It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:16

Text Size

can we have we all work together this time and have one core

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

can we have we all work together this time and have one core

Postby drleg3nd » 27 Jun 2013, 19:03

Hey wassup guys before we start posting mods can we mimic the structure of the original decks and and have one core and one wad file with decks ? Also can all wads be named instead of having only uid so we can delete what we don't like. I have to call out the big guns on this initiative, so firemind, sumomule, nemesis, scion, riaak,kev and the rest who actually code the cards have to be willing to go ahead with it and everyone should follow thereafter. I don't think this should be hard to do since this is a new start anyone agree? Disagree ?
drleg3nd

Re: can we have we all work together this time and have one

Postby RiiakShiNal » 27 Jun 2013, 19:12

I already split my mods into a Core and Decks (with the deck wads named with the deck name) and I don't plan to stop doing that for DotP 2014.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby drleg3nd » 27 Jun 2013, 19:57

That's fine ..we can build on what you bring out and add on top of that..it would be helpful so we won't have so much fragmentation of diff codes of the same card..I just wanna get some cohesion on these mods so everyone downloading and enjoying them will be on the same level..my idea would be everyone to use the same core pool to make there decks , if someone decides to code some cards he /she would include in said core..in doing that it doesn't matter if they make there own deck wad or include in your wad deck since we all use the same cards..since the file will get bigger over time I suggest we use a dropbox acct,scion has one available which I also use.
drleg3nd

Postby RiiakShiNal » 27 Jun 2013, 21:20

You may have a hard time getting everyone to make a single large core because everyone codes differently and changes to a single card would in effect require downloading the whole core again.

The main change I'm expecting to make this time round is splitting up my text data (text permanent, cards, functions, etc...) into a Card/Function core while I put card images into a separate image core. I'll more than likely end up putting my AI Personality/Deck related images in their separate deck wads like my builder (for 2013) does (I'm still working on updating it for 2014).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby jacque » 28 Jun 2013, 02:20

Why not ONE person compiles it into a core, others contribute to code, etc. And have a new topic, first post on the list updated what are the WIPs so that there won't be 2 people working on the same card.

If that's the case, I think we'd be trying to work towards complete card sets, rather than selective cards that are used in a particular deck.

I'd suggest RiiakShiNal or thefiremind to be the compilers, and perhaps use their Core as the base... not hating anyone's out there but, I'm sure you'd agree that their work have been proven complete & stable, and they're sharp at identifying errors in a piece of code as well... Just saying.

The way how I see this work is, you guys identify your "team" of coders... you guys have a common place to brainstorm, work, trash things out, and then once the team is happy with the compiled Core, it's "released" to be downloaded from the forums...
Learn making your own cards today!!!

Click on Image if a post/reply helped you.

I stitch old cards together to make new ones...

~ Jacque, the confused
jacque

Postby gorem2k » 28 Jun 2013, 03:52

I like the idea of a wip list for new cards -- in order to avoid dupes.
gorem2k

Postby drleg3nd » 28 Jun 2013, 05:19

sounds good to me.. seems very doable
drleg3nd

Postby castled » 28 Jun 2013, 07:18

I suggest to make an ID list for unofficial cards, to make no conflict position IDs for cards.
then authors point out cards' IDs that their *.wad contain, it will be easy to find "which cards you need", "where you can find it", "is it fixed", and make less conflict, I think. :)
castled

Postby thefiremind » 28 Jun 2013, 08:51

The idea of everyone working on a single card pool comes up everytime a new DotP comes out, but it usually doesn't get many adhesions from the modders because everyone likes to code his cards his own way. But don't worry about the conflicts, DotP2013 taught us a couple of lessons and we'll be more careful this time: different Multiverse ID prefixes, different constant names and values, different function names, different LOL file names. RiiakShiNal and I already agreed about those precautions, I think sumomole will follow us too... just hope all the other modders will do the same. :wink:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Scion of Darkness » 28 Jun 2013, 09:20

The battle plan is good but execution not so easy, bring harmony to all modders around here is not easy, i think the best is stick to the basic, every moder use a core wad, individual named wads for the decks, as nobody have the obligation to like all the decks other modders make (people might like only standart or not overpowered decks), and folow simple coding rules,
-if you use othr modders cards, dont include them on your wads instead point users to the core wad of the card creator (to prevent situations like happened with transform cards),
-or if you really want to use them change all the ids to prevent conflicts
-to get hd pictures the best is the topic here in slightly viewtopic.php?f=15&t=445 it has almost every picture needed (i have them all on pc =P)
and of course the best rule of all is enjoy XD
Scion of Darkness

Postby castled » 28 Jun 2013, 09:23

:D thank for everyone who makes contribution for our same joy
castled

Postby RiiakShiNal » 28 Jun 2013, 12:56

thefiremind wrote:The idea of everyone working on a single card pool comes up everytime a new DotP comes out, but it usually doesn't get many adhesions from the modders because everyone likes to code his cards his own way. But don't worry about the conflicts, DotP2013 taught us a couple of lessons and we'll be more careful this time: different Multiverse ID prefixes, different constant names and values, different function names, different LOL file names. RiiakShiNal and I already agreed about those precautions, I think sumomole will follow us too... just hope all the other modders will do the same. :wink:
Yep, with DotP 2013 kevlahnota tried to bring everyone together using the online SVN for the community DLC, though that has problems of its own besides modders simply not using it (such as myself and thefiremind not using it). Using an SVN is a good idea, but it basically requires more knowledge for regular users (need to know how to access, download, pack, etc...). Not to mention when the user would pack it up it would contain a whole bunch of extra directories and files unless the user went through and removed all of the .svn directories and the files contained within them. For rev 163 of the community DLC it took me a good half hour or more to remove those extra directories then pack all the individual wads.

As for prefixing and making sure things are unique we even set up a registry so that we can reserve prefixes and id blocks so that we don't step on each others toes, but it still requires other modders to follow our lead.

As for not coding a card more than once, I don't see any problem with modders coding a card someone else has already coded. Some people do it to familiarize themselves with how to code cards, others as a challenge, other modders probably do it simply because they only want to trust their own code. The main point to avoid is coding a card with the same FILENAME another modder uses (hence file prefixes and/or id prefixes to prevent that). Starting from easy cards or trying to see if you can code something someone else already has can be a great way to learn how to code cards (because you have something to look at and analyze if you run into problems).

Scion of Darkness wrote:The battle plan is good but execution not so easy, bring harmony to all modders around here is not easy, i think the best is stick to the basic, every moder use a core wad, individual named wads for the decks, as nobody have the obligation to like all the decks other modders make (people might like only standart or not overpowered decks), and folow simple coding rules,
-if you use othr modders cards, dont include them on your wads instead point users to the core wad of the card creator (to prevent situations like happened with transform cards),
-or if you really want to use them change all the ids to prevent conflicts
-to get hd pictures the best is the topic here in slightly viewtopic.php?f=15&t=445 it has almost every picture needed (i have them all on pc =P)
and of course the best rule of all is enjoy XD
I agree with this as well, if each modder has their own Core wad (and it is clearly labeled as such) and separate wads for each deck, it will make getting cards relatively easy and allow people to drop decks they don't want while keeping the cards so they can use them with deck building tools (I'm working on getting mine updated) for making their own decks (or as dependencies for other modders decks).

Though I highly recommend against copying cards into the deck wads (it makes it harder to keep track of them when one is updated to fix a bug or something), if it must be done they should indeed change all the prefixes (on both files and functions).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Xander9009 » 29 Jun 2013, 10:12

From the perspective of someone who hasn't made any mods for these games (though I do plan to in the future, I'm getting past the beginning learning stages now) and has only downloaded and used other's mods, I'd have to agree that it would be nice to have everything in one easy to understand file. However, I'd also agree that it would be more work than it's worth to have to re-download such a potentially large file every time 1 card is updated. The thing that annoyed me the most with 2013's mods was simply not being able to easily identify the decks and what the different wads were for. So, the idea of having cores which contain the cards and then separate wads for each deck, with everything being clearly labeled, seems like a better solution than trying to have everything in a single file.

And to RiiakShiNal regarding coding cards others have done, there isn't a problem with coding something which has already been done for learning purposes. But when it come to actually making those cards available for download in a mod, it would make more sense to use the ones which were made first instead of having multiple copies of cards available. It's a simple case of fewer card files means fewer chances for bugs. Simultaneously, fewer wad files means fewer things to check for updates...
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby JorUge » 17 Jan 2014, 19:32

Even reading I dont know why we cant work together

I know it will be a lot of work and I am offering my humble help.

The ideas would be put for versions 2013, 2014 Magic games for example.
For the cards that we have in the furum more than one version, we could give the option to choose the versions tested and functional.

Each one could improve the cards, set the texts in each language for cards only in english.

Other idea is insert the tested and functional codes, in wiki pages.
JorUge

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 17 Jan 2014, 23:00

I have a folder with art, card files, and even card UI TEXT_PERMANENT files from most of the mods in here (it's well over 1 Gigabite), so whenever I have a card I need for a deck that has already been made I only need to search the folder and copy-and-paste it into my deck. The problem with consolidating EVERY CARD from EVERY MOD into a single core (and only use that core for decks) is that, not only will the core be massive to download but it will be a nightmare to patch (generally I debug cards with skeptical sources as I use them, but for most of the experienced modders, i.e. sumomole, thefiremind whom almost never have bugs I generally trust that their cards are OK).

With that said, I don't mind putting all the art/cards/textpermanent in my "library" up for a single WAD and upload it (it has ALOT of duplicates but I don't find that to be an issue at all). Of course, I'd need a place other than ZippyShare which can handle files greater than 200 MB - I would use MediaFire but I hear some people have trouble downloading from there.
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Next

Return to 2014