It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:07

Text Size

Manalink Update - Sep 16th - Dredge

The latest Manalink updates are posted here.
PLEASE DO NOT BUMP OLD UPDATES!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink Update - Sep 16th - Dredge

Postby monopoman » 22 Sep 2009, 10:46

I'm sure if you want to bribe Jatill just send a PM and see if it will work.

Jatill may very well accept your bribe and put card xyz in.
monopoman

Postby somacat » 22 Sep 2009, 11:50

I'm not sure, but Spellstutter could be problematic to code, being a ETB creature that targets something on the stack. It may be possible as a 'counter target spell cmc equal to or less than the number of faeries you control, put a Spellstutter Sprite into play', though... Clique should be easy enough I guess, not sure about Champion, maybe it could work something like Tawnos' Coffin?
somacat

Postby Broolex » 22 Sep 2009, 18:39

monopoman wrote:I'm sure if you want to bribe Jatill just send a PM and see if it will work.

Jatill may very well accept your bribe and put card xyz in.
It is not exactly a bribe, man. I will be paying for a superb job!

I'm thinking about how much $$$ I've spent in IRL Magic and 20 bucks for my two favourite cards really seems fair enough.

Actually, I think that this is more fair than flood the forum begging for a card. Also, Jatill deserves a reward.

Maybe someday we could "order" our favorite cards, paying a worth price for them... I don't know, its just a thought.

Also... How can I make a donation? Do I have to follow GoblinHero's instructions?

Sorry for any English mistake... I'm still learning!

Cheers!
Broolex

Postby jatill » 22 Sep 2009, 18:53

Broolex wrote:Maybe someday we could "order" our favorite cards, paying a worth price for them... I don't know, its just a thought.

Also... How can I make a donation? Do I have to follow GoblinHero's instructions?
There is no system in place to bride or donate to me :) That's because everything I've done so far has been free. And as must as I like the idea of compensation, it doesn't matter in this case, since I think Spellstutter Sprite is impossible to code due to the 6th edition rules of the game. Sorry man.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby monopoman » 23 Sep 2009, 03:06

Well I think if someone wants a card bad enough they should pay. I am happy to request cards I would like to see but will not cry about it when you don't make them.

But cards for hire would make some sense especially with the understanding that everyone gets it after its done. This would be a purely optional system and everyone has the rights to wait for the random cards of your choosing you add each time.
monopoman

Postby somacat » 23 Sep 2009, 03:34

I have thought about the problem of adding counterspell creatures in my (very limited) toying around with SkyMagic. Would either of these ideas work / form the basis for a working counterspell dude? (Mystic Snake as an example for easier templating):

a) Counter Target Spell. Put a 2/2 into play. Remove this from the game. If the 2/2 would be put into a graveyard, remove it from the game and place a copy of the counterspell in the graveyard. If the 2/2 would be returned to hand, remove it from the game and place a copy of the counterspell in your hand, etc.

b) From my limited understanding, there is a line of code in instants and sorceries that specifically puts the card in the graveyard once it's done resolving. Probably not possible, but make the instant have power / toughness tags (such as have erroneously been placed on things like Trinisphere and Vault of Whispers, IIRC) and remove this line of code?

Both of these ideas are not quite functionally the same as Mystic Snake, due to the obvious limitations in the rules engine (ie, the 'counter target spell' becomes a spell instead of a triggered ability, and the creature enters play afterwards. But it's pretty close.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to work out how to code cards in C *at all*, since the guide for that isn't very detailed (maybe it doesn't need to be, I'm just not very computer literate :lol: ), and looking at code in ASM is like trying to read a Chinese newspaper for me! Mashing card together is entirely beyond me!

EDIT: I think you should make a thread, hiring out your services for making cards! Not only would this provide you with the possibility for some kind of well-deserved compensation, bit with so few slots left, cards people are willing to pay for are rather likely to be decent :) My only concern about it are the possible legal ramifications of altering the game *for profit* after spending waaayy too much time reading the Ed Beard Jr vs Artistic Alterations thread on MTGSalvation. AFAIK though, Manalink is abandonware, so I'm not sure if Microprose have any copyrights at all.... *shrug*

EDIT2: Just tried fooling around with SkyMagic, and adding a power / toughness to Infernal Contract, since that card conveniently doesn't have the 'put into graveyard' line of code with the bug fix update. Didn't do much, though. All I did was modify p/t and AI p/t in Manalink.exe, and p/t and card types creature *and* sorcery in Magic.exe. Had 2/2 tag in my hand but not in play. Oh well...
EDIT3: wootwoot - changed the subtype in Manalink.exe to creature. Have a 2/2 attcking Infernal Contract in play! So If I could figure out how to remove the 'bury this' code from Counterspell, Mystic Snake should be easy to code - then it's a small jump to Spellstutter Sprite (Counter target spell cmc = or < the number of Faeries you control + 1). Perhaps it would only be castable if it had a target though =/
somacat

Postby Salbei » 23 Sep 2009, 10:29

I am currently more concerned about the copyright of the artwork.Hope that hosting the images on my webspace won´t backfire.
Technicly the card/flavortext is still copyrighted aswell.Doesn´t Matter that manalink is not.But i´m no lawyer.

could you link that thread please ? nvm i´ve found it.
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 23 Sep 2009, 11:57

somacat wrote:lots of ideas
Idea would work, mostly. It just wouldn't count as a creature spell in your hand. The trick with Infernal Contract would work too. the only problem I'm actually having is being able to cast a creature at interrupt speed.

By the way, if you can follow the instructions to get the C code compiling, you're 95% the way there. Depending on the card, the coding can be ridiculously easy.

Example:

Code: Select all
int card_lotus_cobra(int player, int card, event_t event){
    if( landfall(player, card, event ) ){
        int color = choose_a_color(player, 3); // 3 = AI choice
        produce_mana(player, color, 1);
    }
    return 0;
}
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby somacat » 23 Sep 2009, 14:38

When followeing the instructions on the Wiki, I kinda stalled at 'build.pl rorix_bladewing'... It just opened up a page of what I assume to be gibberish :lol: I couldn't see anything to suggest 'an address at which Rorix was added'. That kinda just stopped me in my tracks and I never bothered with it again.

There's lots of other things I don't understand, but I'm sure I could work them out with trial and error, such as for example, what the '3' means in your Lotus Cobra code...

Bear in mind I have *no* programming experience for almost 20 years, since I played around with basic on my C64 as a child :mrgreen:

For the Mystic Snake thing - it dawned on me that it wouldn't be quite the same as Infernal Contract, since as a counterspell in hand, it would need a target before it could be cast. You could probably do something like put it into play as a cycling-style effect (Rules engine-Play Mystic Snake-Tap 1GUU), except for the uncounterability. It would probably be fetchable by Merchant Scroll too - but then so is any creature with flash (is this why?). It sort of would count as a creature in hand though, since my Infernal Contract Man was unable to be Duressed...

EDIT: Was able to make a Mystic Snake that died whenever it came into play and was unable to be cast without a target. Casting it at interrupt speed wasn't an issue though. So I guess we either have a creature that can't be cast a interrupt speed, or an interrupt that can't be cast at normal times lol. It's highlighted as though it is castable though. And it definitely counts as a creature - with one in my grave, Golgari Grave-Troll was a 1/1. It could also be debugged into play (but died at eot).

So, everything works except 1) able to be turored for with Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor etc (common to all flash creatures) and 2) not castable without a target. Is there a way around 2) that isn't kinda hokey like the rules engine idea?
somacat

Postby Broolex » 24 Sep 2009, 00:36

monopoman wrote:Well I think if someone wants a card bad enough they should pay. I am happy to request cards I would like to see but will not cry about it when you don't make them.

But cards for hire would make some sense especially with the understanding that everyone gets it after its done. This would be a purely optional system and everyone has the rights to wait for the random cards of your choosing you add each time.
That's exactly what I've thought man... I really don't mind paying for a card that everyone will play with... Actually I'm kinda happy with the idea!

I don't know about the law implications of it, though.
Broolex

Postby stassy » 24 Sep 2009, 06:57

While trying to single duel the Dredge deck to test the AI abilities to auto play it, I got this crash :

http://rapidshare.com/files/284245776/AUTOSAVE.E1M.html

I suspect Ichorid return to play state to make this, as I randomly get a stuck/crash state early ingame when dueling several times against him.

It's too bad because he is managing quite well the others cards, on turn 3 he blasted me with a 6 zombie charge :mrgreen:
stassy

Postby estebanjose » 24 Sep 2009, 22:17

who play challenge mode?
i play and not unlook cards
no challenge mode [-X
and crash 2 the game...fuck!!!
i hate this mode and unlook cards
anythink save game whit all cards?
o other mode to unlook cards? [-o<
estebanjose

Postby Marek14 » 25 Sep 2009, 06:04

estebanjose wrote:who play challenge mode?
i play and not unlook cards
no challenge mode [-X
and crash 2 the game...fuck!!!
i hate this mode and unlook cards
anythink save game whit all cards?
o other mode to unlook cards? [-o<
I am sorry, but once you have looked at the cards, you can't unlook.
Marek14
Tester

Postby stassy » 25 Sep 2009, 06:58

Especially Jikki the party breaker...too bad he is legendary because the default image make him like a nun :mrgreen:
stassy

Postby aww1979 » 25 Sep 2009, 23:01

Salbei wrote:I am currently more concerned about the copyright of the artwork....Technicly the card/flavortext is still copyrighted aswell.
I always wondered why Mok or somebody got rid of that. I couldn't care less, and even if I were one of those artists I wouldn't care, but that doesn't mean someone might not have a fit because their name isn't on the artwork. What was the reason it got removed from manalink?
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Patches