It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:20

Text Size

[TESTED=bug]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Report wrong Card behavior to get it fixed.
PLEASE ADD SAVEGAMES TO YOUR TOPIC !

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[TESTED=bug]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby Korath » 25 Sep 2015, 02:15

Describe the Bug:
If you put a third Brothers Yamazaki on the battlefield, all of them die. (Even if the other player controls one or both of the others.)

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
FRF.

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
If there's three or more copies of Brothers Yamazaki on the battlefield (who controls them doesn't matter), each player controlling more than one has to put all but one of their copies in their graveyard as a state-based action.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
Well, not so much this bug, but related ones.
  1. They die even if there's a Mirror Gallery on the bf.
  2. The cards get sacrificed instead of being put into the graveyard, so e.g. Thraximundar gets counters.
  3. (Speaking of Thraximundar, his ability is mandatory; it should be optional.)
  4. Cards that can copy Brothers Yamazaki and keep their name. You should be able to copy a Brothers Yamazaki with e.g. Sakashima the Impostor, then play another Sakashima the Impostor copying something else, and have them both survive (at least until your opponent plays a third one). ... but that's pretty pathological. I'm not about to try to account for it.
Attachments
brothers-yamazaki.zip
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 20 Sep 2016, 03:57, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: retested-still bugged
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: [confirmed all but C]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby Aswan jaguar » 26 Sep 2015, 04:44

I confirm all except Thraximundar, his ability is optional,don't click on him and will not get counters.
Also about Sakashima the Impostor it doesn't keep his name regarding the legend rule,not having to do with Brothers Yamazaki specifically(not clean test though-was debugged)in a clean game Sakashima the Impostor legend rule works for others so it seems if it targets once Brothers Yamazaki then you can have him target anything else without triggering the legend rule.Sakashima the Impostor - Brothers Yamazaki works in normal conditions if you Maelstrom Pulse Sakashima the Impostor all get destroyed.

Also another bug for Brothers Yamazaki is that it gives the +2/+2 bonus and haste while the 2nd is on the stack.
2015-09-26_072614bro.jpg

edit: Also D if I have understand you correctly is working correctly.In a clean game I copied Brothers Yamazaki with Sakashima the Impostor then I cast another Sakashima the Impostor copying Lord of Atlantis and the legend rule applied.
2015-09-26_110408.jpg
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 26 Sep 2015, 08:09, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited for clean game results
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 05 Oct 2015, 05:24

C was because of Duh mode, yes.

The way the Sakashima interaction should work is that a Sakashima the Impostor copying a Brothers Yamazaki should have the following card text:
Bushido 1 (Some italicized text in parentheses that explains rules you already know.)
If there are exactly two permanents named Sakashima the Impostor on the battlefield, the "legend rule" doesn't apply to them.
Each other creature named Sakashima the Impostor gets +2/+2 and has haste.
{2} {U} {U}: Return Sakashima the Impostor to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.

So in your screenshot, with two copies of Brothers Yamazaki, a Sakashima the Impostor copying one of them, and another Sakashima the Impostor copying a Lord of Atlantis, you shouldn't have to put anything on the graveyard - there's exactly two permanents named Brothers Yamazaki and exactly two named Sakashima the Impostor, and it's not relevant that one of the Sakashimas doesn't have the ability that changes the legend rule.

....at least if I'm reading the comp rules correctly, which I'm no longer certain of.
201.4b | Open
201.4b If an ability of an object refers to that object by name, and an object with a different name gains that ability, each instance of the first name in the gained ability that refers to the first object by name should be treated as the second name.
Example: Quicksilver Elemental says, in part, " {U}: Quicksilver Elemental gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn." If it gains an ability that says " {G}: Regenerate Cudgel Troll," activating that ability will regenerate Quicksilver Elemental, not the Cudgel Troll it gained the ability from.
Example: Glacial Ray is an instant with "splice onto Arcane" that says "Glacial Ray deals 2 damage to target creature or player." If it's spliced onto a Kodama's Reach, that Kodama's Reach deals 2 damage to the target creature or player.
Example: Dimir Doppelganger says " {1} {U} {B}: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Dimir Doppelganger becomes a copy of that card and gains this ability." Dimir Doppelganger's ability is activated targeting a Runeclaw Bear card. The Doppelganger becomes a copy of Runeclaw Bear and gains an ability that should be treated as saying " {1} {U} {B}: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Runeclaw Bear becomes a copy of that card and gains this ability."

In any case, this isn't something I'd expect the program to get right. Sakashima the Impostor is a nightmare to deal with, even if you know it's coming eventually and plan for it from the start. As long as it lets you make a copy of one of your other legends, the way it was designed to do, then it's good enough as far as I'm concerned. Brothers Yamazaki using the old legend rule and not working with Mirror Gallery, on the other hand, break the primary functionality of those cards.

(edit: Apparently I can't count. I hadn't even run out of fingers yet.)
Last edited by Korath on 05 Oct 2015, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 05 Oct 2015, 06:23

Thanks for the info I didn't know what the comprehensive rules said about this case obviously.You are right.
If I get this right though in my screenshot I have only 1 Brothers Yamazaki, a Sakashima the Impostor copying Brothers Yamazaki but still is Sakashima the Impostor (keeps the name)and a Sakashima the Impostor copying Lord of Atlantis(still Sakashima the Impostor) so in fact I could play yet another Brothers Yamazaki,right?
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby BAgate » 05 Oct 2015, 19:58

Correct. There is only one Brothers Yamazaki on the bf so you can play another w/o sac'ing it.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Gargaroz » 11 Apr 2016, 14:04

Brother's code was still the same I made when I originally coded CoK, well before the change in Legend Rule, go figures.
Complete overhaul of the code using 'get_card_name' in e327411
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [still bugged]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby BAgate » 25 Aug 2016, 09:53

Legend Rule doesn't apply at all now.
BAgate
Tester

Re: [still bugged]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby Gargaroz » 19 Sep 2016, 17:33

It works for me, could you reproduce the bug and post a screenshot please?
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [TEST needed]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby BAgate » 19 Sep 2016, 23:27

Looks like my test didn't go far enough. Legends rule applies, but incorrectly. The exception only applies if there are exactly 2 on the bf (controller doesn't matter). So, if 3 enter the bf (either all controlled by one player or 1 controlled by 1 player and 2+ by another) then the exception doesn't apply and original legend rule does, so both players should then sacrifice down to 1 Brothers Yamazaki each, not 2. The exception is not a blanket extension of the legend rule to 2 permissible. Does that make sense?
BAgate
Tester

Re: [TEST needed]Brothers Yamazaki legend rule

Postby Korath » 20 Sep 2016, 00:28

(Ninja'd while I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my ImageMagick install, but I'll post it anyway:)

In dev, it's letting you keep two of them when the legend rule turns on:
  • Debug three copies of Brothers Yamazaki into hand
  • Cast each of them
  • After the third, you're prompted to "Special Legend Rule: selec a card named Brothers Yamazaki to keep (1 of 2)", then "Special Legend Rule: selec a card named Brothers Yamazaki to keep (2 of 2)"
When there's more than two on the battlefield, each player should only be able to keep at most one. Plus, irritating typo.

Also, if you debug a Brothers Yamazaki onto the AI's battlefield, then cast two of your own, again, the normal legend rule should kick in and each player should only be able to keep one. Instead, nothing's happening until a player controls three or more.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Return to Bug Reports