It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:36

Text Size

[waitlist]Copy Enchantment: copied auras die

Report wrong Card behavior to get it fixed.
PLEASE ADD SAVEGAMES TO YOUR TOPIC !

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[waitlist]Copy Enchantment: copied auras die

Postby Korath » 19 Mar 2014, 02:28

Bug:
When an aura card is selected for Copy Enchantment, the new enchantment appears briefly on the battlefield and then immediately goes to graveyard instead of selecting a permanent to enchant.

Version:
BNGv2 and dev/master.

How to reproduce:
  1. Debug a creature into play; I used Benalish Cavalry.
  2. Debug an aura into your hand; I used Divine Favor.
  3. Debug mana to cast the aura, and cast it on the creature.
  4. Debug a Copy Enchantment into your hand.
  5. Debug mana to cast the Copy Enchantment, and do so.
  6. Select the aura.
Proper behavior:
10/1/2005 If you choose an Aura, you also choose a legal permanent for the Copy Enchantment copy of it to enchant. Copy Enchantment doesn't target that permanent, however, so it can enter the battlefield attached to an untargetable creature.
10/1/2005 If you choose an Aura and there isn't a legal permanent for it to enchant, you put Copy Enchantment into your graveyard. It never enters the battlefield.

Discussion:
It should also not select an enchantment to copy until it's entering the battlefield, rather than as soon as you cast it; I've rewritten it to do that, though not yet committed.

It's especially weird when copying an attached bestow creature (I used Nyxborn Rollicker); it hangs around on the battlefield unattached in its aura form.

Probably this behavior should be part of the auras, rather than Copy Enchantment - Copy Artifact and Phyrexian Metamorph should do the same when copying an aura that's been turned into an artifact by Memnarch or Liquimetal Coating or Mycosynth Lattice or such, for example. Maybe handle in the same place EVENT_STATIC_EFFECTS gets dispatched (also where I plan to put the check for auras attached to something protected from them); but heck if I know how we can distinguish not-yet-attached auras from ones whose permanent has left play (before or after the aura resolves), or how to keep this from entering the battlefield at all as per the second ruling. At least, it'll probably be gone before enter-the-battlefield triggers can see it.
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 02 May 2016, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: waitlisted-reconfirmed
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: [confirmed]Copy Enchantment: copied auras die

Postby Gargaroz » 19 Mar 2014, 17:32

Working on it, but I encoutered a strange problem, please check in dev.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [confirmed]Copy Enchantment: copied auras die

Postby Korath » 20 Mar 2014, 12:38

Well, the reason why your attempt isn't working is because of a bug in cloning() (which I've fixed on my rewrite-everything-that-copies-another-card branch) that makes it ignore its third and fourth parameters and always just copy {player,card}'s targets[0]...

...but doing it this way isn't going to end up working anyway; it'll end up targeting the chosen card (e.g., killing Skulking Ghost and failing to attach to Blastoderm), and won't work when Copy Enchantment's choice is made at EVENT_RESOLVE_SPELL instead of EVENT_CAN_CAST. I doubt it'll work well with hybrid auras like Helm of the Ghastlord, either, nor anything else that does anything except pick a target in EVENT_CAN_CAST.

There's only a very limited number of "Enchant [x]" variants in the game, and we're going to need subtypes for all of them anyway so they can be made to fall off illegal targets; maybe just put this off until that's done.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Return to Bug Reports