It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 22:55

Text Size

Having multiple issues and looking for some insight.

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Having multiple issues and looking for some insight.

Postby Salty9 » 07 Sep 2016, 21:29

Recently a group of friends and I downloaded the Community.wad files in order to use some custom made decks with each other. Now, before we initially downloaded this we had been running multiple .Wad files in order to custom make decks using the Deck Builder by Riiak. Our deck builder listed around 6300 cards in total(duplicates/lands included), obviously once I found the Community.wad and saw how many cards it had access to I wanted to try it out with everyone.

Now prior to using the Community.wad we didn't have any issues aside from the occasional dump after a game was completed, this wasn't a huge issue to us as we had at least gotten to complete the games. However now that we have changed over our .Wad files to the Community files it seems that Magic 2014 has continually started to hang up during games, most of the time from activating certain land cards(Cavern of Souls has been the biggest culprit) and even token producing cards like Thopter Squadron. There are others, but it seems extremely random at times. When the game isn't "freezing", the UI decides to completely disappear for one player. All the problems that occur in our games will fix themselves if people leave, so that's led me to believe that it could possibly be connection issues of some sort? but then again, I have no clue to be honest.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who has contributed and created content for the casual players, like myself, to use and have a great time with. I've loved playing Magic for years and this has certainly brought back some fantastic memories of Friday Night Magic with friends.

Any input into my issues will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Salty9

Re: Having multiple issues and looking for some insight.

Postby Xander9009 » 08 Sep 2016, 15:10

While I can't guarantee anything, especially since I myself never play multiplayer, it could be the sheer size of the CW. If that's the case, then the fix for that would be to reduce the size of your local Community Wad files.

I've made a utility relatively recently, which should walk you through the whole process. I'd give this a shot and see if it helps with the UI issues. If it doesn't, then it might just be that some of the cards are too complicated to use in multiplayer. Cavern of Souls, for example, calls several functions several times per second. There's no good way around that, unfortunately.

For the tool, check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17394
"ISOLATE USED CARDS AND ART" section.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby Salty9 » 08 Sep 2016, 17:55

Xander9009 wrote:While I can't guarantee anything, especially since I myself never play multiplayer, it could be the sheer size of the CW. If that's the case, then the fix for that would be to reduce the size of your local Community Wad files.

I've made a utility relatively recently, which should walk you through the whole process. I'd give this a shot and see if it helps with the UI issues. If it doesn't, then it might just be that some of the cards are too complicated to use in multiplayer. Cavern of Souls, for example, calls several functions several times per second. There's no good way around that, unfortunately.

For the tool, check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17394
"ISOLATE USED CARDS AND ART" section.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will try out your Isolation program, hopefully it will work itself out. I don't mind ceasing the use of certain cards, like Cavern of Souls, if they're continually causing problems.

I will let you know how it all works out after we've sync'd up the reduced .Wad size, and thank you again for all the work you've done and for the help on this issue!
Salty9

Postby Salty9 » 09 Sep 2016, 03:58

The Isolation program definitely helped with the UI errors, though the game will hang on certain lands. It seems that the lands that are coded only to be used on certain creature types but add any color, like Sliver Hive, is just too much for 2HG & FFA multiplayer to handle. This is fine as we can just find creative ways to work around it.

Thanks again for the help!
Salty9

Postby Xander9009 » 09 Sep 2016, 11:01

It'll probably also affect any other restricted mana. That mana has tokens which have abilities granted and removed multiple times every time you simply move your mouse over something (the only way to make it work). However, that makes me really sad, because something I'm working on for lands does something very similar. That means it'll probably only work in single player.
Xander9009
Programmer

Return to 2014