It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:03

Text Size

Multiplayer Dementia

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Multiplayer Dementia

Postby indibidguidibil » 30 Oct 2015, 20:50

I'm at the wit's end.

Some time ago I tried with a friend (both of us have the original Steam game) a pack of modded decks. It went great. Recently I've discovered the new ones and we decided to play with them. And let me tell you that it's been annoying as hell.

I've tried everything and multiplayer doesn't work. I even looked through the packs to find the ones that forced errors at the startup of the game. I looked through his folder and confronted it with mine to look for differences (missing wads, different filesizes etc.). I've tried countless combinations. Nothing works. If I try the public multiplayer, we get an error as soon as he tries to join the game. If I try the custom game option, I get the error when I choose the "free play" option. The Dll and the community wad is there, the art is there, the packs and content pack are there. At this point I've reinstalled the game and to try and take it one step at a time.

Any suggestions?
indibidguidibil

Re: Multiplayer Dementia

Postby migookman » 31 Oct 2015, 03:06

Check and be sure that the community wad is up to date. If you are using a lot of the modded decks, try adding a few at a time so it would be easier to see which deck may be causing problems.
migookman

Postby RiiakShiNal » 06 Nov 2015, 19:32

Public multiplayer and free play will always crash with modded games because the first person to connect will not have the same WADs and thus generate a bad scenario resulting in a crash. Only private multiplayer games can be set up and even then all players who are joining must have exactly the same WADs (this means all of the WADs including deck, CPE, and unlocking mods).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby p3hndrx » 06 Nov 2015, 22:16

What is the difference between Free Play and public multiplayer?

Which mode is Private Multiplayer? Ad Hoc?
~p3hndrx
p3hndrx

Postby indibidguidibil » 06 Nov 2015, 23:39

RiiakShiNal wrote:Public multiplayer and free play will always crash with modded games because the first person to connect will not have the same WADs and thus generate a bad scenario resulting in a crash. Only private multiplayer games can be set up and even then all players who are joining must have exactly the same WADs (this means all of the WADs including deck, CPE, and unlocking mods).
Some months ago I've discovered the modding scene, installed the Thefiremind's decks and I was able to play without any glitch with my partner (in public multiplayer). Nowadays it's impossible (and the frustrating part is that it was possible once). As I said, I even made sure we had the exact same files, to the letter (not only Wads, but also art and others).

Do you mean "custom match" option when referring to private?
indibidguidibil

Postby RiiakShiNal » 07 Nov 2015, 15:28

What I am referring to when I say a private match is that you do a "Create Match" set any open positions to "Private" then "Invite" the other players with exactly the same mods. "Custom Match" does not equate to a "Private Match".

The only known way to do multiplayer with mods currently is using the "Create Match" setting open positions to "Private" then inviting players known to have the exact same mods as you.

When DotP 2014 was still brand new it was actually possible to do multiplayer with different mods, but that was closed because people were using it to cheat (there was at least one video with someone pulling out an Eldrazi on turn 2 without sufficient mana, they only tapped 1 land for something like It That Betrays). The person recording the match was playing an unmodded game.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to 2014