It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:31

Text Size

[Work in Progress] All Gods

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

[Work in Progress] All Gods

Postby God » 18 Jan 2015, 04:15

I've always been fascinated with the God cards. I'm planning to create "All Gods EDH" deck. I can't post a link yet but it's the first result when you google it.

My question for experienced deck coders, is it doable? or are there going to be cards that wouldn't work?

I'm a complete newbie, but I know requesting for an entire deck is too much to ask so I'm planning to study how to create decks. Right now, I only know of Riiak's builder. I haven't explored it much so I'm not even sure if I can create cards from it. But I did see the coding behind each card and I'm sure I'd have to spend a lot of time studying them.
God

Re: [Work in Progress] All Gods

Postby Xander9009 » 22 Jan 2015, 00:32

To the best of my knowledge, no one has made a working approximation of commander, meaning Command Tower won't work.

Sphere of Safety will need replaced.

EDIT: Apparently, mrfriendlyguy made Propaganda and Ghostly Prison, but I'm pretty certain those aren't going to work as expected. If by chance they do, though, then Sphere of Safety could also probably be made. I have my doubts, though.
Last edited by Xander9009 on 22 Jan 2015, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby God » 22 Jan 2015, 15:31

Thank you for the information. I just found out how hard it is to code so this is gonna take a long while.
God

Postby Xander9009 » 22 Jan 2015, 15:55

I just realized this was for 2013, not 2014. I should note that I do not know how to code for 2013, and I don't know what's possible and what's not. So, others might not be possible, and Sphere of Safety might work. I just don't know. If you go for 2014, we should actually have most of those cards, and if you post some requests in the formal request thread, I (if I have time), migookman (if he feels like it and sees the post), or some others might code some them. If you do start coding them yourself, feel free to post any code you're having trouble with. The formal request thread has morphed into a thread for card requests and requests for help with code, but technically, viewtopic.php?f=63&t=11418 would be a better place for coding questions (however, it's less likely to have everyone see it even if they could and would help).

If you only have 2013 and go with coding for that, the only person still around actively for questions that I know with certainty coded for 2013 is Riiak. I don't know if he still checks the 2013 forums, though. If he see's coding questions and knows the answer, he'll almost definitely lend a hand. Just don't PM him coding questions. He prefers they be public, and with good reason: so others with the same kinds of questions can learn from it as well and so if others happen to be able to help, then they can do so.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby God » 22 Jan 2015, 17:17

I do have 2014 and I wouldn't mind if I get to play this deck in there instead. I guess I'll try the Request Thread you provided.

I want to learn coding each cards too but I gotta browse more to learn the basics. Like how do I even create a card, where does it go, and what are core files and deck files. I just haven't had the time lately, but I'll get there. :)
God

Postby Xander9009 » 22 Jan 2015, 17:34

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=12167

It's very slightly outdated. Main things are the card structure, the art, the card references, and releasing it. For card structure, there's now also the option of TFM's desktop version. It's even better if you use my file TFM links to in his first post. It's more powerful, can auto-code more abilities, and allows you to make many cards at once. For the art and card references, the ultimate source for both is the Community Wad. Downloading just that will not only give you all of the available art (though it will not yet all be high quality, newer sets will still be low quality until MTGImage.com updates them, which in turn has to wait for the HQ Art team on this forum), but it'll also give you almost all of the available cards anywhere in the forum's mods. It also shows what you should do for crediting your work as yours. Each card in it has three custom tags near the end. They may end up changing if Riiak needs them altered, but they are generally set. These tags don't yet exist anywhere else. However, in Riiak's new version of the deck builder that he's working on (no clue when it'll be done, but he confirmed recently he's still doing it), those tags will show up. This also allows you to have usually only the best example of how to code a certain card because when making the CW, I preferred more experienced coders to less experienced ones when there were conflicts.

Finally, for releasing them, that tutorial was made before the Community Wad was released (which is why it doesn't tell you to use it). However, you're more than free to release any cards you code in there and not have to create or maintain your own wads or art. The only thing is, the deck itself will not be allowed in the Community Wad; that'll need to be released separately. But using the CW to create the deck and releasing the deck separately is very easy.

All in all, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 22 Jan 2015, 23:38

Xander9009 wrote:I don't know if he still checks the 2013 forums, though. If he see's coding questions and knows the answer, he'll almost definitely lend a hand. Just don't PM him coding questions. He prefers they be public, and with good reason: so others with the same kinds of questions can learn from it as well and so if others happen to be able to help, then they can do so.
I do still check the 2013 forums so no problems there. I prefer most questions be public since usually they are questions that other people have (that and I don't have all the answers).

Often, I will refrain from posting if the question is too general (like "How do I mod?"), if it isn't necessary (such as someone else is almost guaranteed to answer it), if it is a support question (bug report) in a mod thread by someone else, or a card/deck request (as I don't take requests). The exceptions to that are generally when the thread starter has abandoned the thread, the question is actually about something I wrote (and possibly posted in the wrong place), or it is directed towards me. If someone has problems coding a card I have no problems helping out (as long as the card can reasonably be coded), but I'm generally not going to write all the code (the person must have at least made a decent attempt for me to do code corrections).

Xander9009 wrote:It also shows what you should do for crediting your work as yours. Each card in it has three custom tags near the end. They may end up changing if Riiak needs them altered, but they are generally set. These tags don't yet exist anywhere else. However, in Riiak's new version of the deck builder that he's working on (no clue when it'll be done, but he confirmed recently he's still doing it), those tags will show up.
I did take a quick look at the tags and I don't think they will need to change. Though I will say that the Deck Builder will not separate a single tag into multiple columns (the code for that would be way too messy and error prone).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Xander9009 » 23 Jan 2015, 00:18

RiiakShiNal wrote:I did take a quick look at the tags and I don't think they will need to change. Though I will say that the Deck Builder will not separate a single tag into multiple columns (the code for that would be way too messy and error prone).
Meh. They're already comma separated, so that shouldn't matter anyway. I will say I think in my opinion the best way to show it would be to show the editor(s) tag with the creator(s) substring being underlined, highlighted, bolded, etc... (one of these; not all of them... lol). Or maybe just show both those tags in separate fields. Either of those would work well in my opinion. (Though the dates are really not too relevant most of the time, they could potentially be shown in case a user starts having trouble with a card and they want to easily see if it was recently updated... I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.)
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 23 Jan 2015, 00:28

Xander9009 wrote:Meh. They're already comma separated, so that shouldn't matter anyway. I will say I think in my opinion the best way to show it would be to show the editor(s) tag with the creator(s) substring being underlined, highlighted, bolded, etc... (one of these; not all of them... lol). Or maybe just show both those tags in separate fields. Either of those would work well in my opinion. (Though the dates are really not too relevant most of the time, they could potentially be shown in case a user starts having trouble with a card and they want to easily see if it was recently updated... I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.)
Well, with what I'm working on they should show up like regular columns in the view(s) which can be toggled on/off individually. That way if someone doesn't care who created and/or edited the card they can turn that column off.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to 2013