It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:39

Text Size

TFM&G2K's Planeswalkers Pool v8g (12/Sep/2014)

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

TFM&G2K's Planeswalkers Pool v8g (12/Sep/2014)

Postby thefiremind » 30 Aug 2013, 10:05

TFM&G2K's Planeswalkers Pool

Don't open this, it's just a bad joke... | Open
Featuring Duck Fayden.
Image :mrgreen:
(I see so many people write Duck instead of Dack now... what have I done! :lol:)

After seeing that gorem2k's Planeswalkers had very good feedback despite being approximated, I decided to give him a hand and reduce the approximations as much as I could. This is the result of our collaboration. 8)

Changelog:
  • Version 8g: fixed strange behavior by Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (thanks to gorem2k for finding how :))... the fix might give other problems someday, but time will tell. :mrgreen:
  • Version 8f: Garruk the Relentless and Sarkhan the Mad should correctly deal only 1 damage to themselves when under the effect of Ajani Steadfast's ultimate (note: it will still be 1 damage even if something makes it unpreventable, unfortunately that's a forced approximation).
  • Version 8e: reverted the change to the manager, it gave more problems than it solved.
  • Version 8d: fixed Nissa, Worldwaker's ultimate, made a slight change on the manager that should decrease the CPU load a little bit.
  • Version 8c: re-fixed Garruk, the Veil-Cursed, hopefully once and for all.
  • Version 8b: fix for Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver by gorem2k.
  • Version 8: the pool now contains The Chain Veil, and the manager's rule for "only 1 loyalty ability each turn" has been revamped in order to support it (thanks to gorem2k for spotting the problem in my code :)). Let me know if it fails in particular scenarios.
  • Version 7: added M15 Planeswalkers, fixed "0" ability cost on Nissa Revane.
  • Version 6d: added Dack Fayden. Sorry for the lack of translations on his ultimate, but the Conspiracy set has been released only in English and Japanese. I took the text for the first ability from DotP2013's Cephalid Broker, and the text for the second ability from Memnarch, so the card is translated as much as I could.
  • Version 6c: Vraska's +1 ability now works again.
  • Version 6b: fixed a crash happening in games with more than 2 players when one of them loses the game.
  • Version 6: added Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, and now Planeswalkers should work as usual even when stolen by an opponent whose deck doesn't feature Planeswalkers. I haven't updated the ExportVersion attribute on the Planeswalkers, I hope you don't mind.
  • Version 5e: added Kiora, the Crashing Wave (still untested, sorry!), capitalized Russian token names.
    Also fixed Garruk, the Veil-Cursed (it was a small fix so I'm considering it belonging to the same version).
  • Version 5d: fixed double lifelink.
  • Version 5c: Added Elspeth, Sun's Champion to the sub-types list (which I previously forgot to do, thanks to gorem2k for warning me :oops:).
  • Version 5b: Xenagos, the Reveler should be 100% functional now, thanks to RiiakShiNal. I haven't tested it personally, though.
  • Version 5: Added Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Xenagos, the Reveler.
  • Version 4d: Updated Planeswalker types and target exceptions for Theros, fixed a small problem with target exceptions, gave Elspeth, Sun's Champion her real Multiverse ID.
  • Version 4c: Fixed Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Gideon, Champion of Justice, and removed the 2HG approximation.
  • Version 4b: Fixed multiple creatures' combat damage redirection.
  • Version 4: Fixed the ultimate in Elspeth Tirel, added the new Elspeth, Sun's Champion (translated where I could).
  • Version 3c: Fixed the ultimate in Sorin, Lord of Innistrad.
  • Version 3b: Fixed the Doubling Season workaround function.
  • Version 3: Added a workaround to all Planeswalkers so that their "+x" costs aren't affected by Doubling Season.
  • Version 2: Added Jace, Architect of Thought, and added an exception for the cards that cannot target Planeswalkers in case an Enchanted Evening is in play.
  • Version 1: The first "real" version (previous ones were tests that I just passed to gorem2k to try).

Some things you have to know:
  • The WAD file doesn't contain any deck. It's up to you to make decks out of it (I suggest Riiak's Deck Builder for the new modders out there :wink:), or maybe you'll need it as prerequisite for other mods.
  • Planeswalkers are still APPROXIMATED. That's why you won't find them in my own mod: I want to keep it free from heavy approximations like this. They still offer loads of fun, though, and I think you'll never find official Planeswalker cards in a DotP game (damn those prejudices about Planeswalkers being difficult to understand... :x), so grab them as we coded them and enjoy! Here's a list of the approximations that I can remember:
    • Despite being cleverly hidden from your sight, Planeswalkers count as Basic Snow Enchantment on the battlefield, and as Planeswalker Enchantment in all other zones. The Planeswalker card type isn't handled correctly by the game, so it needs a "backup" type for being shown outside of the battlefield, and it needs to be removed on the battlefield in order for the card not to go straight to the graveyard.
      Some cards that target enchantments have been prevented from targetting Planeswalkers, but other cards would need tweaks on their own code in order to manage this approximation correctly. In the WAD you can find a tweaked Tarmogoyf that doesn't count Planeswalkers as enchantments.
    • You normally couldn't deal damage to an enchantment, so damage triggers from sources that deal damage to Planeswalkers won't trigger (unless they become creatures... but remember that Gideon prevents the damage when he becomes a creature).
    • Unpreventable non-combat damage redirected to a non-creature Planeswalker will become preventable.
    • A creature that attacks a Planeswalker will still be counted as attacking the player.
    • Honestly I didn't test this aspect, but if it's the same as in the previous DotP games, equipments that became creatures because of Tezzeret (any of the 2) will still be equippable.
    • You can't see emblems. Let's say that the emblem abilities are coded as they were worded before the emblem was invented: effects that "linger" as long as their controller is in game.
  • Missing Planeswalkers:
    • Gideon Jura: I can't say that he's impossible to code, but his first ability would require changes to the Planeswalkers manager that I didn't want to become crazy about. :wink:
    • Karn Liberated: no support for restarting the game in DotP. I won't make a Karn Liberated that simply sets life totals to 20, re-shuffles everything in the decks and then draws 7 cards, because that is NOT restarting the game. For instance:
      • Continuous effects based on players would still apply (such as emblems or Stigma Lasher).
      • Mulligans couldn't be taken.
      • The current turn wouldn't end immediately.
      • Poison counters wouldn't reset (no support to decrease poison counters in DotP).
      Feel free to make an approximated Karn Liberated if you want, but it won't have a place in my pool.
    • Sorin Markov: no support for controlling another player's turn in DotP.

What you need in order to play:

Link:
DATA_DLC_PLW_v8g
Code: Select all
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/71950895/file.html
ATTENTION: There's an unofficial update which you can find here. Read that post for credits and more information.

Known bugs:
  • Numerical choices can't have a "Cancel" button on them, so you won't be able to undo the "-X" activations of Chandra Nalaar, Tezzeret the Seeker and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver once you get to the numerical choice. I can't see any solution that wouldn't introduce further approximations, so you'll have to live with it.
  • Not really a bug, but something to be aware of: Dack Fayden's ultimate uses the same approximation as my Heroic mechanic, so it only looks into target chests from 0 to 99 (inclusive). I don't think any modder here would use target chests above 99 on his cards, but if you see Dack Fayden's ultimate not working properly when you cast a spell that another modder coded, this might be the reason.
  • Vraska's +1 ability won't work if she gets killed by the damage.

Please let me know of any bug/problem you encounter, by answering to this topic. If SCRIPT_LOG.TXT opens after playing with my cards, please inform me about what's written in it.

Have fun!
Last edited by thefiremind on 07 Oct 2014, 15:48, edited 58 times in total.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Re: TFM&G2K's Planeswalkers Pool v1 (30/Aug/2013)

Postby mr friendly guy » 30 Aug 2013, 10:29

I had both test versions and already created a deck from it.

1. What is the difference in this combine version compared to the test versions?

2. Do we still get leyline of the deity in the set? I am using it to speed up testing of my decks when I create them to see if the combo's work.
mr friendly guy

Postby thefiremind » 30 Aug 2013, 11:15

mr friendly guy wrote:1. What is the difference in this combine version compared to the test versions?
There are some more Planeswalkers and I fixed some bugs on gorem2k's Planeswalkers.

mr friendly guy wrote:2. Do we still get leyline of the deity in the set? I am using it to speed up testing of my decks when I create them to see if the combo's work.
I haven't included it because I wanted to keep only Planeswalkers and related cards. You can find it here separately or you can extract it from the test version.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby gorem2k » 30 Aug 2013, 20:28

Amazing! I like it... I also like the much better lookin' Sorin, Lord of Innistrad.

Do you think Jace, Architect of Thought would be possible ? I mean, it has some similarities with Liliana of the Veil ultimate, doesn't it ?
gorem2k

Postby thefiremind » 30 Aug 2013, 21:55

gorem2k wrote:Do you think Jace, Architect of Thought would be possible ? I mean, it has some similarities with Liliana of the Veil ultimate, doesn't it ?
I actually forgot to mention him in the missing Planeswalkers... :lol: I think he's possible to code, but I would make the AI handling a bit different: 2 piles from 3 cards can end up either 2-1 or 1-2, so the card that stays alone should be the one with the highest score. I don't know if CalcScore works well with cards in library, but I can try.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby gorem2k » 30 Aug 2013, 22:44

thefiremind wrote:I actually forgot to mention him in the missing Planeswalkers... :lol:
and... Sorin Markov (impossible of course)

thefiremind wrote:I don't know if CalcScore works well with cards in library, but I can try.
Great, if I can be of any help, let me know.
gorem2k

Postby thefiremind » 30 Aug 2013, 23:49

gorem2k wrote:and... Sorin Markov (impossible of course)
Right... :oops: now the missing list should be complete. Let's hope that the new Elspeth won't have anything too fancy, so the list won't grow up. :D
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby fallenangle » 31 Aug 2013, 03:03

First, let me thank both thefiremind and gorem2k for your incredible work at making playable planeswalkers.

Second, although I'm not a programmer, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be completely impossible to code Sorin and Karn. For example, "Restart the game" could be interpreted as, "Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library and draws 7 cards (a la Time Reversal)" and "Each player's life total is set to 20." In this case, all you'd have to do to "restart the game" would be to execute both functions, then exile Karn and all non-Aura permanents and have them return to your control.

For Sorin, you might be able to first set a function that prevented your opponent from casting spells, then make one that says something like, "until end of turn, look at your opponent's hand. You may play cards from it without paying their mana costs. Put each card played this way onto the battlefield under your opponent's control. If the spell is a non-land card, tap target lands opponent controls equal to the card's converted mana cost." You could then say something like, "Use this ability only if your opponent has untapped lands or mana in his or her mana pool equal to a spell's converted mana cost." For attackers, you could use something like Bassandra's ability to compel your opponent to attack with any number of target creatures.

Again, I'm not a programmer, and I'm not saying this would be easy, but I think it might be possible to creatively use some of the abilities already available to us to code Karn and Sorin (if only approximately), if someone has the will to try it. Just my 2 cents, as I'm perfectly happy with the mod as it is now.
fallenangle

Postby gorem2k » 31 Aug 2013, 04:42

fallenangle wrote:For example, "Restart the game" could be interpreted as, "Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library and draws 7 cards (a la Time Reversal)" and "Each player's life total is set to 20." In this case, all you'd have to do to "restart the game" would be to execute both functions, then exile Karn and all non-Aura permanents and have them return to your control.
I think there would be a problem with poison counters, I don't know if we can remove them too. unless there's no official function for Restart that wipes everything off and start from zero, I doubt I would make it. but then, everyone's free to make one and use it in their mod.

fallenangle wrote:For Sorin, you might be able to first set a function that prevented your opponent from casting spells, then make one that says something like, "until end of turn, look at your opponent's hand. You may play cards from it without paying their mana costs. Put each card played this way onto the battlefield under your opponent's control. If the spell is a non-land card, tap target lands opponent controls equal to the card's converted mana cost." You could then say something like, "Use this ability only if your opponent has untapped lands or mana in his or her mana pool equal to a spell's converted mana cost." For attackers, you could use something like Bassandra's ability to compel your opponent to attack with any number of target creatures.
To be honest, it's one of the many things I've tried today, I've tried to make Mindslaver more exactly, and my conclusion is, we can't make an opponent play a card using the exact cost. it would be very complicated to calculate which cards can be played and how to pay for it, a converted mana cost would be wrong. seriously, the missing list is there for a good reason!

Thanks for the feedback! and I'm glad you enjoy this mod, i'm a big fan here :lol:
gorem2k

Postby thefiremind » 31 Aug 2013, 09:46

gorem2k wrote:I think there would be a problem with poison counters, I don't know if we can remove them too.
This is a good point and I didn't even think about that. What I thought is that restarting the game needs the current turn to end, you can't call it a restart if you are in main phase 2. Unfortunately there's no function to end the turn: you could make the player skip all the steps after the current one (after all the problems with Paradox Haze I wouldn't even try :lol:) but the current one would still be up and running.
This is, without bothering about effects that would still be going (emblems, "until your next turn", etc.).
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Parabolic » 31 Aug 2013, 15:17

thefiremind wrote:
gorem2k wrote:I think there would be a problem with poison counters, I don't know if we can remove them too.
This is a good point and I didn't even think about that. What I thought is that restarting the game needs the current turn to end, you can't call it a restart if you are in main phase 2. Unfortunately there's no function to end the turn: you could make the player skip all the steps after the current one (after all the problems with Paradox Haze I wouldn't even try :lol:) but the current one would still be up and running.
Not to mention that restarting the game means players are allowed to mulligan. Technically, mulligans are supposed to be simultaneous (are they even in 2014 to start with? It's been a while since I've seen both players need to mulligan). Otherwise, we could probably do an approximation like what fallenangle was talking about: Ask if they want to shuffle their hand into their deck and draw i-1 cards. Just have to start with i=8.

But if we ignore poison counters and emblems (which are fairly fringe), the mulligans (which could be done non-simultaneous), and the turn order (whoever had Karn was elected to go first? Yeah that one's a bit of a stretch), I think an approximation of Karn could be done. That would make him an approximation of an approximation.

Would we be able to return exiled cards not exiled by Karn back to their decks? Not only do we have to for his ability, but I'm thinking of effects like Oblivion Ring and Fiend Hunter.
Parabolic

Postby drleg3nd » 31 Aug 2013, 16:14

Hey was trying out some of the planewalkers in my decks and they don't lose any counters when attacked..also when multiple creatures attack the planewalker the constantly repeating their attack in a endless cycle
drleg3nd

Postby gorem2k » 31 Aug 2013, 17:54

drleg3nd wrote:Hey was trying out some of the planewalkers in my decks and they don't lose any counters when attacked..also when multiple creatures attack the planewalker the constantly repeating their attack in a endless cycle
This seems like you have leftovers from previous planeswalker mod in some of your wads. Make sure you only kept the latest PLW dlc. (no tests or PLW_ xml)
gorem2k

Postby Harfenik » 31 Aug 2013, 19:29

Stupid question, gentleman: Where can I find the planeswalkers? Deck manager? Or where, how? Thanks...
Harfenik

Postby drleg3nd » 31 Aug 2013, 19:36

Easiest place to chk them is riiak deck builder or if someone makes a deck with them (which I have but will update when I fix the kinks)
drleg3nd

Next

Return to 2014