It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:09

Text Size

[check-fixed new update]Illusionary Mask

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[check-fixed new update]Illusionary Mask

Postby Aswan jaguar » 30 Jul 2013, 16:52

Describe the Bug:
All the bugs at least happen when AI has the Illusionary Mask.(I didn't check for human)
If you missed Illusionary Mask :mrgreen: here you go :
1- If you deal damage to face down creature through ping it doesn't turn up as it should and receive the damage,the damage is still applied to the face down creature.The same happens in combat damage the damage is dealt to the face down creature and the face down deals the damage while the face up creature has to deal and be dealt the damage.
The card text says "if it would...." so the assign,deal damage,be dealt damage,becomes tapped, have instead to concern the face up creature.

EDITED 2- Not only the face down creature is dealt the damage but the faced up card the turn it faces up (or more turns)is indestructible or something and AI knows that.

3- AI is able to turn it up for no apparent reason at least I have seen it do that in 2nd main phase,maybe AI (uses a trick with the combat zone and still has the face up creature untapped)?

For untap it seems to work fine.

Which card did behave improperly ?
Illusionary Mask

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
ML3-ODYSSEY.V2

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
1- When the face down creature is going to assign damage,deal damage,be dealt damage,become tapped(but nothing of that has yet happened,it is just declared/targeted) INSTEAD it faces up firstly and THEN it assigns,deals damage,is dealt damage or becomes tapped.So if face down creature (ex.Combat Medic) is targeted by a Zuran Spellcaster (would be dealt damage) it is faced up and the damage 1 is dealt to Combat Medic not the face down creature.
2- If it is faced it doesn't have indestructibility.
3- AI can't turn it up at will,only when would assign damage or deal damage,be dealt damage or become tapped.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?

Rules Advisor explaining things | Open
Mar 15, 2011 -- 7:18PM, FunWithSquee wrote:

Hello. My first scenario is this. I have a Norin the Wary[ brought into play with Illusionary Mask. When I go to attack with Norin will he be turned face up and be exiled by his own ability or will he already have been declared as an attacker? (and thus not exile himself) More specifically, is tapping it during the declare attckers step enough to satisfy the condition for exiling it?

Norin the Wary will be exiled

Normally, the process for declaring an attacker is as follows (this is abbreviated to show only what's relevant in your scenario):

The attacking player picks which creatures will attack and what they will attack
The player taps the chosen creatures
The creatures have now been declared as attackers, and any relevant abilities trigger.

With a creature that is face down due to Illusionary Mask , this process is modified:

The attacking player picks which creatures will attack and what they will attack
The player turns norin the wary face up and taps the chosen creatures
The creatures have now been declared as attackers, and any relevant abilities trigger.

Since norin is face up by the time we get to that third step, it's ability will trigger.
Rulebook Quote Show

My second question has to do with Illusionary Mask and the Legend Rule. (704.5k) My opponent has Brion Stoutarm in play, and I put my own Stoutarm into play with Illusionary Mask. He attacks with his Brion Stoutarm and I block with my face-down Stoutarm. Since combat damage no longer uses the stack would my Stoutarm turn face up and they would kill each other via combat damage, or would they both be put into the graveyard before damage resolves. I personally think that the legend rule would apply while the creatures are assigning combat damage, but I'm not sure.

They will both deal combat damage, and then they will both die. Their death is simultaneously caused by having lethal damage, and by the legend rule.

Normally, the sequence as the combat damage step starts would be as follows:

Both creatures assign damage equal to their power
Both creatures deal damage equal to the amount assigned. Thanks to lifelink, life is gained too.
The game checks state-based actions (which include the legend rule and destroying a creature due to lethal damage).

With mask involved, this gets modified like this

Your Brion Stoutarm turns face up and both creatures assign damage equal to their power. [color]The legend rule can not apply yet.[/color]
Both creatures deal damage equal to the amount assigned. Thanks to lifelink, life is gained too.
The game checks state-based actions (which include the legend rule and destroying a creature due to lethal damage).

This next question is along the same lines. My opponent has a legendary creature out, and I play the same legendary creature using Illusionary Mask. If my opponent uses Lightning Bolt on my face-down creature would the legend rule apply before or after the damage is dealt?

The legend rule will be checked immediately after lightning bolt finishes resolving.

A follow-up question: If Lightning Bolt does deal the damage and it destroys my creature, would my opponent's legendary creature still be unaffected?

At the exact same time that your creature is destroyed by lethal damage, both legendary permanents will be put into their owner's graveyards.
Rules Advisor
Attachments
illusionary mask.jpg
vesuvan doppelganger-illusionary mask.rar
The faced up Icatian Lieutenamt has been dealt 3 damage=lethal but is still on the battlefield 2 turn after faced up.
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by BAgate on 03 Feb 2014, 18:16, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: checked-fixed new update
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: Illusionary Mask

Postby Gargaroz » 30 Jul 2013, 16:57

Old cards with crappy ruling are crappy. I'll try to fix this, but just reading the actual ruling gives me the headache.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby Aswan jaguar » 30 Jul 2013, 17:01

See the Rules advisor I attached it explains it really nice.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Aswan jaguar » 05 Aug 2013, 06:31

Also one more rule has changed and you can't cast a white for example card spending no white mana,so you can't spend {X} colourless mana for coloured spells
rulings:
10/1/2009 Both the amount and types of mana you spend on {X} are taken into account while you're choosing a creature card from your hand. For example, if you spent {U}{U} on {X}, you can choose a creature card with mana cost {U}{U}, {1}{U}, {2}, or {W/U}{W/U}, among other possibilities, but not one that costs {2}{U} or one that costs {G}.

EDIT: I also didn't notice earlier that if the face down creature dies(as we said that should never happen-the original creatures receives the damage and dies) the original(probably) card goes to graveyard and an indestructible "copy of the original"? one stays on the battlefield (I can't even bury that through debug!!! and think that you can even debug/bury the Engine card)
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 05 Aug 2013, 06:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add edit few minutes later
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Gargaroz » 05 Aug 2013, 13:24

All fixed (I hope).
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Return to Archived Reports