It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:24

Text Size

Manalink update 25 March 2015: Fate Reforged

The latest Manalink updates are posted here.
PLEASE DO NOT BUMP OLD UPDATES!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink update 25 March 2015: Fate Reforged

Postby Aswan jaguar » 12 Apr 2015, 14:29

There always 2 updates 1 with the code and 1 with cardart.
The first link in the top post should be the code one always:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6a86j ... 325-FR.rar
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 12 Apr 2015, 17:23

This seems to come up over and over again, and it really highlights the need for someone to pitch in with some basic release engineering. It's not difficult, just a bit boring and time consuming to do manually (perhaps a couple hours with every patch).

Ideally, it should be almost completely automateable, but every time I touch the build process it seems to break Gargaroz' environment.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 12 Apr 2015, 18:18

Would a installshield work st all. I might be able to figure out something. I can't promise anything since I never really done anything like it but it should be not to difficult.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Javatar » 12 Apr 2015, 20:08

Hi, I pasted the 2 updated in the folder with the game but now I have the error (0xc00005). Do I have to doing any else?.
Javatar

Postby dingbat1 » 12 Apr 2015, 21:45

gmzombie wrote:Would a installshield work st all. I might be able to figure out something. I can't promise anything since I never really done anything like it but it should be not to difficult.
Or just post both links side by side (or compiled into one RAR).
It really isn't that complicated, but there's a wall of text in the opening post that you need to sift through, that not everyone reads. Here's my stab at amending the post:

Here is the Fate Reforged Patch.
This adds Fate Reforged cards and a long list of bug fixes (see attached changelog).
Thanks to Korath, Sonic, Foolosopher, Aswan Jaguar, Stassy and all the others Bug Hunters.

Part 1 (data Files): http://www.mediafire.com/download/6a86j ... 325-FR.rar
Part 2 (Card Art): http://www.mediafire.com/download/37iqa ... ch2015.zip

This includes alternative artwork for:

Bear (Token)
Goblin (Token)
Snake (Token)
Spirit (Token) x2
Vampire (Token)
Warrior (Token)

----------------------------------------------------

Due to program limitations, you cannot use activated abilities during combat unless you follow these steps:
1 - The first time you load the game and play the first duel as soon as the duel begins you have to put a STOP to BOTH attack phases (so that will give you the chance to put stops "fast effects assign attackers" and "fast effects assign blockers") as it will open the attack phase menu when you come to that step.
2 - Then as soon as you put the stops in the fast effects you can remove the stop from the attack phases so it doesn't stop there if there are no creatures to attack,for players attack phase this works great for AI's phase it will not stop on "fast effects assign attackers" step though only to "fast effects assign blockers".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please Note: The main ‘2012_CardArtManalink’ archive has been recompiled to include replacement artwork and the separate 2014 card art update archives are now recompiled into a single archive with the 2012/13 releases. Please download these archives if you have not done so previously:

‘CardArtManalink_2012.zip’ (Main Folder / Artwork) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhis2 ... k_2012.zip
‘CardArtUpdates_2012_2014.zip’ (Compiled 2012-14 Card Art Updates) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/btxf2 ... 2_2014.zip

Delete your currently installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder and replace it with the folder in the CardArtManalink_2012 archive. Then copy the artwork from the CardArtUpdates_2012_2014, and the current release into the newly installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder.

Updated number of image files in the CardArtManalink folder: 14076

If your current CardArtShandalar folder is older than the March 2012 release, please delete it and install this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?u6h5by3b9fbf8cf
The folder for the March release contains images with corrected file names, copying the new files into an old CardArtShandalar folder will not overwrite the incorrectly named files.

Number of images image files in the CardArtShandalar folder: 1259
dingbat1

Postby BAgate » 12 Apr 2015, 22:00

I second dingbat1's new format.

Also, we should probably have a patches faq or tutorial at the top (seeing as how someone asks every patch). And the Patch index could use updating.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby dingbat1 » 13 Apr 2015, 12:00

I didn't even try tackling the last bit, either (the part talking about getting from 2012 build to 2014), but I don't think that should be in every post. Either (1) someone's up to date, and doesn't need it; (2) they're new, in which case they should go to the install page/links, which I believe includes these instructions; or (3) they've got an old install, in which case a one-line reminder should suffice.

I mean, if I can figure this out, then it isn't exactly rocket science
dingbat1

Postby gmzombie » 13 Apr 2015, 14:35

Yea I still think there needs to be a install for newbies lIle how the old iso was manakink 2012. I'm sure it could be updated or just a simple program like xmage uses to check for updates.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Sonic » 14 Apr 2015, 03:51

dingbat1 wrote:Please Note: The main ‘2012_CardArtManalink’ archive has been recompiled to include replacement artwork and the separate 2014 card art update archives are now recompiled into a single archive with the 2012/13 releases. Please download these archives if you have not done so previously:

‘CardArtManalink_2012.zip’ (Main Folder / Artwork) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhis2 ... k_2012.zip
‘CardArtUpdates_2012_2014.zip’ (Compiled 2012-14 Card Art Updates) – http://www.mediafire.com/download/btxf2 ... 2_2014.zip

Delete your currently installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder and replace it with the folder in the CardArtManalink_2012 archive. Then copy the artwork from the CardArtUpdates_2012_2014, and the current release into the newly installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder.

Updated number of image files in the CardArtManalink folder: 14076
Sorry, but I'd suggest you read the post again - the part marked in red is somewhat misleading and is not what was posted in the instructions in the original post:

The important bit in the original post is where it reads:

If you are downloading Manalink 3.0 for the first time, or your currently installed ‘CardArtManalink’ folder is older than the March 2015 release, please download and install the folder and files in the following archives:

I've just checked the download figures for the new archives and it seems many may have missed the point. Put simply - If your CardArtManalink’ folder is older than the March 2015 release you need to scrap it and install the one in the new archives. Your old card art folder is now redundant... loose it. :-"
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby BAgate » 14 Apr 2015, 04:31

Are you sure that March 2015 date is correct? I thought it was 2014 as this last update didn't change the folder.

But I think what we are getting at is that the current patch instructions are inadequate/confusing and need to be reworked.

So, my solution.
1) We need to create a new base install that is updated to the current patch.

2) We loose the instructions on updating the cardart folder and instruct people with installations from before 2015 to reinstall with that new base install.

3) We create a separate pinned post with the original instructions for updating the card art folder if anyone really doesn't want to reinstall.

4) Limit the download links to just what is necessary for THAT patch, i.e. 1 set of program files and 1 set of artwork. And a changelog.

5) Once a new format is settled on we post an instructions/faq for patching the game in the announcement section of the Patches folder.
BAgate
Tester

Postby stassy » 14 Apr 2015, 11:03

Another big issue is the host, Korath Theros install is 800+ Mo already...
stassy

Postby Sonic » 14 Apr 2015, 16:01

BAgate wrote:Are you sure that March 2015 date is correct? I thought it was 2014 as this last update didn't change the folder.

But I think what we are getting at is that the current patch instructions are inadequate/confusing and need to be reworked.
What needs to be reworked is people RTFI... :lol:

Yes, I am sure that March date is correct. And yes, the last update did change the folder. If you look at the named year/s of the compiled releases contained in the two main archives its shown at the end of the archives file name - last year it was shown at the beginning.

But that's irrelevant. The instructions clearly state you need to replace your old CardArtManalink folder with the release of the March update... and here's why.

Over the year some of the artwork in the main archives tends to get updated or replaced - as we did last year with all the land card artwork, and to make a correction to the orientation of the flip cards artwork. Also, due to the fact that we can't always get hold of any HQ artwork for the new cards at the time a patch is released, some of the card art archives will still contain LQ card artwork which was replaced in a later patch card art archive.

The main problem always has been that the card art archives have to be installed in order of release for the redundant artwork files to be correctly overwritten. So every year I recompile both the main and the separate card archives released during the previous year into new archives which have had all the redundant artwork removed. This should make it a lot easier for the newbies, and those who have missed previous updates, as they don't have to download a whole bunch of single archive which contain redundant artwork.

Whilst I will accept that for many frequenting this forum English isn't a first language. As long as people read the instructions, or post queries if they don't understand said instructions, it should be a simple case of deleting their old 'CardArtManalink' folder and installing the new one included in the archives.

I think I should mention though. Gargaroz, can you remove the "and the usual Sonic corner:" from the line of text in the first post before the data patch link.
I think this is causing a few problems for people who aren't familiar with inner sanctum of Sonic's mysterious corner. :wink:
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby BAgate » 15 Apr 2015, 00:32

My bad. But that proves my point. That section has been included with every patch release and the change was so minor my eyes went right over it. If we can remove instructions that apply to a small subset of users to another post and just include what is necessary for that patch it will make things much simpler.
BAgate
Tester

Postby Sonic » 15 Apr 2015, 01:53

BAgate wrote:My bad. But that proves my point. That section has been included with every patch release and the change was so minor my eyes went right over it. If we can remove instructions that apply to a small subset of users to another post and just include what is necessary for that patch it will make things much simpler.
But then you simply create the alternative problem of people having to visit more than one thread to find all the information they need to install a patch. You may have previously downloaded the archives, but anybody new or missing a patch may have not.

But to be honest, you're still making excuses for people not reading the instructions. It doesn't really matter how much you rearrange the instructions as long as they are correct. Because no matter how you try: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. ](*,)
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby BAgate » 15 Apr 2015, 03:19

True, but there is psychology involved. If you have the same text over and over patch after patch and then change it a little most people will not notice the change and just skip over it (why proofreading your own work is of limited value). Personally, after a half dozen patches where that big block of text said change the artwork if your folder is older then X I assumed that is what it would always say and just skipped it, thus not noticing when it eventually changed to if your folder is older than Y.

If you limit what is included in each patch to just what is needed for that patch then it is simple and error proof for those who update patch by patch. Then you can have a 'catch up' thread (linked in the patch post) for those who have skipped some. And considering there will be less text to read overall there is a greater likelihood that such instructions will get read.

Ultimately it is on the user to read instructions and follow them. But given that a long time user like me got fooled by the artwork change, and we have questions from less experienced users on literally every patch I don't think it unreasonable to conclude that what we are doing can be improved.
BAgate
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Patches