It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:10

Text Size

[still bugged]Commanders + death triggers

Report wrong Card behavior to get it fixed.
PLEASE ADD SAVEGAMES TO YOUR TOPIC !

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[still bugged]Commanders + death triggers

Postby Nexhro » 08 Mar 2014, 16:06

Describe the Bug:
When a commander dies, abilities that trigger whenever a creature dies work on a random basis. This means that sometimes the respective ability triggers and sometimes it doesn't.

I had a Goblin Sharpshooter equipped with Basilisk Collar which pinged the AI's commander and didn't untap when the latter died. Some turns later, when I equipped the Collar to Cunning Sparkmage and pinged the same commander (which had been recast by AI) with it, Sharpshooter untapped.

In another scenario (of which I attached a savegame,) I had a Hissing Iguanar in play and cast a Falkenrath Noble before killing AI's commander. Iguanar triggered, Noble didn't. Then one turn later, when AI had recast the commander and I killed it again, both triggered. I tested whether Falkenrath Noble might be bugged by putting a Birds of Paradise on the AI's side of the battlefield after casting Falkenrath Noble and killing that instead of the commander - both Iguanar and Noble triggered.

It should be mentioned that a commander returning to the command zone is a replacement for it being put into its owner's graveyard, so the mentioned abilities shouldn't trigger in the first place.
I have no clue whether that is codeable at all, though, and haven't tested if cards like Darksteel Colossus or Emrakul trigger said abilities, too.

Which card did behave improperly ?
Commanders when dying

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
BotG v2, duel

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
Either all abilities referring to creatures dying always trigger when a commander dies, or they never do.

Comprehensive rules regarding this, read as follows:
903.11. If a commander would be put into its owner‘s graveyard from anywhere, that player may put it into the command zone instead.
Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
Lots. For example Grave Pact, Stalking Vengeance, Gutter Grime, Proper Burial, Dross Harvester, Fecundity, Lifeline, Moonlit Wake, Soul Net, Pattern of Rebirth, Angelic Destiny etc.
Attachments
CmdrDeathTrigger1.zip
(5.8 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 12 Jul 2016, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: still bugged-placeholder
Nexhro

Re: Commanders + death triggers

Postby Gargaroz » 09 Jul 2014, 14:06

Fixed in f851fdf with an almost proper replacement effect.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [fixed]Commanders + death triggers

Postby Nexhro » 14 Sep 2014, 12:41

In CoRM15, a commander tha tdies still goes to the graveyard before being returned to command zone, if the "return to command zone" option is chosen.
Hence, cards like Stalking Vengeance and Gravepact still trigger off a dying commander.
Nexhro

Re: [still bugged]Commanders + death triggers

Postby HarlequinCasts » 20 Oct 2014, 16:47

Eldrazi commanders have a big problem with the fact that putting them in the command zone first sends them to the graveyard. Their shuffle into the library trigger seems to always happen when they die, so they always go into your library >.< (in practice this is only a problem for Kozilek, Butcher of Truth since Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre does not die very often.)

Been working on a colorless EDH deck and it is tons of fun aside from this...
HarlequinCasts

Return to Bug Reports