It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:13

Text Size

Warning: Community Wad basic lands that crash the game

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Warning: Community Wad basic lands that crash the game

Postby Lurker » 23 Jul 2022, 17:03

I played with Community Wad for quite a few years, and after updating recently found out that some of my decks which worked fine before now crashed the game completely. Deck Manager didn't show any errors, so I had to dig in and do a little investigation.

Long story short: there are lands - basic lands, no less - in a current (1204) version of Community Wad (available in Google Drive folder) for Magic 2014 which crash the game if they are present in deck of any player playing the match. If you remove them from the deck and replace with non-broken lands, everything works just fine. There are two things about it that are especially bad, from my opinion:

1) At least some of those broken lands worked just fine on 2017 version of Community Wad (this was my version before updating). Someone broke code for perfectly working cards.

2) The problem is quite subtle, both Riiak's Deck Manager and in-game Deck browser do not display any error messages or indicate that anything is amiss. You can recognize the problem only when the game crashes once you start the match.

There are five lands I've definitely tested that cause this problem, there probably are many others. Here are the codes for lands I've tested:

Plains = Plains_CW_NEG_23, Plains_CW_NEG_39, Plains_CW_NEG_84
Forest = Forest_CW_NEG_43
Island = Island_CW_NEG_40

What could cause such a problem? I'm not a programmer and never coded any cards, so I can't say for certain, but all of the broken cards have something weird written in XML code in localizations for some languages, especially for what I assume is Portuguese (I highlighted it in an attached screenshot). Question marks for a lot of other languages also don't look too good to me. Now, I don't know if this is what causes crashes, but something definitely is broken here. I also play with English language myself, so my guess is this problem should materialize on any language version of the game.

Considering the state of the forum (dead) I don't hope too much for someone to come and actually fix these lands and make a fixed version of Community Wad, but I can at least warn others who may have problems with unexplained crashes of one possible reason for them (and warn the others to look the code for basic lands before adding them manually).

Below you can see screenshots with XML for two cards to this message, Plains_357489 is working as it should, while Plains_CW_NEG_84 crashes the game if added to player deck.
Attachments
Land_brobl_plains_right.png
Land working as intended
Land_brobl_plains_wrong.png
Land crashing the game
Lurker

Re: Warning: Community Wad basic lands that crash the game

Postby RiiakShiNal » 15 Aug 2022, 11:09

I see one of two possibilities for the problem here (granted there could be other possibilities that I'm not seeing).

First possibility is that the BOM (Byte Order Mark) has been screwed up or destroyed. Card XMLs need to be saved as UTF-8 or the non-ASCII characters can be destroyed/corrupted (often showing up as question marks or other ASCII characters).

Second possibility is the non-ASCII characters themselves have been corrupted and no longer match up to any known unicode characters (and thus can't be displayed or properly loaded). This can also result in the showing of characters as corrupt, as question marks, or not at all.

My best guess would probably be that the BOM was screwed up because someone didn't save them as UTF-8 (or saved them as UTF-8 without a BOM).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby drovil » 24 Mar 2023, 12:16

Good day!

I've tracked down the land cards with the question marks [??????] or something similar in their translation, copy-pasted the fixed ones and hopefully saved in the right format.

When I was saving it, it threw an error stating something about "Not all characters are representable in Western (Windows 1252), falling back to UTF-8" which is the one the file needs to be in as stated by sir Riiak in the post above.

Here are the files if anyone wants to add them in their CW Pack:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1qcktpnl ... x.zip/file

Aside from land cards, a quick search in Notepad++ yielded these results where their localised text are also riddled with "?" in their data, so be on the lookout when using the cards listed below that might cause crash based on sir Lurker's observation with faulty land cards:

| Open
\AURA_OF_SILENCE_349107.XML
\FERTILE_IMAGINATION_349274.XML
\OBLIVION_RING_CW.XML
\UNNERVE_CW_247531.xml
\VEILSTONE_AMULET_CW.XML
\ZEKTAR_SHRINE_EXPEDITION_CW_183403.xml
\_CHANCE_CW.xml
\_CLAIM_CW.xml
\_COMPLY_CW.xml
\_CONSIGN_CW.xml
\_COOPERATE_CW.xml
\_DAWN_CW.xml
\_DESPAIR_CW.xml
\_DESTINED_CW.xml
\_DRIVEN_CW.xml
\_DUSK_CW.xml
\_DUST_CW.xml
\_EARTH_CW.xml
\_FAILURE_CW.xml
\_FAME_CW.xml
\_FARM_CW.xml
\_FEED_CW.xml
\_FIGHT_CW.xml
\_FINISH_CW.xml
\_GRIND_CW.xml
\_HEAVEN_CW.xml
\_INJURY_CW.xml
\_INSULT_CW.xml
\_LEAVE_CW.xml
\_MARKET_CW.xml
\_MOUTH_CW.xml
\_ONWARD_CW.xml
\_PREPARE_CW.xml
\_REDUCE_CW.xml
\_REFUSE_CW.xml
\_RUBBLE_CW.xml
\_START_CW.xml
\_VICTORY_CW.xml

I'm working on a fix for the mentioned cards. Will post the files as soon as they are finished.
"Also, that's post number 5. You're officially no longer censored. lol"
-Xander, the Enlightener
Rest in Peace Xander9009.
drovil

Postby drovil » 24 Mar 2023, 14:57

Potential crash cards from above have been resaved to UTF-8 format with some translation fixes:

| Open
\AURA_OF_SILENCE_349107.XML
\FERTILE_IMAGINATION_349274.XML
\OBLIVION_RING_CW.XML
\UNNERVE_CW_247531.xml
\VEILSTONE_AMULET_CW.XML
\ZEKTAR_SHRINE_EXPEDITION_CW_183403.xml
\_CHANCE_CW.xml
\_CLAIM_CW.xml
\_COMPLY_CW.xml
\_CONSIGN_CW.xml
\_COOPERATE_CW.xml