It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:53

Text Size

[fixed]Rakdos Ickspitter - activated ability has no effect

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[fixed]Rakdos Ickspitter - activated ability has no effect

Postby Blyfycyfyfyf » 12 Nov 2021, 12:34

Describe the Bug
Rakdos Ickspitter has an ability to deal damage to target create. However after activating the ability there is no effect; the ability goes into the stack, Rakdos Ickspitter becomes tapped, but there is no option to select any target.

The bug is reapeatable.

Unfortunately I cannot attach a savegame - saving game has no effect - the dialog window with "Save" button appears, but the game is not saved at the given location. I also tried opening Magic.exe as an administrator and changing the folder, but still no game is saved.

Which update are you using? (date, name)
March 2021 - Allegiances and Alliances v1.1

[b]Which type? (duel, gauntlet, sealed deck

Standard Duel.

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction?
Rakdos Ickspitter should be able to target a creature and "shoot" it.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug?
-
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 12 Nov 2021, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed
Blyfycyfyfyf

Re: Rakdos Ickspitter - activated ability has no effect

Postby Korath » 12 Nov 2021, 12:49

Thanks for the report. The ickspitter looks like it's just telling generic_activated_ability() that it has zero targets, so not having a savegame isn't a problem.

I suspect I know what caused your problem with saving - a buffer overrun with @CREATURE_TYPE in Text.res - and it's already been fixed in the development version.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Blyfycyfyfyf » 12 Nov 2021, 14:25

Thanks for quick reply.

About the saving - can you please tell me what to change in this file? So next time I will report a bug I can attach a saved game :)

BTW, thanks for doing the great work, I discovered Manalink just recently and I love it! I still have the original Duels of the Planeswalkers and The Spells of Ancients on the CD and tens of thousands MtG cards somewhere in my closet...
Blyfycyfyfyf

Postby Korath » 12 Nov 2021, 14:42

There's a line in it reading "@CREATURE_TYPE", followed by a line reading "274". If you lower that number to something below 250, and remove the same number of lines from the end of the list of creature types that follow it, it should stop overwriting the memory that stores the path to the directory the game autosaves in. (The manual "save" option just copies the most recent autosave to the location you select.)

This isn't how it was fixed in development - we instead made the temporary buffer the creature type text is read into larger - so this is entirely untested. Removing the text instead of increasing storage means the strings for those creature types won't get initialized, so the game will likely crash if it tries to display one. That's unlikely to happen - the ones at the end are for sets that haven't been put into the game yet - but some of them, like Bard, Egg, Ranger, and Shark, have been put onto older cards. The game might also fail to start up at all, since it'll still try to copy uninitialized memory into the strings' final locations.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Blyfycyfyfyf » 12 Nov 2021, 15:22

Thank you, it worked :)
Blyfycyfyfyf

Re: [confirm]Rakdos Ickspitter - activated ability has no ef

Postby Aswan jaguar » 12 Nov 2021, 18:08

Fixed in commit 3f87c76.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Archived Reports