80%
No
No votes
Only if i can request a sertan commander
20%

Total votes : 5

New idea

Postby silver1114 » 26 Jun 2014, 01:07

Hello i have ben playing magic for some time now and love the alt format EDH/commander.I was wondering if theres any way to program a pysdo comander zone using exile as the comand zone. As i have no clue how the game is programed i came up with two ways it might work

If we can activate a cards ability while it is in the deck we could simply exile it if it were in the deck with the ability to cast it frome exile any time we could cast a creature. this would only work if the game can look at each card in a deck and check for an ability.

fix the top card. Iknow there are cards that can be playe if they are in you ropening hand as long as the top card was you commander it would just exile itself then draw you a card. Big problem is you couldnt mulligen or the card would be sent to the bottem and i am not shor you can "fix" the top card in place and randomeise the rest of the deck.

well thats all i came uo with let me know if any of you think it is achevabel
PS
the comander card would have to me remade as to exile it self in each style so could we use a new creatur sub tyoe perhaps so the subtyp is changed
thanx
silver1114

Re: New idea

Postby RiiakShiNal » 26 Jun 2014, 02:44

First, you are not the first person to suggest approximating Commander/EDH using the Exile zone. There are problems associated with using Exile as the Command zone:
  • You would be able to cast the Commander from Exile even if you shouldn't be able to (for example an Oblivion Ring was used on the commander).
  • It would be possible to bring a commander from Exile to your hand or place it on the battlefield without casting it (and paying extra costs). This is not how it should behave.

As for your possible methods:
  1. Cards in Library can't have abilities activated on them (though triggered and static abilities can work) as the engine won't allow it. As such it is possible to have the "Commander" automatically be removed from the deck and placed in Exile at the beginning of the game (or be removed from hand and have another card placed in hand to replace it).
  2. You can't prevent the top card from being moved (for example from a mulligan).

Commander cards would have to be specifically written (you can't just use a regular card as a commander) as they would need the special "commander" code to work.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby silver1114 » 26 Jun 2014, 03:03

ok but if a comander was exiled you could (norlmaly would )put it into the comad zone so casting from the exile wouldnt be to far from corect

as for having to pay the extra 2 each time it was cast coud we keep track with counters some how.

iknow the cod is diffrent but they kept track of the chaos die in planchase. that would be a good place to start
silver1114

Postby MC Brodie » 26 Jun 2014, 11:59

I have a somewhat working version that I gave up on but I won't have access to my computer until next week. I can post it if someone wants to try and finish it. The version I havecorrectly tracks the number of times the commander was cast from the command zone. I ran into problems and broke my code when I tried to differentiate between Exile and the command zone by storing a number in a player chest. I didn't want to try and find time to figure out the problem.

So if someone is brave/smart enough to try and figure out my backwards thinking, I'll post what I have up somewhere. I think all that is left is to add the command zone functionality and some other minor tweaks to make it run smoother.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Song of the Day: 46 and 2 (cover)
MC Brodie

Postby RiiakShiNal » 26 Jun 2014, 12:15

silver1114 wrote:ok but if a comander was exiled you could (norlmaly would )put it into the comad zone so casting from the exile wouldnt be to far from corect
Except that since moving to the "Command Zone" is optional it could considerably change how certain effects work. For example with Oblivion Ring if an opponent casts Oblivion Ring on your commander and you have a Disenchant in your hand generally you would not move your commander to the "Command Zone" when you could simply use the Disenchant to bring it back this should also make it impossible to recast it if you decide to use the Disenchant for something else because you did not "opt" to move it to the "Command Zone". This was just one example another would be if the commander was bounced by something like Flicker. So you have to somehow differentiate between "Regular Exile" and "Command Zone Exile".

silver1114 wrote:as for having to pay the extra 2 each time it was cast coud we keep track with counters some how.

iknow the cod is diffrent but they kept track of the chaos die in planchase. that would be a good place to start
This is not that difficult to keep track of via a register in the player data chest and use a simple Int_Inc() whenever it is cast.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to 2014