It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:25

Text Size

Worship effects and Infect/damage triggers

Moderators: FranAvalon, Marek14, CCGHQ Admins

Worship effects and Infect/damage triggers

Postby travolter » 16 Nov 2012, 21:28

Dinghammer reported:

Using Ali from Cairo in a deck that started with 1 life, I played against an infect deck and a Goblin deck featuring Goblin Lackey. I didn't get counters from infect, and Goblin Lackey never triggered.

The same thing happened with Platinum Emperion and the infect deck (once I figured out that the computer will attack if I put Pacifism on the Emperion). I couldn't get the computer to attack me with a Goblin Lackey or Warren Instigator, even with Pacifism on the Emperion, but I believe the results would be the same.

From Ali from Cairo's rulings:

This effect does not prevent damage, it prevents the damage from turning into loss of life. So the full damage is dealt (and abilities that trigger on damage being dealt still trigger), but the full loss of life is not applied.

And Worship:

Worship does not prevent damage. It causes some damage to be unable to lower your life total. So any damage rendered useless by Worship was still dealt and is counted by effects that track the amount of damage done to a player. In addition, Worship does not prevent loss of life, so loss of life bypasses Worship.

And from the SoM FAQ for Platinum Emperion:

* The ability doesn't prevent damage. Rather, it changes the results of that damage. For example, if a creature with lifelink deals damage to you, you won't lose any life, but its controller will still gain that much life. Similarly, if a creature you control with lifelink deals damage to another player, that player will lose life but you won't gain any life. Notably, if a creature with infect deals damage to you, you'll get that many poison counters.

* Abilities that trigger whenever damage is dealt to you will still trigger because that damage is still dealt, even though your life total doesn't change as a result.

I've attached three logs:

The first log is Ali from Cairo vs. the Infect deck.

The second log is Ali from Cairo vs. the Goblin deck.

The third log is Platinum Emperion vs. the Infect deck.
travolter

Return to Engine Bugs