It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:40

Text Size

[fix/closed]Boldwyr Intimidator bad interaction Figure of De

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[fix/closed]Boldwyr Intimidator bad interaction Figure of De

Postby Korath » 11 Aug 2016, 21:32

Describe the Bug:
Boldwyr Intimidator's activation to change a creature into a Warrior removes all other creature subtypes whether those were added before or after the Intimidator's ability resolved.

Which card did behave improperly ?
Boldwyr Intimidator. Possibly just Figure of Destiny, but I don't think so, and it should be tested with something using the general codepath like Sensei Golden-Tail.

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
Dev, shortly past EMN. Absolutely no reason to think it's not in release.

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
It's correct that it removes other creature subtypes that the creature had when the ability resolved. It's not that it prevents new subtypes from being afterward.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
(Almost) everything that replaces creature subtypes.

As observed, a Figure of Destiny was changed into a Warrior by the Intimidator, then activated its third ability to become a Kithkin Spirit Warrior Avatar (without ever activating its first or second abilities). It's not getting the Spirit bonuses from Drogskol Captain, which initially misled me into thinking that Figure of Destiny's third ability only added Avatar. It's more easily and specifically testable with Engineered Plague or something similar with "choose a creature type", since they let you see all subtypes on a given creature.
figure-of-destiny.jpg

Related but internally separate bug: Figure of Destiny, and probably Warden of the First Tree and Ageless Sentinels, don't replace previous creature subtypes added by something else. Ageless Sentinels doesn't even replace its own Wall subtype.
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 18 Apr 2018, 13:44, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: fixed/closed in dev the remaining non original bugs about Warden of the First Tree and Ageless Sentinels reported seperately
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: Boldwyr Intimidator activation wrong timestamp

Postby BAgate » 12 Aug 2016, 01:27

Engineered Plague in play set to Samurai. Gaea's Anthem in play. If you target a creature with Sensai Golden-Tail first and then Boldwyr Intimidator's coward ability Engineered Plague doesn't affect the creature. If you use Boldwyr Intimidator first and Sensai Golden-Tail second then it does.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Korath » 12 Aug 2016, 03:29

So this is probably an interaction between forcing a subtype and Figure of Destiny's (and similar cards') specific hacks.

(You don't need to actually get the Engineered Plague onto the battlefield, by the way, just get into its menu option for "choose from creature".)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby BAgate » 12 Aug 2016, 04:26

Getting it in play is quicker for multiple tests. And actually, you do (or something else is wrong). Maybe it's the hacks, but types don't always show up for selection. At least I've noticed that in Figure of Destiny and Warden of the First Tree.
BAgate
Tester

Postby Korath » 12 Aug 2016, 05:12

I was going to write "If the types don't show up for selection, it's because they're not there, that's the whole point", except that it's not. Any reasonable person would think the select-a-subtype function checks for subtypes that are on the creature, like it says it does, but the damn thing's just cut-and-pasted between the two functions. And of course they don't match each other anymore.

Sigh. Cutting and pasting is not programming. It is the opposite of programming. If I could wire electrodes to everybody's Ctrl and V keys, so they'd get zapped if they tried it, believe me, I'd be there. Don't Repeat Yourself. Avoiding duplication isn't laziness, it's sanity.

OK, rant over, sorry.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby BAgate » 12 Aug 2016, 05:23

So do we need a separate bug on that? And should the original bug be classified a Figure of Destiny problem or a forced type problem?
BAgate
Tester

Postby Korath » 12 Aug 2016, 05:29

Unless you can identify specific cases where they're different, it's not a bug, just infuriating. And yes, this is a bad interaction between A) force-a-subtype and B) specifically Figure of Destiny and the other cards that are special-cased in one or both of those functions because they need to add more than one subtype.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: [confirmed]Boldwyr Intimidator bad interaction Figure of

Postby Aswan jaguar » 12 Aug 2016, 07:11

I noticed something else that seems only visual though.Activate Boldwyr Intimidator and make target creature either coward or warrior then activate Sensei Golden-Tail ability and make that creature also samurai.Then play Engineered Plague and choose a creature type from that creature you will see that in menu there is also elemental type besides coward or warrior and samurai.However although elemental type can be selected and Engineered Plague will affect elemental cards it doesn't affect that creature so it doesn't have elemental type in reality.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 12 Aug 2016, 08:06

And that inconsistency turns it into a (separate) bug, and the thread should split.

A bit more of a motivating factor: if and when this subsystem is fixed to reliably return a list of subtype_t's that a given card has, I've got a function already written for Shandalar, easily portable to Manalink, that'll let us display a card's current status on its type line. This can admittedly get a bit out of hand.
typeline-of-destiny.jpg
I had to bump up decrementBigCardSubtitle in my Duel.dat to squeeze it all in.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 12 Aug 2016, 08:53

Such an amazing feature! =D> I will have to keep my magnifying glass in reach if types get that long.I really want to see what you came up with creature gains all creature types. :lol:
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Gargaroz » 16 Sep 2016, 20:28

Ok, so the problem was Figure of Deastini that was fixed in 944e4ac
Similar cases are Ageless Sentinels (fixed in 410b52d) and Warden of the First Tree (fixed in 6b97a42)
About the mess in our hackings about special cases & creature types, everything was streamlined and fixed.
As for Boldwyr Intimidator, is fine.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Return to Archived Reports