It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:54

Text Size

changing window size of the Dotp 2014 Deck Builder by Riiak

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

changing window size of the Dotp 2014 Deck Builder by Riiak

Postby terrysong » 31 Mar 2021, 23:18

Hi, I have a question about the Riiak's Dotp 2014 Deck Builder.

I downloaded the latest 64-bit version, 1.5.0.3, and here is how it looks like

Screenshot 2021-03-31 161517.jpg

The red circled area has only one row visible, this really hinders me from browsing cards.

Now, I tried to change the window size. However, I was only able to change the width of the window, meaning that I can put my mouse to the arrow A and drag it left and right. But I cannot drag up and down from arrow B to make the bottom window larger.

How can I make the red circled deck area larger so that I can browse more cards at a time?

thanks!
terrysong

Re: changing window size of the Dotp 2014 Deck Builder by Ri

Postby RiiakShiNal » 05 Apr 2021, 02:20

Based on the screen shot both the Deck Builder and Windows think the window is maximized (i.e. using all available screen space). There is no special code for enlarging the window, it basically just uses the standard .Net code for window resizing.

As for making the window larger the best way is to increase the resolution (or lower the scaling used). When I originally wrote the Deck Builder it was designed for relatively large resolutions (personally I use 1920x1200, a 16:10 aspect ratio). At the time it was assumed that everyone using it would have a screen capable of at least 1280x1024 (though technology and assumptions have changed over time).

I have seen and heard of this issue with people using the Deck Builder on low resolution screens (such as tablets), though as of current if it is using your entire screen there is not much you can do, due to the way the Deck Builder was constructed. One of the changes I had planned was to allow for scaling, turning off the preview, or detaching it, but I haven't touched the code in quite a while so whether I get back to working on the Deck Builder is an open question.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby terrysong » 05 Apr 2021, 10:53

My screen resolution is 3840*1600. Is it possible that this is due to the windows 10 automatically make program fonts larger? Is there a way to fix this without recoding the deckbuilder?

thanks
terrysong

Postby RiiakShiNal » 19 Apr 2021, 11:11

terrysong wrote:My screen resolution is 3840*1600. Is it possible that this is due to the windows 10 automatically make program fonts larger? Is there a way to fix this without recoding the deckbuilder?
If your screen resolution is 3840x1600 then the problem is probably with the scale (text, apps, and other items) you are using in your display settings. Your scale is probably set to 175% or 200% which is why you're not getting much screen space for the Deck Builder. If you reduce your scale you should be able to see more in the window. I typically use 100% scaling (i.e. no scaling) so my text and images are smaller and take up less space on the screen than if I ran at a higher scaling.

On a 4K screen (like you have) 100% scaling can make things quite small depending on the size of your screen so you could always try just dropping the scaling one level (reducing by 25%, so from 175% -> 150%) and see how things look for you. I've always found the primary advantage of higher resolutions is being able to see more on the screen at one time (which is why I use 100% scaling even on 4K screens).

There might be a way to tell Windows to not scale the Deck Builder, but I don't currently know how to do that.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby terrysong » 20 Apr 2021, 16:46

you are right, I do have 200% scale, in fact, its 250%
If I set it lower than that everything is too small, the texts would not be recognizable (I guess age does that).

So I guess I have to choose between inconvenience and unrecognizable then. Anyway, thanks for replying and I appreciate that.
terrysong

Postby RiiakShiNal » 21 Apr 2021, 02:23

terrysong wrote:you are right, I do have 200% scale, in fact, its 250%
If I set it lower than that everything is too small, the texts would not be recognizable (I guess age does that).
So either a small screen or an old fogy (like me). I just happen to be near-sighted so small text doesn't really bother me (in fact it actually helps when coding since I can see more code at once).

terrysong wrote:So I guess I have to choose between inconvenience and unrecognizable then. Anyway, thanks for replying and I appreciate that.
Technically, you don't have to choose, since the Deck Builder is fully open source you could download the source and make changes to the program yourself (for example using the form designer to resize and/or move around the controls on the main DeckBuilder window). Nowadays with current versions of Visual Studio (which you can get for free from Microsoft, community versions) the form designer is easier to use and can have more options in how to adjust the controls' positions (with better auto-adjustments).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby terrysong » 23 Apr 2021, 03:33

ahh sorry but I'm completely ignorant about programming. I don't even know how to compile the source code...:(
terrysong

Return to 2014