

I did all the steps in this post, however am getting this error:

Could not load (Modern)
C:\Users\ChrisShike\Desktop\Shandalar\DuelArt\Modern.dat:[Frames]CardBk_Special=
"C:\Users\ChrisShike\Desktop\Shandalar\CARDART\modern\CardBk_Special.png"

Any thoughts on how I might fix that?
chrisshike

Re: NEW Shandalar installation guide for newbies

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Sep 2016, 13:27

chrisshike could you post a snapshot of your shandalar folder (the list of all files there) and one of your cardart folder?
You probably messed up things somewhere.Is that all that is missing or only the first of a series of missing/corrupted files?

However even if you make this work this will still be outdated and I am not able at the moment to provide an installation guide with the latest patches.You better try to follow the "official" installation guide by Korath which is in the latest patch(in that forum you can always find the latest patch):
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=17003&start=540#p200977
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Shandalar