It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:12

Text Size

A preview of things to come.

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

A preview of things to come.

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 03:11

Notice: PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNTIL I STATE IN ALL CAPS ON THE LAST RESERVED THREAD THAT IT'S OKAY TO BEGIN POSTING. I have multiple previews to upload. Thanks in advance!

Okay, I'll provide detailed information concerning this Mod @ a later time. To start off let me state that the overall mod will feature themes and aspects from both the Marvel Universe and the DC Universe. Other comic universes such as Dark Horse, Image, and Valiant will be added later according to feedback.

Here are the five promotional cards from the Marvel Universe:

Captain America, Broken Ideals.png
Captain America, Broken Ideals

Design Theory: Instead of the typical design one would expect to see concerning a card like Captain America in the game of Magic: The Gathering, such as "All soldier creatures you control have +1/+1" I instead opted to take a divergent path and decided to design him according to a slow form of suicide. Yet, in doing so I still wanted to show that he is still very formidable even in his declining state. Thus, the powerful EBT effect. I still think he should have Exalted and First Strike though so I may add them to his arsenal to demonstrate that he can not only lead a team through the use of Battle Cry but he can also fight alone effectively through First Strike and Exalted.

However, not shown here is Captain America's Shield. This Legendary Artifact equipment is Indestructible, gives him +3/+6, Reach, the ability to block any number of creatures and all damage that would be dealt to you may be dealt to Captain America instead. But most prominently he can "Throw" his shield to "Choose one - Deal 9 damage to a creature; or deal 4 damage to a creature and each creature that shares a color with it; or tap all creatures your opponent control." Perhaps he should have a ETB effect that searches your library for his shield and place it in your hand. An additional passive bonus the shield provides is that it counteracts the -2/-2 counters placed on him by increasing his Toughness. Thus he can maintain a longer battlefield presence with it equipped while continuing to put out some serious damage. Lastly, here is an interesting fact: With his shield equipped Captain America's P/T becomes 9/11 (get it?).

Gambit Complete Card Control.png
Gambit, Complete Card Control

Leper Queen, Prisoners of War.png
Leper Queen, Prisoners of War

Omega Sentinel, Prime Tech.jpg
Omega Sentinel, Prime Tech.

Stryfe, Strategic Standpoint.jpg
Stryfe, Strategic Standpoint

The DC Universe has been implemented also but its five promotional cards will be showcased after reserving a few slots. The DCU card Braniac 13 is, in my opinion, very overpowered even when compared to the already outrageous cards displayed here.

Remember, everything concerning this mod is preliminary and subject to change. Nothing pertaining to balance has been considered at this point because this was just a personal mod for my brother and I to implement according to some of our favorite characters. Therefore, the main aspect that will need tweaking when we reveal the entirety of the set we currently have is balance and interactivity. Remember, your feedback is vital. It will help to further expedite the process and push this mod to be release as DLC faster.

Marvel has 38 completed cards so far.
DC has 21 completed cards so far.

I'm not sure why the flavor text is missing from Gambit and Omega Sentinel. I've never had this problem before. If someone would like to take a look @ their XML files let me know and I'll provide the codes here.

Design Theories will be added beneath the pictures later.

What characters, , locations, items, themes, etc would you recommend from the MU and DCU?
Last edited by Kieran on 15 Sep 2013, 01:08, edited 20 times in total.
Kieran

Re: A preview of things to come.

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 03:21

Here is the way I expected the cards to appear before I ported them into the game. I actually like the border colors this way but the game turned every multi-colored card gold. I especially like the border on the Captain America card. Is there a way to implement the cards using the border below?

Captain America Broken Ideals.jpg
Captain America, Broken Ideals

Gambit Complete Card Control.jpg
Gambit Complete, Card Control

Leper Queen Prisoners of War.jpg
Leper Queen, Prisoners of War

Omega Sentinel Prime Tech..jpg
Omega Sentinel, Prime Tech.

Stryfe Strategic Standpoint.jpg
Stryfe, Strategic Standpoint
Last edited by Kieran on 05 Jul 2013, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 03:21

Reserve for DC.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 03:22

Reserve just in case.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 03:22

Again, reserve just in case.

Okay, let the CRITICISM, SUGGESTIONS, DISCUSSIONS, ETC BEGIN. And even if public interest isn't enough to turn this private mod into a public DLC I'm still glad I shared the concept. Thanks for everything!
Last edited by Kieran on 26 Aug 2013, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran

Postby RiiakShiNal » 05 Jul 2013, 04:22

Kieran wrote:I'm not sure why the flavor text is missing from Gambit and Omega Sentinel. I've never had this problem before. If someone would like to take a look @ their XML files let me know and I'll provide the codes here.
The flavour text will not appear on cards with lots of rule text, this is a part of the DotP engine and there is nothing we can do about it.

Kieran wrote:Here is they way I expected the cards to appear before I ported them into the game. I actually like the border colors this way but the game turned every multi-colored card gold. I especially like the border on the Captain America card. Is there a way to implement the cards using the border below?
No, we have no real control over the card border. One color of border fading into another is reserved for cards with hybrid mana, and even then it only works for 2 colors. If a card has 3 or more colors you are guaranteed to get the gold frame. On Gambit, if you wanted a black/red frame you could change the casting cost to "{8}{B/R}{B/R}", but there is no way to get the red/white/blue frame, the black/red/artifact frame, or the blue/black/red frame that you wanted.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Kieran » 05 Jul 2013, 04:42

That's unfortunate. I thought the border would be a simple image template I could easily edit. Oh well, is the same true of 2014? Is that limitation there also. This mod was planned to be released for 2014 but the development stages have all been through the 2013 engine. Also, I'm about to experiment with the Gambit card using the casting cost you suggested. At least some of the two-cost mana cards will have different borders.

Edit 1: Here is the result of your suggestion Riiak ShiNal. And I like it. At least the majority of every card won't be gold for 2013. I'm awaiting an answer concerning 2014.

Edit 2: If possible, here are some of the card concept I want to 'cipher' when Gambit activates a corresponding power from his 'Character' card. Everything is alpha and subject to change.
Gambit, Complete Card Control - Hybrid Mana Symbols.jpg
Gambit, Complete Card Control - Hybrid Mana Symbols
Gambit, Death Persona.jpg
Gambit, Death Persona
Gambit, Kinetic Cards.jpg
Gambit, Kinetic Cards - I really dislike how the game makes the cards glow like that sometime. How do I disable that flowing glow?
Gambit, Royal Flush.jpg
Gambit, Royal Flush
Gambit, Bo Staff.jpg
Gambit, Bo Staff
Last edited by Kieran on 26 Aug 2013, 20:07, edited 6 times in total.
Kieran

Postby RiiakShiNal » 05 Jul 2013, 11:36

The same is pretty much true for 2014, the only difference is that on 2014 we can have a slightly different border for single colour "Miracle" cards by using the <FRAME_TYPE type="miracle" /> tag (we originally thought it was going to give us control over the frame again, but it only works for "miracle").
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Kieran » 23 Aug 2013, 08:57

Here are a few more previews of the Marvel Mod. My brother said that the DCU preview will begin this weekend but I decided to go ahead and showcase some of the preliminary cards that are available for Marvel.

Multiple Man, One-Man-Army.jpg
Multiple Man, One-Man-Army

Design Theory: What makes Multiple Man so special? Well, if allowed to remain on the field, Jamie can easily become a One-Man-Army and produce an army that generates more creature to swell the existing army. Lol!

Edit: I forgot to include Jamie's resurrection ability on his card. His power allows him to default to any Madri token he has produce in the event of his death so his resurrection ability with allow him to return from the graveyard by sacrificing one. This ability can only be played from the grave.

Spider-Man, Wallcrawler.jpg
Spider-Man, Wallcrawler

Design Theory: The amazing Spider-Man is perhaps the greatest Ally you can have. He is loaded with feats that revolve around rescue, detaining, and damage prevention. With his Great Power ability Peter can look at the top card of your library and play an Ally or Citizen card for free. This simulates Spider-Man's capacity to somehow always attract allies and being the inspiration he is causes him to passively increase the power and toughness of average Citizen creatures such as Moira MacTaggert while also boosting the same for Ally creatures such as Maria Hill, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. With his Spider Sense he can prevent damage to you and each permanent you control or if that's not necessary he can force an opponent to reveal their hand thus giving you a unique strategic opportunity to view possible board wipes and other devastating cards. Accordingly, if things look gloomy for you after using Spider Sense, you can use his Great Responsibility feat to exile all creatures you control and return them to the battlefield at your next upkeep with haste if your opponent(s) decide to trigger a mass destruction event.

I actually found it funny to see his Wall Crawler ability after I implemented it but I suppose it will be useful in some ways. Peter gains protection from walls because he is known to go over, through, and under walls. I do know that Barbican of the Neo can erect walls and use them both offensively and defensively so that is just one example of when this capacity can be relevant.

What more can I say? Spider-Man is renown as a Web Slinger. When you activate this ability tap two target permanents and place a vanishing web counter on them. Creatures with web counters on them can't attack or block. Also, those creatures don't untap during their next untap step because it takes a little time for his opponents to break free from his webbing.

On the surface Spider-Man looks as though he's a 4/5 power and toughness but when he enters the battlefield he becomes a 6/7 thanks to his innate ability.

At first I accidentally snapped a screenshot with Dr. Strange's Eye of Agamotto card next to Silver Surfer, Herald of Galactus and the idea came to me that I may as well showcase two cards this way or possibly three. Of course, Apocalypse is unfinished but I thought it was still a cool idea to include a preview of his card. Expect to see Bishop, Deadpool, Fantomex, Selene, and Storm a some time this evening. It's getting late here but I will say that Deadpool's Distracting Chatter ability will probably drive you crazy! Lol! Thanks to Tejahn for these five spoilers (except for Spider-Man which I designed).
Also, I would like to use some hybrid-mana symbols in various abilities but they end up distorted in-game for some reason. Can someone give me a preview of the code for them to show up on abilities and not as part of the casting cost?

Edit: After testing I noticed that after 15 lines of text the letters become very thin as evidence from the Selene, Black Queen of Necrosha card. A good example of a card already spoiled unlike this is Leper Queen, Prisoners of War. If you count the lines (including the empty spaces) of Leper Queen's card you will see that she only has 12 lines of text and they are bulky and easily readable. I'll clean up these design theories later. It's 4:00 in the morning.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 26 Aug 2013, 19:59

Rogue, Mutant Gestalt.jpg
Rogue, Mutant Gestalt
Captain America's Shield.jpg
Captain America's Shield

Edit: I added some of Gambit's powers above this post. Also, I had to assign colors to the different 'Powers' cards because leaving the colorless distorted the art by stretching it and making the card semi-transparent.

Quick question: Is there a way to make activated abilities appear on a card with the scroll bar using the invisible token method, the TFM's testing facilities method or something similar? Or would they have to be invisible enchantments auras that attach to the cards as they enter the battlefield?

I'm inquiring because I want abilities to make the various powers and feats accessible on cards as they become available (similar to what Slivers do but individualize and following the rules outlined on the cards.). Also, using this method will help thinning a lot of text on the cards.

Juggernaut, Unstoppable Force.jpg
Juggernaut, Unstoppable Force

For example, directly above is the card Juggernaut, Unstoppable Force. Can such an invisible card be used to grant him the various abilities in terms of engine limitations such as if a card will only grant two or three abilities at any time? He obviously has more than two so that's why I'm asking.

Also, I'm not sure if TFM is the one who coded the Cipher cards I used for 2013 but I remember that after the damage was dealt the ability would trigger and the card that had been ciphered (attached) would re-enter the battlefield and be cast again for no cost. This is the card reappearance effect I want happen with there activated abilities so I was wondering if this is possible to do in 2014. Instead of the 'triggered when damage is dealt' effect I want a 'triggered when activated' effect. My aim is to provide a more vivid visual experience when abilities are used instead of the simple tap and remove something formula.

Sabretooth, Stalk and Strike.jpg
Sabretooth, Stalk and Strike

For example (directly above) when Sabretooth activates his Stalk and Strike ability I would like for this card to come to the field as if it were 'ciphered'.

Lastly, if any of this can be done can someone provide a working code or at least give some insight about possible methods? And RSN you mentioned a type of miracle card border. How do I go about having cards appear with that border? You said that we can use this code

<FRAME_TYPE type="miracle" />

to give us the border but where do I place this code in the block of a card?
Kieran

Postby RiiakShiNal » 27 Aug 2013, 14:57

Kieran wrote:Quick question: Is there a way to make activated abilities appear on a card with the scroll bar using the invisible token method, the TFM's testing facilities method or something similar? Or would they have to be invisible enchantments auras that attach to the cards as they enter the battlefield?
I explained in a different thread exactly how to give cards a scroll bar. It can be done with invisible tokens, but it is much simpler and better to simply put them on the card(s) you want them on. Simply grant the abilities to the card at the appropriate time(s). For creatures and enchantments this would be while they are in play, for abilities like cycling when the card is in your hand, etc....

Kieran wrote:And RSN you mentioned a type of miracle card border. How do I go about having cards appear with that border? You said that we can use this code

<FRAME_TYPE type="miracle" />

to give us the border but where do I place this code in the block of a card?
You can put that block anywhere inside the CARD_V2 block to give a mono-colour card the miracle border. Any value other than "miracle" is ignored for that block. It does not seem to work with multi-coloured cards. It is unknown whether it will work for artifacts (coloured or otherwise) or colourless cards.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Kieran » 27 Aug 2013, 19:58

Thanks RiiakShiNal. I actually already started using / decided to use the scroll bar in the way you recommended as far as abilities are concerned. I thought I edited and deleted that part. Also, I'll go ahead and test the miracle border.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 03 Oct 2013, 06:09

CREATURE
Wolvie1.jpg
I decided to go with X-Force-led Wolverine because I think it builds upon his previously established mythos and depicts all aspects of his character well. I'm always asked my thoughts on Batman versus Wolverine so I decided to show them together. When I let my brother see the preview I was planning on displaying he claimed that Batman's P/T should be on a par with Wolverine's and I thought, yes, at the core they shouldn't have too much separation, but once Wolvie Snikt's his claws there should be a notable difference. Yet, in the end I think Batman would win because he can Escape if Wolverine causes to much damage and he inherently possesses the capacity to detain Logan which is one of the few ways to defeat Wolverine as far as this mod is concerned. Either way, I think it would be an epic battle.

ABILITY
Wolvie3.jpg
Although the game is showing this card as an Instant, it's suppose to say Ability on this card. Can someone give me a tutorial on how to add Super Types, Sub Types, etc. so I can make this card appear as an Ability instead of an Instant? Also, when I update the opening thread of this topic I'll explain in detail the various type of cards that will be featured in this mod.

POWER
Wolvie2.jpg
This card represents Wolverines Healing Factor and it's suppose to be labeled as a Power instead of an Instant. Notice that this 'Power' says 'Active' so you don't have to activate it. As far as Feats and Powers are concerned though, I'm not sure if I should make them into Auras pre-attached (if possible) to creatures or something else entirely. But I do want to provide a more visual representation of the various Abilities, Aspects, Feats, and Powers. Any suggestions on ways to implement this would be appreciated. Also, Darlseid's Merciless Attack is a great way to 'deal with' Wolverine because Darkseid is designed to circumvent creatures and opponents. Notice that his Ability doesn't 'target'.

FEAT
Wolvie4.jpg
Make no mistake, Wolverine is designed to be a killing machine able to dish out extreme damage and take loads of punishment while killing multiple enemies at the same time. At first he was more dispatch 'non-flying creatures' focused, but we later revamped the notion because Wolverine is known for 'closing the gap' against flying opponents. And although killing mass amounts of creatures is the core of his Design Theory, Logan's compassionate side is depicted on cards like Protect Teammates (not shown here). Accordingly, there are a few more Abilities, Aspects, Feats, and Powers not listed here. All creatures will have an arsenal of capabilities. This is one of Wolverines two known 'Ultimate Attacks'. The other is called Merciless Retaliation.

ASPECT
Wolvie5.jpg
This is an Aspect of Wolverine that is also 'active' and will ensure he can't be sacrificed or otherwise killed. It's there to reinforce him being Indestructible. The obvious ways to 'take care' of Logan is to remove him from the battlefield through exile or detain him until he's a non-factor. Also, if you were thinking to give him Hexproof to have an unstoppable killing machine think again. There is another Aspect card called Wolverine, Psionic Resistance that prevents him from being targeted by blue or becoming Hexproof. However, there are other ways to accomplish this but I won't disclose it right now. Hmmm...

Pazyryk wrote: Is this project still alive? I'm asking because it's no activity and I want to see a card of Wolverine.
Yes Pazyryk, the mod is still in full development and progress is being made. In the meantime, I've been a bit preoccupied with RL and trying to give back to the community by creating requested decks and coding cards when able. As for your request asking if I can show what we currently have for Wolverine the answer is yes. Above I've posted his Creature card and a different Ability, Aspect, Feat, and Power pertaining to him. Below I'll list a few more card types and sub types pertaining to them if applicable. I hope you like what we have for Wolverine so far and I encourage you to give feedback about your favorite character(s) if you have any. We decided to revamp a lot of cards and focus on completing teams first instead of random characters. For example, I've finished (but not finalized) the Fantastic Four. This includes their complete Abilities, Aspects, Feats, and Powers. I hope this approach hurries us to the public testing phase of the mod. I've also, as you can see, used Wolverine as an example to show various different types of cards that comprise this mod.

CARD TYPES

ABILITY
ARTIFACT
ASPECT
CREATURE
EVENT
EQUIPMENT
FEAT
LAND - Land cards will have sub categories called Environments (such as Deep Space) and Locations (such as the Source Wall or Xavier's Institute For Higher Learning).
ROMANTIC MOMENT
TEAM
TEAMMATE
TEAMWORK
VERSUS

Expect me to update this topic over the coming weeks. Also, I'm currently thinking about adding Animated Illustrations (if possible) to cards similar to the effects in this YouTube video:Amazing 2D to 3D Photo Effects
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 03 Nov 2013, 11:42

Blink, Shatterbreak Shards Animation.gif
This is the full animation I created before I converted the image to .bik format and moved it in-game. This preview is the same size as all official art. The name of this attack is Shatterbreak Shards!
Blink, Shatterbreak Shards.jpg
In-game paused screenshot of this particular Power.

Directly above is the full motion video I made to display the animation in-game. Go ahead and press play to see it live. Available below this post in the next thread you can download the video file and watch it in your Media Player. It has more clarity because uploading it to YouTube somehow reduced the quality. :?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Tejahn, as you can see, I managed to implement some Animated Cards but I'll only showcase this one of Blink. I created a distorted wave effect due to her displacement powers and I added rain to the animation to showcase weather. Admittedly, I forgot to add a few particle effects I thought were cool but I think this can suffice for now. I'll make the duration 7 to 11 seconds long before releasing the Beta version of this mod. As always, this isn't the final product so it's subject to change.

Edit - @Tejahn: Why just message me your suggestions? Lol! I may use your recommendation and make the rain fall extremely slow to depict how fast she moved. That's a great idea! Also, below is my preliminary idea for Creatures like Blink, Nightcrawler, and Warp with Teleportation powers contrasted against those with Super Speed such as Black Flash, Inertia, and Quicksilver. First, I'll give my thoughts on Teleportation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TELEPORTATION - In this particular mod, individuals with the capacity to teleport are able to act, move, and react at possibly the fastest speeds. As such, when you begin the game with a Creature that can Teleport in your Hand or Library you will be prompted to optionally move any number of them to any, yet ONLY ONE, of the six Zones if that's your choice. Such actions will cause varying effects and produce different results depending on which Creature is making the transition. This notion applies to other Card Types as well, such as Artifacts with said capability.

In some cases this can be extremely beneficial because if an opponent plays a powerful card Magik, for example, can use her Stepping Disc to come in on the Stack and counteract that Card before it resolves whilst she enters the battlefield as a result. The major upside to this particular 'Power' is that it can obviously be done during your opponents turn but the true advantage is that 'Stepping Disc' can be done from your Hand or Library for free as long as your opponent has a Card on the Stack.

Yet, Illyana's teleportation power is not just used for counteracting detrimental cards although that is a great aspect of its capability. Different teleporters have different aspects of how their 'Power' is applied, displayed, and represented. At certain junctures they can enter or exit any of the six Zones (Battlefield, Exile, Graveyard, Hand, Library, or Stack) and react instantly to block, cause, or prevent a action. As such, I think they all should have a 'may clause' stating that any of them inherently possess one or a combination of the following:

'At the beginning or end of each upkeep,
'At the beginning or end of every end step',
'Before blockers are declared'
'During your combat phase'
'During your blocking phase'
etc... (I'll update this with more clauses eventually but I think everyone gets the gist of what I mean)

Accordingly, they should always have an option to move into a Zone or exit one. Lastly, teleporters have good synergy with 'Team' cards because as long as you control a teleporter you can play 'Team' cards for the teleportation cost of a Creature on the battlefield you control instead of paying the cost of the 'Team' card itself.

SUPER SPEED - The beings with Super Speed will have a 'may clause' that permits you to alternatively play them for no cost if they are in your opening Hand. While doing so, they can enter the battlefield with Haste at your discretion. However, this is not always a good option because some individuals such as Black Flash can selectively destroy any number of Creatures that enter the battlefield with Haste or he can outright destroy Creatures with Haste if he deals combat damage to them. He can also optionally cause any Creatures with Haste to enter the battlefield tapped and force them to remain tapped until he is removed if destroying them is not in your best interest at that moment. Thus, I think it's important to have a choice as to whether your Super Speed Creatures enter the battlefield with Haste or not.

The difference, as implemented in this mod, between individuals with Super Speed and those with Teleportation is that whereas Teleporters have what I call 'Extreme Speed' and can go to any zone under certain conditions, the beings with Super Speed are limited to three Zones. They are proficient at entering and escaping only the following:

Battlefield - From the battlefield they can return to your hand or the bottom of your Library.

Hand - From your Hand they can enter the battlefield alternatively for no cost with Haste optionally.

Library - From your Library the can enter your Hand at the beginning of your upkeep or end step.

For example, Northstar, like most Creatures in this mod with Super Speed, has an ETB effect. His 'enter the battlefield' effect' is to Soulbond with his sister Aurora when either enters the battlefield whilst one is already present. Thus they cause a blinding flash of light that taps two target Creatures a single opponent control. This is fortuitous under most circumstances because they will both still be able to attack during your combat phase and the number of defenders your opponent had to block with is reduced by two. They clear a path for themselves to attack so to speak. And they both have Flying. :D

I'll think of other ways to integrate these two 'Powers' as we test the mod but this is what I have as a blueprint so far. Tell me what you think.
Last edited by Kieran on 03 Nov 2013, 16:58, edited 8 times in total.
Kieran

Postby Kieran » 03 Nov 2013, 11:49

Blink - Avoid damage.jpg
She destroys, exiles, or return to target player's hand a noncreature, nonland permanent.
Teleport Team.jpg
Clarice teleports her team away.
Blink - Avoid damage 3.jpg
She avoids damage.
Coven Attack.jpg
Blink appears with her teammates and destroy two creatures.
Attachments
Blink, Shatterbreak Shards Animation.zip
This is the video file you can use to view in your Media Player. The quality of the video was greatly reduced when uploaded to Youtube but this version is a higher quality and resolution.
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 473 times
Kieran

Next

Return to Custom Releases