It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:37

Text Size

Community Multiplayer Event?

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Are you interested in taking part? (Because of the options available, you can select 2.)

Yes, and I have the Steam version of the game.
29%
Yes, and I don't have the Steam version of the game.
21%
Maybe, but I'm not certain.
No votes
Yes, but only once.
No votes
Yes, and I'd be interested in a repeated event.
50%

Total votes : 14

Community Multiplayer Event?

Postby Xander9009 » 31 Aug 2015, 19:25

A small number of people have expressed an interest in playing together. This thread is meant to serve as a place to discuss the level of interest in that. And if that interest level is high enough, then the logistics of it.

To start with, I think that if we try and do something like a tournament, the best way to do it would be to everyone have all of the same files at all times during the runtime of the event. This would eliminate the need to handle switching out files in between duels. To make this easier, once we've all decided which decks we want to use, I can download those decks and pack everything into a single zip file for everyone to download. Then, in order to play, you'd need the CW Core+CW Art (which everyone can get beforehand), Riiak's Manual Mana (if ANYONE wants basic lands to have manual mana abilities, everyone will end up with them), and the Decks wad which I'll make.

I'll also make a simple tool to compare your game folder's game-loadable files to ensure they match what they should to avoid problems with that.

I have no idea if there are many people who would want to take part in this, but if so, please let me know. You can either respond here or on the IRC. For IRC, please note that if you leave a message there while I'm not at my computer, I'll get it later. Anyone who wants to talk about this possibility can do so in either place, but that place doesn't require an account (you choose a nickname, but that's it, and it's temporary).

I don't play against people very often, but if there's interest in it, I'd be up to participating.
Last edited by Xander9009 on 12 Sep 2015, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Xander9009
Programmer

Re: Community Multiplayer Event?

Postby Xander9009 » 31 Aug 2015, 23:12

You can make a copy of your game folder to keep your main game unaffected. To assist with this, I've made a very simple tool to copy the game to a new folder. I'd like for someone to test it out for me so I can make sure it's working.

It'll make sure the files are the right size as it goes. There's a readme inside, and it's extremely simple to use. Extract the folder somewhere where the program will be able to write to, and drop your game folder onto it. If it says you're missing something, you can drop it into the created folder and try again. It'll see it in the new folder without needing to modify your main game folder. I've included just a few decks to make sure the thing works.

Direct download link
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby nachonal986 » 01 Sep 2015, 13:11

I'm interested and trying to help here.

As Xander said, if someone wanna play online with CW, please post his intention here.
nachonal986

Postby Xander9009 » 01 Sep 2015, 13:36

Borborigmos is also interested.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby nachonal986 » 01 Sep 2015, 22:13

well I was checking some info about the best way to be connected.

First of all the "best way" never will be perfect, but its possible to be close of that.

There exist to type of user who play the game:

1. Steam Users
Those users had the original game, and can enter with his account of steam and play normally.

2. Non Steam
Versions cracked of the game (pirate).

The best choice to select what type of game will be used, should be the second choice.
why?
Because anyway we will use CW, not allowed officially, and if we will use a room (server) must to be a private one for this particular version. And for new users maybe will have hard think to pay U$34 only for play a custom game version where we not have clear how much are really interested, like Xander said.

So the tool should be added the specials files to run the non steam version for who have the official one, so you can play normal or with CW. because you will have two folders of the game.

Now what we need test??
The server connection

The non steam version, have a way to connect to internet thanks emusteam program + a custom server. For the custom server we have two popular programs to create it.

1. Hamachi
PROS
- Is more simple to install and work.

CONS
- Is neccesary edit a .ini of steamemu adding all the ips of each user in hamachi joined in the room. so this file must to be the same like the others btw each player to can play.

2. Tunngle
PROS
- You don't need edit .ini file that Hamachi needed.

CONS
- Some user could have problem in the installation of the network adapter to detect the custom room.

For now I'll try to test the tunngle alternative, and if its stable, should be the way of play, if not... hamachi I think.
nachonal986

Postby Borborigmos » 02 Sep 2015, 06:02

Xander9009 wrote:Borborigmos is also interested.
Yes I am. S0rry I meant this week to sort it out but work has been abnormally crazy this week and when I get home I can't use my brain lol

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll make the copy of my original folder and basically copy what you guys have.

Cheers :)
Borborigmos

Postby nguyenxthinh » 02 Sep 2015, 18:55

nachonal986 wrote:2. Tunngle

CONS
- Some user could have problem in the installation of the network adapter to detect the custom room.
About the problem, Evolve can be a good choice. :D
nguyenxthinh

Postby Borborigmos » 08 Sep 2015, 07:19

Hey Xander

Would you be around tonight? I'm trying to set up my folder for multiplayer :)
Borborigmos

Postby Xander9009 » 08 Sep 2015, 10:44

Most likely, yes. I just got home and so far have no plans for tonight.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby Xander9009 » 08 Sep 2015, 21:56

I'm free now. I'm on IRC, but no one is on. A couple of people (including you) logged on, but didn't stay on long enough for me to notice. I was getting the new website set up again (it had a hiccup and had to be recreated from scratch).
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby MasterXploder7 » 12 Sep 2015, 02:53

Since decks in the CW Decks are rather unbalanced should we have certain decks that we should label "tournament legal"?

I understand the conservative way is to let people decide that if they pick a sucky deck its their fault. However i feel this would be more fun. I know that the decks in 2013 were so very balanced and i would like to follow that model of balance. I would love to take part in this, thats why I am butting in.

If we decide on a format i feel that the "duels" format be followed (copies of cards based on rarity) simply because it is what most of the games follow (i also feel that Lands should be an exception to the format rarity rule).

tell me what you guys would like and i will make "tournament decks" for people, i will do my best to involve all the color possibilities on request.
"Hate is an everlasting wellspring from which it is eternally sustained." - Nirkana Revenant
MasterXploder7

Postby nachonal986 » 12 Sep 2015, 03:20

well, until now we are stuck trying to work CW on multiplayer way by No Steam... with no luck... there is the threat about this issue viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17676
Tunngle works ok, but without mods (SmartSteamEmu is the problem), so while no get to work, hardly we can think in rules, although aren't bad your ideas.

By other way, Xander would be nice if you can add a survey on this threat about the interest playing online with CW, maybe the option could be:

1. Yes I'm interested, I have original steam game.
2. Yes I'm interested, I don't have original steam game (is cracked).
3. I prefer play Origins Duels, so I'm not interested.
nachonal986

Postby Xander9009 » 12 Sep 2015, 03:54

Poll added.

As for the rules, I'm not really a fan of the rarity rule. My main reason is that you can only have one copy of a mythic card, but you can still have many mythic cards. I think a better way to go would be to have restrictions on the number of each rarity in the deck total rather than per card. However, that's just my opinion.

As for any other legality options, in paper magic, I play Modern, so that's what I'm most comfortable with. Although Legacy is okay, I feel that Modern leaves decks a little more balanced against one another because of the way Wizards seems to have changed their method of developing new cards after that point. I'm open to whatever everyone else wants to do, though.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby MasterXploder7 » 12 Sep 2015, 05:04

When buying from MTG ive noticed they use limited rarity. With preconstructed decks they have 2 rares a handful of uncommons and the rest is just commons.

With their "(??)VS(??)" series - it is 1 mythic per deck, a mix of rares and the rest are commons and uncommons.

This changes with Commander sets and with their ghostly and rare tournament decks. like the "graveborn" deck pack which is worth a good deal of money now (unopened).

another option is "Block decks" - they would have themes. they would be a little more balanced since ever block has had its own "gimmick"
"Hate is an everlasting wellspring from which it is eternally sustained." - Nirkana Revenant
MasterXploder7

Postby Xander9009 » 13 Sep 2015, 14:08

I'm a mathematician at heart, so I took this on from that perspective. I ran through a few different methods of making rarity actually count for something, and what I came to seems like a balanced but still very open method. It's also one I generally hate, but it would probably work really well.

Point buy. First up, the idea. Each rarity is worth a certain number of points. You have a certain number of points to spend equal to the total size of your deck. That's it.

B - 0 (basics)
C - 1
U - 2
R - 4
M - 8

This works out such that you can feasibly only have 1 mythic or two rares, unless you want almost your ENTIRE deck made up of commons (including land). If you want some uncommons to get some good nonbasics, you're stuck with 1 mythic or 2 rares. However, you can have 3 mythic rares if you have a 63 card deck containing 60 commons. As you add cards, the chances of drawing any particular one go down and the total number of points you have to spend go up to keep it balanced.

Whether or not a given mythic rare should only be allowed once would restrict it a bit more, but with that setup, I think it would probably be unnecessary.

Unfortunately, this is a lot more complicated (thought still not too bad). So are we more interested in better balance or simple balance? I probably lean more towards simple balance (meaning 1 mythic/2 rares and 10(?) uncommons, or something similar).
Xander9009
Programmer

Next

Return to 2014