It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:23

Text Size

Bandwidth problems

by Goblin Hero

Moderators: Goblin Hero, CCGHQ Admins

Bandwidth problems

Postby Goblin Hero » 19 Dec 2005, 07:50

Hosting of pictures is temporary closed until the next month due to bandwidth problems.

If you like my site and it's content you may help. There's two ways to solve traffic problems:
1. I'm looking for mirrors. Mirror should have >1GB place.
2. I'm gladly accept any kind of donations. Additional traffic costs money :(
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby twinkiman » 09 Feb 2006, 04:55

How do I go about setting my computer up as a server for MWSPA?
twinkiman

Postby Goblin Hero » 09 Feb 2006, 16:32

twinkiman wrote:How do I go about setting my computer up as a server for MWSPA?
Wait a moment. I'll make an instruction and post it here.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby greylander » 10 Feb 2006, 05:14

Hello,

I'm new. MWSPA is a great tool... but given bandwidth issues, has anyone considered just using bittorrent? The Bittorrent protocol was made to relieve bandwidth problems. Not only that, but used properly it will only download the files that you don't have (and should replace any that have changed). The only issue I see is if if you want to update/add pictures on an ongoing basis (day to day, minute by minute). But by doing updates on something like a weekly basis, it should be fine.

I'd be happy to help set this up. If I can get a complete or nearly complete set of card pics, I'll seed the first torrent.

For anyone out there who hasn't yet used bittorrent, I highly recommend it for file-sharing in general. In particular, try the client software "Asureus"

Cheers,
Greylander
greylander

Postby deathscythe_h » 16 Feb 2006, 01:18

we tried that on mwsdata.com, it worked, but then it seemed that the demand for it died off or something.
deathscythe_h

Postby greylander » 16 Feb 2006, 21:44

might be worth trying again... if goblin hero's site is needing a terrabyte per month to handle the download with mwspa, there much be alot of people out there down loading.

Torrents tend to last as long as there is interest and people know it exists (who have some kind of bittorrent client and know how to use it).

To make card image torrents work, we need to get the word out and also perhaps educate people a little on bittorrent.

=================
In the interest of educating the magic workstation community... Here's a quick intro to bittorrent for anyone who came here because they couldn't download using MWSPA and followed the link for "more information", and also has heard of, or just hasn't gotten around to trying out bittorrent.

Bittorrent is a file sharing protocol, but quite different from many others you might be familiar with (like Gnutella style file sharing). Everyone participating in the "torrent" shares the load of uploading/dwnloding. This make downloads much faster, and avoids bandwidth bottlenecks such as GoblinHero is experiencing with MWSPA.

Here's the steps to get started using bittorrent:

1) download and install a good client. I recommend Azureus (azureus.sourceforge.net). Read there website and docs to learn more.
2) search for torrents on the web... for example use Google, and put in keywords plus the word torrent. As you do this, you will find websites that specialize in listing available torrents.
3) When you find a torrent that interests you, you download and open the "torrent file" in Azureus (or other bittorrent client). This is not the actual data that you want, but a file that will tell the bittorrent client how to download the actual file(s) that you want.

That's it. Read the documentation for Azureus, or other clients, visit http://www.bittorrent.com to learn more, etc. After you get used to downloading, eventually learn how to create, "seed", and announce your own torrents.

Hope y'all find that useful.
=========================================

I've done some searching and there are only a few card image torrents out there. Not sure how recent they are or how complete. Here's hoping those of you with nearly complete sets will get some torrents started. If you do start a torrent, for the whole collection or a specific card set, please indicate the date of the "HQ Scans Project" that your torrent was last syched.

Hope this idea catches on and relieves the bandwidth bottleneck.

Cheers,
Greylander
greylander

Postby deathscythe_h » 16 Feb 2006, 23:52

or you can now use the mirror that comes with the new MWSPA update ;). i believe it helps a LITTLE as far as the "bottleneck" goes.
deathscythe_h

Dedicated seed

Postby whoopazzexpress » 06 Jun 2007, 16:58

i am about to install a server and i would be willing to dedicate a seed for the pics
whoopazzexpress

Postby VampyrLestat » 13 Jun 2007, 20:32

I have recently completed a mirror

You could download them at http://www.magichnd.com/mtgpics

Currently I'm uploading the last changes (FNM directory and some pics from FUT, LE, TSP)
VampyrLestat

Postby Goblin Hero » 14 Jun 2007, 05:55

VampyrLestat wrote:I have recently completed a mirror
You could download them at http://www.magichnd.com/mtgpics
Excellent! I'll add it to the MWSPA distributive. If you you choose to close/change your mirror pls inform me.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bandwidth problems

Postby luedtke6788 » 01 Feb 2008, 11:59

any chance of making a cron job or something to automate updating of mirrors if so i can host a mirror
i'v got about 5 GB open space and unlimited bandwidth
luedtke6788

Postby Goblin Hero » 02 Feb 2008, 13:02

luedtke6788 wrote:i'v got about 5 GB open space and unlimited bandwidth
Unlimited bandwith? It is impossible, beleive me. Unless you're an ISP yourself.
I can give you ftp access to the folder with all the files, so you can use rsync or something like that.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby luedtke6788 » 03 Feb 2008, 03:54

no not an isp myself yet working on that one but i do have a few friends in the business that give me good deals
luedtke6788

Postby Freek » 02 Oct 2008, 13:58

I Want to make a mirror i have 5GB Webspace and unlimited bandwith for my Domain. So how can i make a mirror? I only have all full.pics also Shards of Alara which are updated with MWSPA.
Freek

Postby Goblin Hero » 03 Oct 2008, 08:24

Freek wrote:I Want to make a mirror i have 5GB Webspace and unlimited bandwith for my Domain.
"Unlimited bandwith" is a marketing trick. Hoster will shut down your account afer a few days due to "exceed cpu usage" or any other reason. I know it, I've seen it. Sure it is possible to have 10 or even 100 Mbps unmetered, but it costs a fortune.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Picture Assistant