It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:26

Text Size

Manalink Update Mar 21 2009 - Deck editor filters fix

The latest Manalink updates are posted here.
PLEASE DO NOT BUMP OLD UPDATES!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Manalink Update Mar 21 2009 - Deck editor filters fix

Postby 0rion79 » 21 Mar 2009, 10:44

Download link: http://www.savefile.com/files/2049723

hello, I have spent a couple of hours to fix some bugs left in the deck editor. This is Jatill's latest update without any change to the exe (except that Tolaria is no longer an artifact land and Wall of Kelps that now ask for 2 blue manas) with some fixes here and there.

EDIT:
The main one is that I've tried to fix a strange bug that came out when I did fix artifact creatures. In fact, in the original game, they are all tagged in column 1 as 44 (creature), to separate them from non-creature artifacts in the deck editor but this caused a glitch with Coat of Arm that was not affecting artifact creatures anymore.
I have done it by tagging artifact creatures with the ID 44 and everything works fine but, since Lone fox, that is much more expert than me, claims that this may cause troubles (I can't see how since it is just a tag), I've added a second folder (named "regular polarity") to the archive that contains a CSV file with all the fixes EXCEPT the one about artifact creatures so, if you should ever have any problem, just use those files instead.

Also, I've fixed the database abilities for some cards (eg. Zuran's orb was tagged as a first strike card! LOL :lol: ) including the new slivers (now they are "give haste, vigilance"...) & stuff and included some kind of portraits for cards, for the ones that missed old Savannah Lions or Triskelion images. Please, check which ones you want to include before overvriting files.
Last edited by 0rion79 on 21 Mar 2009, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
0rion79

Re: Manalink Update Mar 21 2009 - Deck editor filters fix

Postby LoneFox » 21 Mar 2009, 13:09

0rion79 wrote: :!: Now, instead, I've tried to switch factors, using ID 44 to mark non-artifact creatures, I've tested the game and everything works fine :)
This is silly. You fixed a minor bug by messing up all data in the csv and created Eris knows how many new bugs as side effect... Please upload a new version with this change reverted.

I will fix Coat of Arms properly once more important things (the targeting system C API) are ready.
LoneFox
Programmer

Postby 0rion79 » 21 Mar 2009, 13:13

Sorry, Lone Fox, but why do you claim that I've messed up the data in the CSV file?
For sure, it is not "all data" but *MAYBE* only non-creature artifacts and, also, I've tested the game before releasing it and I've seen no messes around it. It is just a "tag" for deck filters and I actually see nothing bad in it.

I've also privately messaged you for the same reason and I'm surprised to see such an harsh reaction here on the forum.
0rion79

Postby LoneFox » 21 Mar 2009, 14:01

0rion79 wrote:Sorry, Lone Fox, but why do you claim that I've messed up the data in the CSV file?
For sure, it is not "all data" but *MAYBE* only non-creature artifacts and, also, I've tested the game before releasing it and I've seen no messes around it. It is just a "tag" for deck filters and I actually see nothing bad in it.
Have you decompiled the executable and gone though all its source to make sure that code 44 is not used to identify artifact creatures in any other place than the deck editor? I don't believe so!

If you are going to make big and potentially destructive changes then ask opinion of other developers before doing so, like I did with the targeting system and jatill did with hybrid.

There are already problems caused by similar changes in the executable. Two separate instances of two keywords using same bit flag for example.

I've also privately messaged you for the same reason and I'm surprised to see such an harsh reaction here on the forum.
I don't see anything harsh in this. You posted something obviously stupid and I pointed it out and asked you to correct it. That is (or should be) normal practice in any open source project.

This case once again shows that this project needs some kind of version control. Perhaps I should set up a subversion repository for it on my own computer...
LoneFox
Programmer

Postby 0rion79 » 21 Mar 2009, 14:09

Of course no, I didn't that because it is out of my range but I have played a lot with the game extensively using coat of arms and other decks to see if there was some weird interaction and I've seen nothing bad. It is just a tag in the CSV file, that elsewere would result unused.

Anyway, since I'm not so stupid to say that a person that is more expert than me is wrong, I've followed your advice and I've added another folder to the archive without the change to artifact creatures so, if just the most little wrong effect comes out, the "medicine" is ready. Of course, if coat of arms can be fixed, there is no reason of such change.

Ah, also I would agree about the idea of a supervisor. I think that it would be very useful even because, in this way, we could better use our "workforce" in a more productive way :P
0rion79

Postby Bog Wraith » 21 Mar 2009, 16:22

LoneFox wrote:
This case once again shows that this project needs some kind of version control. Perhaps I should set up a subversion repository for it on my own computer...
Yes, this is what I was eluding to in my post of last week, which spun off topic, but did get some feedback. Not enough however.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=979

There are allot of cooks in the pot but there is no head chef!

I think that the head chef should be composed of a few of the developers and not just one person. You guys have to come up with this amongst yourselves. Us non programming types are not qualified to make those decisions.

Maybe you can all get together on a chat service on a day that is convenient for all of you and discuss this and come to some agreement on how this is implemented, posting your conclusions on the Wiki so everyone can see them and understand how things will work. If not via chat, then use the PM feature here to gage what all the developers think, once again coming to a mutually agreed conclusion.

All I know is something has to be done!
I change the updates from sticky status to regular standard topics when the latest release is posted so as to make it easy for ALL members to find the newest version. It helps to keep things organized. Problem is, lately, I've been hesitant and sometimes confused as to what version should be considered the new, working update. Too many minor or bug fixed versions are be posted as that days new update. I had said that I wanted people to post those kinds of updates under the current one until a true new update would be released as the one that would be changed to a sticky, while removing the old one from same.

So, I'm back to my original point of last weeks post; there needs to be a meeting of the "Programmers Minds" to solve this issue once and for all. So...

I call EVERYONE who has done or wants to do any coding to figure out the best way to communicate with each other and come to a conclusion and settle this once and for all!

Huggy and I will do whatever it takes to help you implement whatever it is you decide upon.

It's way past time for this fellas!

I'm going to post this as it's own sticky to get the attention, I Hope, of everyone concerned.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby 0rion79 » 21 Mar 2009, 16:46

I strongly agree, BW!
Also, if I can suggest, I would like to reserve a section of the forum for polls about some decisions that are too difficult to take for only 1 person, and then respect that choice since it is the forum's will.
0rion79

Postby Huggybaby » 21 Mar 2009, 16:52

The best way to poll right now is to PM Bog Wraith with your request. He'll be able to make sure it's done right.

Now,

GO HERE: http://www.efnet.org/
Make a nickname
In channel, type #manalink

I'll see you there.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to Patches