It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:32

Text Size

Help with large decks on DotP 2014

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Help with large decks on DotP 2014

Postby LinkFX » 20 Jan 2016, 06:42

I've recently got into modding Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, being completely oblivious to the possibilities and I've been pleasantly surprised to find such a great community of dedicated modders and players such as this.

After experimenting with Riiak Shi Nal's excellent Deck Builder for DotP 2014 and trying out some of the decks made by the community I set out to make a large deck I have based around Slivers and Battle of Wits for fun, only to be frustrated by the apparent limitations of the built-in deck editor.

Now the Deck Editor in DotP enforces a 100 card limit, preventing you from saving changes, however decks made with Riiak's Deck Builder do not suffer from the limitation. However, it appears the game can only load up to 255 cards. Any more than this is ignored by game.

So therein lies my question! Does anyone know how to bypass such limitations in order to create arbitrarily large decks? Would it be possible perhaps to extract the Core WAD files and decompile and change the code behind the ingame Deck Editor to remove the limitations? I've gotten as far as locating the relevant files, but could not succeed in decompiling them.

Another thing. The game seems to bit a glitchy with decks above 100 cards. I have managed to make sub-100 decks and prevent the ingame Deck Editor from adding lands automatically, however for any decks over 100 lands the game stubbornly ignores the <LandConfig ignoreCmcOver="0" /> tag and adds extra lands of its own accord, ruining the deck. Worst still, as the deck has more than a hundred cards, you cannot save after manually removing them.

Does anyone know a good workaround for this? Either to prevent the game from adding lands or have it save the deck without lands, so it can least be played with up to 255 cards?

Thank you very much for your assistance, and I'd greatly appreciate an answer from our more knowledgeable members! :D

Here are some pictures showcasing the issues (forgive me the lack of URLs, the forum did not let me make links).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Problem: Ingame Deck Editor adding lands to the deck on its own.
i.imgur/MjfQiXm.jpg

Lands manually removed, Ingame Deck Editor will not load more than 255 cards.
i.imgur/rrEagXv.jpg

Ingame Deck Editor refuses to save changes. Any ideas?
i.imgur/HOWTql4.jpg
LinkFX

Re: Help with large decks on DotP 2014

Postby RiiakShiNal » 20 Jan 2016, 11:28

DotP 2014 only really supports decks up to 100 non-basic land cards. This limit is across the main deck and all unlocks. DotP 2013 allowed up to 127 non-basic land cards, but that limit was shaved to 100 in DotP 2014. This is partially due to the unique deckOrderIds used to make decks. The game only supports up to 7-bit values as the 8th bit is reserved for whether the card is in the deck or not (used by the in-game deck manager). There are no ways to bypass this limitation, trying to bypass it can cause odd/weird errors in game (such as hundreds of copies of a single card, other cards missing, etc...). The limitation is hard coded, so without the source code of the game we can't remove it (it's not in the Lua/LOL files). The Deck Builder does not enforce the limits to keep it as flexible as possible.

If you make your main deck more than 60 cards then you have to manually add the land you want to the main deck as the game will only auto-add land up to a 60 card main deck. With decks over 100 cards you will encounter errors in-game that can't be compensated for.

You will be able to add URLs once you have reached 5 posts at which point you will be a regular member instead of a limited member.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to 2014