It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:26

Text Size

[fixed/closed]Cycling cards when activated crash game

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[fixed/closed]Cycling cards when activated crash game

Postby Aswan jaguar » 11 Aug 2016, 16:31

Describe the Bug:
AI has problem with cycling cards and that causes crashes.I firstly noticed that Tranquil Thicket then I had more problems in a deck with both Polluted Mire and Dirge of Dread.They will crash AI even if they are the second card from top in AI's library.They will crash the game of course if they are in hand and AI has enough mana to activate or play them.
*of course you should have AI enabled to use rules engine card.
editI just tested and the same happens if I activate Tranquil Thicket.This is a bug of new update.
Which card did behave improperly ?
Tranquil Thicket,Polluted Mire and Dirge of Dread possibly all cycling cards.

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
Manalink 2016/08/07: Eldritch Moon, duel

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
AI can use these or all cycling cards without crashing repeatedly.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
-
Attachments
tranquil thicket land cause crash.rar
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 26 Apr 2018, 12:35, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: fixed/closed in dev
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: [confirmed]Cycling cards when activated crash game

Postby Korath » 11 Aug 2016, 20:00

Looks like it'll do the same whenever a card is activated from a player's hand and isn't there anymore at resolution. Obviously a problem with cycling or other abilities that discard or exile it as a cost, but will also show up with e.g. Forecast if some other effect causes it to be discarded in the meantime. Was introduced in commit 08411fe0.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 11 Aug 2016, 20:29

Fixed GA_EXTRA_ACTIVATE_FROM_HAND in 5f7a19c, which includes at least cycling, forecast, and ninjutsu. All the other activate-the-rules-engine approximations look they were rewritten at around the same time, so they could use testing too; Torrent Elemental looks especially fragile, especially immediately after having activated other activate-via-rules-engine cards.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 12 Aug 2016, 00:26

There's enough cards with cycling and other discard-from-hand-to-activate abilities that this merits a bugfix release all by itself. I don't foresee having the energy for that, though, especially not when writing out the release post is such a time-consuming chunk of the process. Anyone willing to take over packaging and posting if I send you the new build?

(Experience with git or willingness to learn it on your own is a plus, since that'll mean less things I need to manually send you. Same for updating Magic.exe/Cards.dat/Rarity.dat/DBInfo.dat from Manalink.csv and ct_all.csv. And for that matter, building user-friendly single-file executable installers and updaters is a lot easier than you'd think if you've never done it before....)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 14 Aug 2016, 11:16

Rest of abilities handled by rules engine card:
- transmute = card is discarded,library doesn't open,mana gets rejected to pool.
- channel = when activated goes to stack and crashes.
- Unearth = when activated produces numerous dump errors then creature is removed from graveyard but doesn't come into play,only a blank text legacy card.

Torrent Elemental when activated is removed from exile but doesn't come back to battlefield and mana is rejected to pool.

Only Conspire works from the ones I tested.
I didn't test forecast and ninjutsu that korath said are affected.I don't know if there are any other group of abilities that trigger from rules engine except maybe cards with unique abilities like Torrent Elemental.

Korath will your fix work also for all the above abilities bugged?
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 14 Aug 2016, 21:47

It only fixes crashes when the activating card is no longer in hand at resolution, and apparently only those using a specific codepath. (I'd have expected transmute to crash as well.) The specific cards you tested with, please. (And a quick check through the cards I listed here would be appreciated.)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 15 Aug 2016, 05:48

Cards tested:
transmute:Muddle the Mixture,Drift of phantasms,Clutch of the Undercity all bugged the same away.(see post above).
channel: Shinen of the Life's Roar,Ghost-Lit Nourisher.Both crash.
unearth: Kathari Bomber,Fatestitcher.Both bugged the same away.(see post above).

Conspire that works tested with Ghastly Discovery and Æthertow.

I haven't got time to check the other cards now or anytime today.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Aswan jaguar » 18 Aug 2016, 08:54

I will not be able to check the other cards before Monday I am on vacation without manalink available.If anyone else wants to do it as I hear Korath will probably have a bug fixing version release short after this weekend you are welcome.It would be good if the cards are tested before that.
Link with cards that need testing:
viewtopic.php?t=18943
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby BAgate » 18 Aug 2016, 10:33

None of the cards in that list worked for me. When you select from the rules engine nothing happens (except an occasional crash). And Sekki, Seasons' Guide didn't even list in the rules engine.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 23 Aug 2016, 16:42

Korath wrote:There's enough cards with cycling and other discard-from-hand-to-activate abilities that this merits a bugfix release all by itself. I don't foresee having the energy for that, though, especially not when writing out the release post is such a time-consuming chunk of the process. Anyone willing to take over packaging and posting if I send you the new build?
If you still want help with this send me the files and I will package them and post them.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Aswan jaguar » 25 Aug 2016, 06:12

Also scavenge ability (tested Dreg Mangler) and cards that are similarly worded "exile "name of card" from your graveyard:" like Nearheath Chaplain produce errors and exile only the card without having any effect.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Korath » 26 Aug 2016, 05:23

OK, first batch - everything that activates from your hand, not from the graveyard or exile - fixed in 8c539b7. Elvish Spirit Guide, Faerie Macabre, Simian Spirit Guide, and the bloodrush, reinforce, and transmute mechanics all reported that they were cancelled during activation and so never resolved; and Arashi, the Sky Asunder, Circling Vultures, Ghost-Lit Nourisher, Ghost-Lit Raider, Ghost-Lit Redeemer, Ghost-Lit Stalker, Jiwari, the Earth Aflame, and Shinen of Life's Roar all incorrectly triggered Astral Slide, Invigorating Boon, and Lightning Rift. The actual crash with the channel cards was fixed by the earlier commit.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 26 Aug 2016, 06:01

As an aside, I'd like to say that however buggy and frustrating the initial release of the new rules engine API has turned out to be, it looks to be much easier to deal with than the previous system from the standpoint of programming individual cards.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 26 Aug 2016, 15:39

Activations from the graveyard fixed in 7c5bde9, Torrent Elemental in 05104b1. There's some other stuff broken here, mostly with things that should choose a target at announcement but don't until resolution, but everything listed thus far is working as well as it ever has.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Aswan jaguar » 27 Aug 2016, 07:04

Korath you didn't mention anything about cards activating/played from exile are these also fixed? Is everything here fixed (I mean those that wasn't before the new update also bugged)?
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Next

Return to Archived Reports