It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:50

Text Size

somebody wanna play online here?

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

somebody wanna play online here?

Postby nachonal986 » 23 Feb 2017, 22:35

I know, there exist many thread about how play online with CW, but would be nice have only one to do invitations.

I don't know what app is the best to play with those decks, If somebody is interested, let me know.

Cya

P.S: Maybe we can do a tournament, who knows
nachonal986

Re: somebody wanna play online here?

Postby Xander9009 » 25 Feb 2017, 00:37

For reference, scytale figured out what should be a working method of playing multiplayer.
Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker.

I just spent all of today trying to find an answer to this very question. I had it figured out, so I registered here to spread the word.

Short answer is, don't go to multiplayer lobby. Just go shift + tab and that's it. Long answer:

1. Have several instances of the exact same version of the game with exact same mods installed on several PCs;
2. Have steamemu set up on all of them as per standard instructions. No need to add additional DLC entries to steamemu.ini;
3. Have the PCs be on the same LAN or have them connected through tunngle;
4. Launch the game on all machines, have one of them host the game;
5. To join that game don't go to multiplayer lobby, as that will crash the game. Just press shift + tab in the main menu. That's it, the game will proceed to join the multiplayer lobby.
6. Have fun.

Cheers
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby nachonal986 » 25 Feb 2017, 01:56

wow excellent news!

Do you remember when we try to play online two years ago? always crash...
"5. To join that game don't go to multiplayer lobby, as that will crash the game. Just press shift + tab in the main menu. That's it, the game will proceed to join the multiplayer lobby."

so, if you or anybody wanna play, I'll waiting, I wanna test my decks like good times 17 years ago...
nachonal986

Postby scytale » 28 Feb 2017, 23:17

Count me in. A proper 4 player 2hg or ffa sounds like fun, I've only had duels for awhile.

At home I have the game set up on two laptops hooked to the same WI FI router and hence on the same LAN. We play dotp2014 occasionaly with my son. Over the internet we'd all have to use Tunngle or other similar service, but it's a relatively minor inconvinience.

This brings me to a potential problem. If I understand correctly we'll all need identical mods installed on our PCs. I didn't test this by the way so maybe it is possible to succesfully run magic with different mods for each player. Maybe there's a trick to it or a mod could be created to adress this.

So here's the porblem I see, we'd all have to use the same mod setup. I currently run two mod packs:

NivMizzet1's Deck Mods -- 55 Decks [4 NEW, 16 Jan 17]
NivMizzet1's OP Deck Mods -- 5 Decks [24 Nov 16]

Do you have ideas what the good all-around mod list should be?

At home It took me very little time to set up a second PC, I just copied all the same mod files, including the community wad to the game folder and I even used the smartsteamemu.ini I copied from the first PC and it worked fine.

So my suggestion is, we could create a large modpack with all the necessary files so that the user could just download the archive, drop all the files into the game folder and play.
scytale

Postby Xander9009 » 28 Feb 2017, 23:32

While I've never successfully played a modded game, I'd be willing to bet it's necessary for the game folders to match.

There are a few ways the issue could be addressed, including the one you mentioned: simply making a single mod-pack that everyone involved uses.

Another method, which is a bit more complicated but also much more flexible, is to use the multiplayer tool I made awhile back. It would need to be updated, but it should hypothetically work once fixed. The idea with it is that you run the tool before starting the game. It gives you an ID number (or you can tell it one, which can be your username or anything else you want). You tell it any IDs you want to consider as potential opponents, and it installs anything that player has but you don't. With that, you could install any decks you want to play with, tell it you're going to play against Xander9009, and click sync. It'll tell you when it's done (should generally only take a few seconds), and that's it. You can start the game, and play against me (as long as I did the same on my end).

Another method would be to simply tell each other which decks you plan to use ahead of time, and only have those decks installed. It's basically the same as my tool, except more basic (so less likely to mess up because of bad (my) programming) and not automated (so more time-consuming and prone to human error).

There's may be a couple other methods that I haven't thought of, as well.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby scytale » 01 Mar 2017, 08:46

I like the idea of a multiplayer sync tool a lot. It may require lots of work but it is very promising. On the other hand, I think we should strive towards something more restricted and plug and play. Otherwise, we will require way too much coordination before the game can even start.

Your tool reminds me of FAF, a mod for a great strategy game, supreme commander. Essentially, it is a multiplayer lobby, a community mod, additional mods and maps repository all in one. Do check it sometime if not for the gameplay (which is awesome) then just to look at the interface and features.

They also have many great features implemented such as global rating for players (similar to ELO as used in chess community) that is mathematically calculated based on every game you played and gives you an idea of how good a particular opponent is.

Having something like that would be awesome and I'm sure would bring lots of people to this game. This may be overly ambitious, but a man can dream, right?

In the meantime if you need someplace to start, feel free to PM me, I'll try to set up a tunngle test game between ourselves as proof of concept. We’ll also need some sort of voice communication tool such as skype.
scytale

Postby Xander9009 » 01 Mar 2017, 09:05

I'm going to be busy the next few days. The earliest I'd have is Saturday at best, and even that's not certain. However, I've actually got a roommate here that has the game and the CW. I've also got unlimited data on my phone, so we can be on different networks to make sure Tuungle is working properly. If I run into any major issues, then I'll definitely PM you, thanks.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby nivmizzet1 » 18 May 2017, 12:33

scytale wrote:I currently run two mod packs:

NivMizzet1's Deck Mods -- 55 Decks [4 NEW, 16 Jan 17]
NivMizzet1's OP Deck Mods -- 5 Decks [24 Nov 16]

Awesome! This is really cool to see. I'm glad there are still other people using my mods :)
If you don't mind me asking, are there any decks in my mod that you think are clearly OP or underpowered (excluding the OP deck mods of course)? It's not easy to gauge without being able to play-test against another human, but I try my best to balance them :(

I'd be interested in multiplayer too (I really want to test my decks), but I don't have a lot of time and my timezone probably doesn't make things any easier. However, if there was a user-friendly method that allowed opportunistic matches (rather than lots of organisation and planning) I'd be keen.
nivmizzet1

Postby nivmizzet1 » 18 May 2017, 12:34

nachonal986 wrote: wanna test my decks like good times 17 years ago...
Yeah, I really want to test my decks too!
nivmizzet1

Return to 2014