It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:58

Text Size

card explorer updates

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Re: card explorer updates

Postby Lodici » 12 Jun 2014, 06:20

Here is how I understand things...

I don't think we should generalize formats - formats/blocks and cubes are two distinct ways of defining a pool of cards. A format or block represents an official pool of cards which cannot be altered by a player and can only be updated via source and is deployed on each new version release. A cube lets a player define their own pool of cards - for example, I have created a MTGO 2014 Starter Kit cube. You might decide to deploy popular/officially recognised cubes but ultimately a cube can be created/amended by players.

The default cubes which are currently deployed with each new release - extended, legacy, modern & standard - should be deleted since these replicate the equivalent format so it is just confusing. But...

...these cubes cannot be deleted until the new duel workflow is altered - this is what we need to agree on first. Currently, you can select the deck or deck generator independently of the cube. For example, I can select "ubeefx" cube and then a prebuilt deck for each player which totally ignores the cube.

So in summary, here is a draft TODO -

• remove existing extended, legacy, modern & standard cubes.
  • revise duel setup such that..
    • cube/format selection should only apply to random deck generation, not the duel as a whole.
    • when selecting a random deck generator a player can elect to use an official format/block or a custom cube.

This way (as it behaves now) it is possible to have a duel when one player uses a prebuilt deck while the other uses a random deck generator restricted to a specific format/cube. To have a duel that is restricted to a format/cube as a whole it will need to filter out illegal pre-constructed decks.
Lodici
Programmer

Previous

Return to Development